Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

"Artifacts are an alternative path"

Ok so recent interview had this quote about progression:

Players often say they have the most fun during the start of the expansion when there is so much to do. After that the progression options narrow, as the main focus is on increasing your item level. Artifacts are an alternative path that keep things interesting and relevant.

So basically
    raiding = item level
    everything else = artifact level?

If this is true then I would be very disappointed that they are continuing raid or die model
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGamer030 View Post
    I do not need to be constructive in this thread, nor provide an argument. There is nothing here to actually debate. Your reasoning is flawed and thusly you have no argument.
    ↑ Epitome of Internet Logic

Why do people think raiding and dying are mutually exclusive? When I raided I used to die all the time.

Deleted
    I'm really confused..

Is this a thread complaining about how to get the best gear, you have to raid?

Or am I missing something?

7+ Year Old Account
    You still get gear from other sources it would be crazy to think not, they are saying that you have another reason to do older content after launch because of artifact power like dungeons or world content

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Why do people think raiding and dying are mutually exclusive? When I raided I used to die all the time.
    topkek

In all seriousness - wow is an mmo rpg, you're supposed to group up to do pve content. THAT is the core of WoW. Raiding is what you're supposed to do in wow, everything else is just stuff for you to do outside of raiding. PvP is a side-game (yes). A well developed sidegame with lots of content (arguable).

10+ Year Old Account
    As I understand it's their attempt to give you a reason to do other content without actually giving you a reason to do other content. Likely raids will still award the best upgrades for the artifact making all other content worthless once again.

You'll be able to increase your Artifact Power, and likely its ilvl, though most non-raid content, providing a larger variety of activities that will grant character strength and improvement other than raiding.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PrairieChicken View Post
    Ok so recent interview had this quote about progression:

Players often say they have the most fun during the start of the expansion when there is so much to do. After that the progression options narrow, as the main focus is on increasing your item level. Artifacts are an alternative path that keep things interesting and relevant.

So basically
    raiding = item level
    everything else = artifact level?

If this is true then I would be very disappointed that they are continuing raid or die model
    It makes raiders do the non raiding content. And did you really expect to ever be more powerful than a raider? that's funny
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

While unlikely, it would be an interesting design if the weapons were not improved through raiding, only through other activities. Raiding, of course, would still grant piles of other high-ilvl gear, but if it didn't do anything for the weapons beyond what other activities did... Might help reinvigorate some other parts of the game.

Or it might just make things worse, who knows.

Deleted
    The problem with artifact weapons is, in the end you're probably going to just chainrun dungeons until you have them maxed out.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by babuschka View Post
    The problem with artifact weapons is, in the end you're probably going to just chainrun dungeons until you have them maxed out.
    There will most likely be a cap on how much you can gain per week

Also is that really a bad thing since it gives more reason to do other content and is something to do each day besides garrison type stuff
    Last edited by Fawkess; 2015-09-11 at 03:01 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuyn View Post
    While unlikely, it would be an interesting design if the weapons were not improved through raiding, only through other activities. Raiding, of course, would still grant piles of other high-ilvl gear, but if it didn't do anything for the weapons beyond what other activities did... Might help reinvigorate some other parts of the game.

Or it might just make things worse, who knows.
    I feel like blizzard should have learned forcing content isn't what you want. You want people to want to do content. Giving sweet mogs for artifacts will help that. People do things for cosmetic rewards all the time. They just need to be worth grinding for (Cough store is bad for the game cough)
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Riptor View Post
    There will most likely be a cap on how much you can gain per week

Also is that really a bad thing since it gives more reason to do other content and is something to do each day besides garrison type stuff
    Then you're just gonna grind dungeons until you hit that cap each week. Yay, weekly caps are such fun.

7+ Year Old Account
    Then you're just gonna grind dungeons until you hit that cap each week. Yay, weekly caps are such fun.
    Yeah but they dont want you to just max out your artifact power in 1 week and complain about having nothing to do

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Riptor View Post
    Yeah but they dont want you to just max out your artifact power in 1 week and complain about having nothing to do
    But the thing I'm doing is not new content. I'm just gonna do the same dungeons again.

10+ Year Old Account
    But the thing I'm doing is not new content. I'm just gonna do the same dungeons again.
    You know that for a fact, huh?
    ill probably be infracted for this post

The whole point of the artifact system was to give you something to do while doing what you want to do. Like PvP, dungeons etc, relics from raiding will most likely only be important IF you raid, if you don't, who cares?

7+ Year Old Account
    So? whats wrong with that, we have 9 new dungeons which means you have a 1 in 9 chance of getting the same one so your not always just doing the same one. we may also see new ones later down the line as well

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferg View Post
    You know that for a fact, huh?
    What for a fact? That I'm gonna run the same dungeons for leveling up my artifact weapon that I ran for gear or leveling up my character earlier in that expansion? Do you think there will be artifact-exclusive dungeons, that are just for leveling up your artifacts?

10+ Year Old Account
    What for a fact? That I'm gonna run the same dungeons for leveling up my artifact weapon that I ran for gear or leveling up my character earlier in that expansion? Do you think there will be artifact-exclusive dungeons, that are just for leveling up your artifacts?
    Do you have any idea how you're going to level your artifact weapon at all?
    ill probably be infracted for this post