View Poll Results: If you were a refugee, what country would you flee to?

Voters
25. This poll is closed
  • I don't know

0 0%
  • US

2 8.00%
  • Greece

1 4.00%
  • France

1 4.00%
  • Britain

2 8.00%
  • Germany

5 20.00%
  • Hungary

0 0%
  • Norway

1 4.00%
  • Sweden

2 8.00%
  • Canada

9 36.00%
  • Saudi Arabia

2 8.00%
  • Denmark

0 0%

If you were a refugee, what country would you flee too and why?

I believe that under International law you can claim refugee status in any country that you can reach. This allows you some freedom of choice. If you were a Syrian, Eritrean or Afghani refugee, which country would your flee to to claim your refugee status? Why would you pick this country?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Australia would be my only consideration. But as an American I would probably refuse and die here instead.

Reason: cars.

Deleted
    Let's see.

*A country that is unlikely to shoot me at the border or attempt to send me back, so that rules out the Arabic countries as well as Russia, China and USA. And I hear they shoot the artillery cannons at immigrant boats in Australia.
    *A country where I can actually find work and/or education, so that rules out Eastern Europe.

Guess it's the old European cool guy club countries: France, Germany, Spain, Italy etc...

Canada because why not eh?

Somewhere in Latin America...

Deleted
    I don't want to get infracted/banned for nation bashing but I have to ask, why did you list Saudi Arabia as a country to flee to?. Seems like one of the countries people would want to flee from.

To answer the OP, probably Germany, or Canada.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I believe that under International law you can claim refugee status in any country that you can reach. This allows you some freedom of choice. If you were a Syrian, Eritrean or Afghani refugee, which country would your flee to to claim your refugee status? Why would you pick this country?
    Who Is a Refugee?

Article 1(A)(2) of the 1951 Convention defines a refugee as an individual who is outside his or her country of nationality or habitual residence who is unable or unwilling to return due to a well-founded fear of persecution based on his or her race, religion, nationality, political opinion, or membership in a particular social group.

Applying this definition, internally displaced persons (IDPs) – including individuals fleeing natural disasters and generalized violence, stateless individuals not outside their country of habitual residence or not facing persecution, and individuals who have crossed an international border fleeing generalized violence are not considered refugees under either the 1951 Convention or the 1967 Optional Protocol.
    http://www.ijrcenter.org/refugee-law/

In short... You have to have a valid reason, and have to be able to show proof that you're in danger.

Anyway, that background makes it rather difficult for me to choose any country.
    I'd have to know a valid reason why I would be unable to return home, or flee home.
    By sheer logic, and my country of origin, the only option would then be Saudi Arabia. And that's what I voted.
    All others are buddy buddy with Germany, so they are not valid options for a German.
    They'd just hand me over to the German authorities.
    And for that matter, maybe South America would be an option.
    Last edited by Wildtree; 2015-09-05 at 02:38 PM.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Deleted
    If the Greek economy was in a good state and someone could find a job there relatively easy, i would definitely say Greece. I believe it's the best place to live in this planet. But now that the Greek economy is in a terrible shape i would suggest Germany/Sweden/Denmark. These are countries with many advantages and few disadvantages.

Anything Nordic since anything else would be a massive step down in living.

seek out the mountains

Germany, because I have the German passport, so that saves me a lot of hassle.