Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Why do people want a new mount/model every time they add a mount?

On youtube all comments of the new mounts are floated with;

"Woah, that's a brand new model! From 2006 :O"
    "They're not even trying anymore."
    "Nothing special. Just a recolored version of the dragonhawk mounts we already have in game."
    "ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS. HAHAHAHAHA, THAT RESKIN!"

Seriously, People never were this mount obsessed around wotlk/cata days, why people MUST have a new mount now for everything.

This is just timewalking and it DELIVERS a TBC mount for your TBC Timewalking.

Having to use an older model in game doesn't mean it's bad. There are like 2 versions of dragonhawks, so we finally have a 3rd one.

Whats the unneseccary hate? Are you so spoiled IRL and in WoW that you just want more?
    Last edited by Gimlix; 2015-09-08 at 12:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

Deleted
    No, players just want some cool mounts with new unique models to be available in-game (through playing you know) and not only in the cash shop for 20$.

Deleted
    imo, there are plenty of new mounts although they sometimes take the recoloring a bit too far (like the boars right now).

Becuase 90% of the mounts are useless and just different colors? They could remove the duplicated mounts noone would even realise them gone... noone needs 10 times the same boar mount but different colors and so on... oh I forgot you need for the achievement count. People want Blizzard to work for their money and just stop releasing same mounts over and over again with different colors just to save a couple days of work on a new model.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    Seriously, People never were this mount obsessed around wotlk/cata days, why people MUST have a new mount now for everything.
    We must have been playing a very different game. It was in WOTLK when the comments started.

I don't think anyone honestly expects a brand new model for every single mount. But I'm glad that the video on the frontpage was offensive enough to you to warrant this thread in which you call everyone spoiled based upon a couple of YouTube video posts --which are pretty much always a wretched hive.

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by imunreal View Post
    We must have been playing a very different game. It was in WOTLK when the comments started.
    Indeed. "Oh look, another DRAKE!"

Because in WotLK/Cata we actually had new mount skeletons or at the very least, significantly different models on an old skeleton. And even the ones that were reskins were in their own ways unique - you knew where the blue drake came from, you knew where the bronze drake came from, and you knew where the red drake came from. If WoD brought 25 new mounts (hypothetically), 8 are talbuks, 8 are wolves, 8 are hippos, 8 are elekks and the 25th is a gronn, and they all look the same with the hue/saturation sliders dialed differently. Doesn't matter if an expansion brings 500 new mounts if the only difference between them is the color of their eyes. And you just know that they can, and have made mounts that are way better and clearly stand out, even if they are reskins/remodels, they'd just rather charge you 20 bucks for them. Eg. The Grinning Reaver is clearly a reworked AQ40 mount, but the fact that it's so well made means that it doesn't really matter. The Fey Dragon is fucking awesome. I don't care if it uses the old drake animations, they've clearly invested a hundred times the effort they put into GenericWolfModel_GreenOverlay_01.
    Last edited by Thirteen; 2015-09-08 at 12:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootybear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Valancer View Post
    I play as a holy priest and when I ran hfc lfr I noticed after the first boss my heal spell wasn't casting. So I looked at it and it shows that it has a 34.4 min cast time
    Do you have the class trinket? If so, the cast time is correct. /s

Isn't that just a mob scaled up? Pretty sure that is the color of my hunter's pet. They didn't even bother putting a saddle or armor on the low res model. It doesn't seem worth making a video about it and putting it in the wow news.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryci View Post
    People want Blizzard to work for their money and just stop releasing same mounts over and over again with different colors just to save a couple days of work on a new model.
    I think this more than anything else. Heck, 7 or 8 years ago Blizzard explicitly said that the reason they charge a monthly fee is to provide the players with more things (including content).

http://www.wowhead.com/item=98259/ar...lue-dragonhawk
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=98104/ar...red-dragonhawk

True joke is, they've at least done a higher definition texture for that model twice before. Couldn't even tell you if the new one looks any different from those available.

10+ Year Old Account
    On youtube all comments of the new mounts are floated with;

"Woah, that's a brand new model! From 2006 :O"
    "They're not even trying anymore."
    "Nothing special. Just a recolored version of the dragonhawk mounts we already have in game."
    "ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS. HAHAHAHAHA, THAT RESKIN!"

This is just timewalking and it DELIVERS a TBC mount for your TBC Timewalking.

Having to use an older model in game doesn't mean it's bad. There are like 2 versions of dragonhawks, so we finally have a 3rd one.

Whats the unneseccary hate? Are you so spoiled IRL and in WoW that you just want more?
    There are newer versions of dragonhawks for the 200mount achievement, they are probably too lazy to farm that and want even easier access to things they cant have.

Quote Originally Posted by Mekh View Post
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=98259/ar...lue-dragonhawk
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=98104/ar...red-dragonhawk

True joke is, they've at least done a higher definition texture for that model twice before. Couldn't even tell you if the new one looks any different from those available.
    Of course they do, just not from those god awful shots haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Cien View Post
    There are newer versions of dragonhawks for the 200mount achievement, they are probably too lazy to farm that and want even easier access to things they cant have.

