Thread: Hair products

Hair products

Can someone please tell me the difference between the following and recommend a good brand and product?

Pomade
    wax
    hair cream (for styling)
    gel
    mousse
    etc.

I've tried all these products and am still dissatisfied with the results.

As a teen, I used Brylcream and it was gross! It made your hair dull and greasy, gave me acne on my forehead and left grease stains on caps and clothes. I use gel now but don't like the way it cements your hair.

I keep my hair short and spiky, and often sport the messy look. It's probably wishful thinking but is there a product that doesn't harden your hair, doesn't smell like tar, makes your hair fall back into place when the wind stops blowing, and most importantly, keeps it looking wet and shiny all day? I do wet my hair before gelling, should I be using a leave conditioner too?

Shampooooo
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.

There's a lot of different factors to consider but the long and short of it is that experimentation is key. Find a hairstyle that works for you, ideally one that's low maintenance and accentuates your best features. It may be more expensive but if you are going to use hair products then try to go for the ones that are made entirely from natural and non-harsh ingredients.

What works for one person isn't necessarily going to work for someone else though. To some extent it's a matter of genetics as well - my hair generally spikes up naturally by itself so I only have to use a bit of hairspray to style it. Wax I don't generally like due to the texture and because it doesn't tend to 'stick' for as long as hairspray does. Though one's mileage will vary...

Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    Can someone please tell me the difference between the following and recommend a good brand and product?

Pomade
    wax
    hair cream (for styling)
    gel
    mousse
    etc.

As a teen, I used Brylcream and it was gross! It made your hair dull and greasy, gave me acne on my forehead and left grease stains on caps and clothes. I use gel now but don't like the way it cements your hair.

I keep my hair short and spiky, and often sport the messy look. It's probably wishful thinking but is there a product that doesn't harden your hair, doesn't smell like tar, makes your hair fall back into place when the wind stops blowing, and most importantly, keeps it looking wet and shiny all day? I do wet my hair before gelling, should I be using a leave conditioner too?
    I use the gel that's classified as styling glue. I used it when I used to spike my hair when I was younger, but I actually like it now as it isn't really oily so my skin doesn't suffer(acne prone due to oily skin and hyper active immune system) and it also keeps my hair off my forehead which is also better for my face. Otherwise my hair seems pretty dull and lifeless.

Deleted
    I find semen is good for your hair.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Go bald, problem solved.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by purebalance View Post
    I use the gel that's classified as styling glue. I used it when I used to spike my hair when I was younger, but I actually like it now as it isn't really oily so my skin doesn't suffer(acne prone due to oily skin and hyper active immune system) and it also keeps my hair off my forehead which is also better for my face. Otherwise my hair seems pretty dull and lifeless.
    Did it make your hair look wet? Can you recommend a brand?

Quote Originally Posted by rawhammer View Post
    Talking from experience? lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rawhammer View Post
    Most women hate it with a passion though. Don't try a sales pitch with em lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post

Pomade
    wax
    hair cream (for styling)
    gel
    mousse
    etc.

The correct answer would be.....
    1. Dermatologist... Ask a doctor, he will tell you from the medical aspect what YOUR head needs.
    2. Barber.... Ask a barber, which can be a hit and miss. A good barber informs you well what's good for YOUR hair. A bad barber just wants to sell you overpriced hair products.

Otherwise there really isn't a better answer, since we're all different and what's good for my hair, can be very bad for yours.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    The correct answer would be.....
    1. Dermatologist... Ask a doctor, he will tell you from the medical aspect what YOUR head needs.
    2. Barber.... Ask a barber, which can be a hit and miss. A good barber informs you well what's good for YOUR hair. A bad barber just wants to sell you overpriced hair products.

Otherwise there really isn't a better answer, since we're all different and what's good for my hair, can be very bad for yours.
    I'm not after any sort of treatment, I'm seeking particular effects.

Deleted
    Shave head, grow beard, be a viking.

You might need to rent an axe, and a longboat.

Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    Shave head, grow beard, be a viking.

You might need to rent an axe, and a longboat.
    I thought everyone had an axe, and a longboat.