Is Arcane supposed to feel so...rng?

Between crits, pof proccing on a target I want, pof proccing on a target that isn't going to die in two seconds, pof proccing on crystal, UM procs, UM procs on a crit, arcane missiles, 4pc buff my dps feels more rng than fire. Sure, I'd say that I know I'm going to do anywhere from 70-75k and that's not too bad of a range to rely on, but when I can also hit 80k+ or sometimes fall to 65k because I got screwed out of procs at the wrong time it's just strange. It feels worse than fire. I've had extreme cases where I went from 90k on fel lord to 67k on the next, it's just absolutely frustrating.

Deleted
    Arcane is currently the spec in the game (out of all classes) with the most variance, even on single target.

So yes, it is "supposed" to feel RNG. Whether it was intended by blizzard, who knows.

well, I've done 580k dps on pull on archimonde heroic and sometimes I barely hit 300k, so yeah, it's pretty rng alright

It's not anything to do with the spec. It's all set bonuses and trinkets this time around.

The opener is all sorts of ridiculous RNG its not fun at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nitros14 View Post
    It's not anything to do with the spec. It's all set bonuses and trinkets this time around.
    Prismatic crystal and POF are the huge culprits.

Deleted
    I think they done goofed with Arcane Missiles lately, since they may affect the burn phase so much. I wasn't playing Arcane or Mage since Cata and I was surprised how it is now. It's like they made it less critical to fuck up the rotation (since they made the burn much longer) but they made it more unpredictable.

Frankly it was much better in Cata. You knew that you would have a predictable burn with extremely low variation. But you knew you would be enormously gimped if you did a mistake on when you started the burn or if you failed to continue the burn so that made it equal, especially in the hardest fights.

I think they just tried to make it less of a critical job to not fail the rotation and the spec became duller, less unique.

I would not say it was perfect before though. e.g. It was probably right that I was yelled at by our Hunter that I had it too easy on some bosses since I could just faceroll top DPS without effort. Though still he didn't know on other bosses Arcane was the hardest spec in the game..

Quote Originally Posted by tobindax View Post
    It was probably right that I was yelled at by our Hunter that I had it too easy on some bosses
    Coming from a Hunter lol

(I main a Hunter)

It is a conscientous design choice by Blizzard to put a lot of RNG in the game. The spread between good and bad players were too good with predictable stuff like on-use trinkets so they made every dps class have a lot of RNG to "balance" things out. Before a good mage could do easily twice the damage of a typical lfr mouthbreather in the exact same gear. With RNG, the spread is much more close.

In a way it's easy to understand since its hard to design end-bosses with that big a spread, but it is pretty frustrating to play with and also to not be that much higher than some neckbeard in all the pugs you see.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchmagoz View Post

So yes, it is "supposed" to feel RNG. Whether it was intended by blizzard, who knows.
    If it is suppose to feel that way then it has to be intended.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    If it is suppose to feel that way then it has to be intended.
    I meant, the math backs up his feeling of RNG, not that it was intended by blizzard.

Yeah due to trinkets and set bonuses Arcane is the most RNG spec in the game. Arcane "bad" RNG still should do well over other classes but a great RNG fight you should be so far ahead of the next dps its silly.
    Ive had a 3 Minute fight where doom nova ONLY procced on pull and then on an add that died straight away about 1.5 mins in. Thoughout this whole fight i only got 3 4pc procs the whole 3 minutes. So yeah that wasnt a great attempt for me haha.

Deleted
    Arcane Missiles is the worst spell in the spec basically. Not because it's not fun in itself, it's quite pew-pew on its own. But because it appears to completely govern if your burn phase is going to be much longer or just die early, by just listening to the gods of the Random Number Generator.

The spec was much more unique and special when it would be a total cannon for only up to 20 seconds and then returned to a casual low to moderate DPS, but at the cost that if you didn't know when exactly to burn and not to burn, you would be gimped.

Deep down the main reason was probably PvP. The spec could almost one-shot someone in certain scenarios. It also had the handicap of the spec even more pronounced though since if your burn broke (and it was extremely easy to break there), dead.