Page 1 of 23
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Smile Thinner Beauty Is Using Photoshop to Help Plus-Size Women Lose Weight

http://mic.com/articles/124348/thinn...to-lose-weight

Good idea really.

Thinner Beauty endeavors to "help" plus-size women lose weight. It does this by offering Photoshopped images of what they could look like if they were thinner.

"We do this [encourage them] by showing how much more beautiful they could be if they made the difficult, lifelong commitment to a regimen of personal fitness," reads a banner on the group's subreddit.

The movement is operating on many platforms, with Facebook, Instagram and Twitter pages (all three of which have been removed), a subreddit, a Twitter hashtag and its own website. It's also affiliated with Project Harpoon, which has the same mission and bases their name off the "man the harpoons" meme, which consists of pictures of people considered overweight (suggesting they are whales and should, therefore, be harpooned).

The Thinner Beauty website features a gallery of "before and after" photos: Plus-size women's bodies are dramatically manipulated to take on very different shapes
    As usual guess who is all offended once again?

15+ Year Old Account
    The "by showing how much more beautiful they could be" is where they kind of botched their message, that's what's going to set people off.
    Take a break from politics once in awhile, it's good for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh triggers have been....triggered

10+ Year Old Account
    They are right though? There's no beauty in being obese.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Where does it end tho?

Pretty much every picture of every model and celebrity you see are heavily photoshopped. No matter how fit or hot you are, you would look better after some photoshop.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    I once had a manager that was very much into BBWs, turns out there's even parties for BBWs & admirers.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wait, so, when you lose weight, the boobs remain the same?

Can someone confirm this?!?!

The one where the fat red head is made a thinner red head. Would bang like a drum if I was a single man.

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by BotFen View Post
    Wait, so, when you lose weight, the boobs remain the same?

Can someone confirm this?!?!
    Not completely the same. They'll be smaller, but a higher percentage of their mass will be glandular tissue.

Also the photoshopper here didn't really account for the loss of fat in the face too. She'll also be wrinklier and have a bonier face.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hate the fat acceptance movement. It's disgusting.
    It promotes poor health, increases the risk of cardiovascular diseases, increases diabetes, lowers life expectancy and quality of life and facilitates an environment when fat people don't take responsibility for themselves and their health.

I'm glad this is happening, I know people will hate on me for it, but fat shaming can save lives. I don't feel one bit bad if my giving someone a hard time about being a fatass, pushes them to actually fucking do something about it.
    Let's make America GREAT again. Trump 2016.

The community whined and bitched and cried, they stamped their little feet and demanded faster expansion releases. They don't get to complain now that expansions are shorter.

I like this. Yeah, it's amusing how people can get so offended over trivial shit like this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovecrafts View Post
    I hate the fat acceptance movement. It's disgusting.
    That's subjective.

It promotes poor health, increases the risk of cardiovascular diseases, increases diabetes, lowers life expectancy and quality of life and facilitates an environment when fat people don't take responsibility for themselves and their health.
    I agree on this part.

I'm glad this is happening, I know people will hate on me for it, but fat shaming can save lives. I don't feel one bit bad if my giving someone a hard time about being a fatass, pushes them to actually fucking do something about it.
    Shaming can have three results:

• People will see the rationale and do changes in their lives.
    • People will create self-preservating movements in self-protection. This is generally caused by anxiety of judgement, whichever the original reason.
    • People will stop going outside and stay unhealthy to dodge judgements alltogether.

I never understood the shaming mentality. Yes, it's pushing a small minority of people to make changes. But that's the issue, it's only pushing a small minority and then this minority start bullying people who are fat. Honestly, it feel like we try to segregate a group of people without trying to understand their own rational and help them from there.

We shouldn't shame, we should encourage. We should congratulate people who are healthy and we should encourage people who are not, not shame them.

It seems like a good way to motivate people to lose weight, giving them a visual goal and keep them focused if it's something they look at everyday to keep on track with their weight loss. I don't see the problem with this.

Thing is, there's plus-size like Ashley Graham, and then there's morbidly obese like that tattooed redhead. I don't think morbid obesity should be accepted, because it is very unhealthy, causes people to lead a life of disability and leads to premature death. Morbidly obese people should not be promoted as objects of beauty.

That said, I don't think shaming works. I'd rather see a fact-based approach as to why being morbidly obese is not healthy and not something one should emulate. If one refuses to change, then fuck em and there's nothing you can do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anything to get more people wanting to lose weight is a good thing in my eyes.

I remember when this whole 4chan thing started wasn't it called the Harpoon Project then?
    WORLD POPULATION
    U.S pop 318.2 million,Mexico pop 122.3 million ,Russia 143.5 million S.K 50.22 million China 1.357 billion ,United Kingdom 64.1 million, Europe "as a whole" 742.5 million, Canada 35.16 million, South America 387.5 million,Africa 1.111 billion , Middle east 205 Million , Asia "not counting china" 3.009 B ,Greenland 56k,, Iceland 323k, S/N pole 1k-5k/2k

10+ Year Old Account
    I highly doubt they know how to photoshop into realistic standards once thin. So I'm not crazy about this approach.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    I highly doubt they know how to photoshop into realistic standards once thin. So I'm not crazy about this approach.
    This. So much this. Setting someone up for a goal that is incredibly unrealistic is not going to end well. People should want to lose weight for health reasons, not because they MIGHT look like an unrealistic image generated by someone with talents with photoshop.

Also, shaming is still not the right answer either. Encouraging people to want to be healthier is fine, browbeating is not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom4u2 View Post
    That's subjective.

I agree on this part.

Shaming can have three results:

• People will see the rationale and do changes in their lives.
    • People will create self-preservating movements in self-protection. This is generally caused by anxiety of judgement, whichever the original reason.
    • People will stop going outside and stay unhealthy to dodge judgements alltogether.

I never understood the shaming mentality. Yes, it's pushing a small minority of people to make changes. But that's the issue, it's only pushing a small minority and then this minority start bullying people who are fat. Honestly, it feel like we try to segregate a group of people without trying to understand their own rational and help them from there.

We shouldn't shame, we should encourage. We should congratulate people who are healthy and we should encourage people who are not, not shame them.

Stop handling people with kids gloves. That's part of the reason why everyone's so goddamned offended all the time. Grow a thicker skin and toughen up.
    You want to be a lazy sod and eat and eat and not exercise and turn into an unsightly blob? You deserve to be heckled a bit.
    Let's make America GREAT again. Trump 2016.

The community whined and bitched and cried, they stamped their little feet and demanded faster expansion releases. They don't get to complain now that expansions are shorter.

Shes fine. I'd hit it as is even. If she lost weight... even better.