Of course they do, just not from those god awful shots haha.
    tbh, I'm with the angry crowd on this one, even though I have the 200 mount birdy and no intention to farm the timewarped thing. Why? Because it annoys me that after all this faffing about with new character models and all, there's somebody in their art department going "Yup, that's good enough to publish!". Unless of course that's meant as a nod to the TBC nostalgia crowd.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Let's see here...most of the new in game mounts for actual collectors are reskins. But the cash shop mounts? Flashy new models, flashy new animations, flashy new everything.

I just can't imagine how anyone would be upset at that.

But seriously, half of being a mount collector is to show off your accomplishments. When a reward for doing something amazing in the game is so bland people won't even know it is associated with an achievement and even worse, won't care, it is mortifying for those people.

Then to see Johnny Wallet riding around on a new flashy Moose, not a care in the world about collecting mounts....And let's be clear. This isn't an issue of haves and have-nots, it's the fact that the quality level is so skewed.
    BAD WOLF

The issue with reusing old animations for new mounts is that 1: the quality of older rigs tends to be quite low, and 2: it makes all these mounts feel too similar to eachother.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    Let's see here...most of the new in game mounts for actual collectors are reskins. But the cash shop mounts? Flashy new models, flashy new animations, flashy new everything.
    That's not entirely true. At least half the shop mounts reuse animations from existing mobs or other mounts.

And being 'flashy' doesn't make it better.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Firespark View Post
    That's not entirely true. At least half the shop mounts reuse animations from existing mobs or other mounts.

And being 'flashy' doesn't make it better.
    We are comparing a model that was likely made in 2005 being provided as a reward for both the 200 mount achieve and now this grindy as all get out accomplishment. We all know what I mean with what I say. Nitpicking on details doesn't make the case valid, it just makes it look even worse by comparison.

Having more polys and better textures ('being flashy') certainly does make it better. Both objectively and subjectively. Sure there may be some old mounts that are favorites, but most people prefer things that look good when we're talking about cosmetic items. B/c that's what mounts are, since they provide no other benefits or systems.

Edit: So it comes down to the hundreds and hundreds of dungeons you run gets you this low quality, reused asset vs spending $25.00 to get a brand new magical moose. And people don't understand why this would make people upset?
    BAD WOLF

People get mad because they add 15 boars that are reskins/models of a shitty old skeleton (hence why they look ridiculous when they move) to the game, and then they add a unique new model to the store. People should be mad that in the old days the unique mounts were locked behind gameplay, now all the unique mounts are locked behind a credit card.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

I don't mind reskins, that results a whole new mount (from proto drake to firehawk for example), but I'm just sooooo fed up with endless recolors and horses. As I said in another thread, if Blizz really wanted to reward the players why not give us an Infinite Dragon (modified drake, but it's fine in my opinion because of the colors and additions it has) for the BC event, and the Sapphiron model bone drake for wotlk? Or just no more horses?

(Btw, this Wraithcharger has some really weird tail, that gives me the shiver. I don't know it's just .. something is really bad with that tail, especially when the mount starts to run. Waaa. Reminds me of the movie The Exorcist. WAA! )

I doubt people say they want a new model for EVERY mount, but in WoD we hardly got any new models and there are so many bland recolors. Not even previous expansions made it look so obvious. And it doesn't help that the cash shop has mounts where actually quite a lot of work went into, and look far better than anything WoD offers. Yet its locked behind a paywall instead of earning it yourself in the game. Not everyone likes to be double-dibbed.

WoD just put a giant spotlight on pretty much what was going on since the game's launch by making it seem like every faction sells an overpriced wolf or pig mount after requiring you to grind mobs while world mob models with saddles on them are sold for $25 each. WoD handled it so terribly that I can't tell if it was indifference or intentional.

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    I doubt people say they want a new model for EVERY mount, but in WoD we hardly got any new models and there are so many bland recolors.
    We did get quite a few new models actually. But they way that you get them makes it seem like all you're getting are wolves and pigs. They didn't put a lot of thought into which factions gave you which mounts so it ends up feeling like you're getting overwhelmed with recolors and nothing is new. We'd probably have a different perspective if only that goblin conservation faction sold hippos, only the Frostwolves or some other orc faction sold wolves, only a Draenei faction sold Elekks and so on. Because of how they're given out we end up bombarded with the same mount over and over from different sources.

Quote Originally Posted by Lei View Post
    (Btw, this Wraithcharger has some really weird tail, that gives me the shiver. I don't know it's just .. something is really bad with that tail, especially when the mount starts to run. Waaa. Reminds me of the movie The Exorcist. WAA! )
    Metal shouldn't bend like a tail made of hair and yet that metal bends like a tail made of hair?
    Last edited by manypillars; 2015-09-08 at 04:48 PM.