Sub Logs -- Can someone look them over?

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...-done&source=8

That was our progression kill of M Gorefiend last night. While I do understand that progression and farm change things, when comparing myself to fights of similar time, I cannot for the life of my figure out what I can do to add 10-15k more DPS. One log of another Rogue I checked who I had more damage done from every one of my abilities had 5 million more damage from Soul Cap damage with only 2 more procs. They may have lined up a bit better during Feast of Souls, but I can't imagine it was enough to warrant that much of a damage difference.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...pe=damage-done

Here's our latest Mythic Iron Reaver kill. While I understand that top ranks are obtained by killing it around the 2-3 minute mark, I found some Rogues within the 4:30-5:00 minute areas who were still doing 8-10k more DPS. (https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...done&source=13. In that log, the Sub Rogue's Soul Cap doubled mines damage and had 3x as much Maalus damage.

Am I missing something? In the past I regularly parsed within atleast 90%, most of the times 95%, but lately I seem to be falling short. I can't figure out if it's something I'm doing wrong or if it's just a matter of RNG/slower kill times.

Any and all help is appreciated!
    Last edited by Layke; 2015-09-18 at 03:15 PM.

Kill time will affect dps on Gorefiend more than anything else. Damage from soul cap is very RNG dependent as well. Looking at the two Iron Reaver's you linked - the rogue you are comparing to had two back to back procs on the pull.

The ring usage is not optimal either. On Reaver you can get 2 rings off before he goes up, so you essentially lost a ring use on that kill, not to mention the 2nd ring was used at the worst possible time considering CDs (which is why the other rogue had a lot more maalus damage).

You can optimize your opener a bit by doing vanish > SR+Rupture > Shadow Dance (you are doing vanish > SD+SR > Rupture).
    Your energy profile suggests that you do not pool much outside of CDs / procs (you are constantly energy starved).
    Stop using hemo, it is no longer a dps increase (unless you are switching to add and do not have a rupture ready for it).

Quote Originally Posted by Sinist View Post
    Kill time will affect dps on Gorefiend more than anything else. Damage from soul cap is very RNG dependent as well. Looking at the two Iron Reaver's you linked - the rogue you are comparing to had two back to back procs on the pull.

The ring usage is not optimal either. On Reaver you can get 2 rings off before he goes up, so you essentially lost a ring use on that kill, not to mention the 2nd ring was used at the worst possible time considering CDs (which is why the other rogue had a lot more maalus damage).

You can optimize your opener a bit by doing vanish > SR+Rupture > Shadow Dance (you are doing vanish > SD+SR > Rupture).
    Your energy profile suggests that you do not pool much outside of CDs / procs (you are constantly energy starved).
    Stop using hemo, it is no longer a dps increase (unless you are switching to add and do not have a rupture ready for it).
    Ya, I see that now. Up until the 2:00 minute mark, my damage and his are about even. Then, his Soul Cap procced right as he popped all his CDs and Maalus at the 2:03 mark, sky rocketing him past me. I was saving my CDs for after Blitz, but he used them and rode the Blitz out. Is that what Rogues do to rank on Iron Reaver?

Quote Originally Posted by Layke View Post
    Ya, I see that now. Up until the 2:00 minute mark, my damage and his are about even. Then, his Soul Cap procced right as he popped all his CDs and Maalus at the 2:03 mark, sky rocketing him past me. I was saving my CDs for after Blitz, but he used them and rode the Blitz out. Is that what Rogues do to rank on Iron Reaver?
    Yes, you can take the 1st blitz charge, then use cloak before the 2nd takes you back and you end up with no debuff and little damage taken.

Deleted
    Energy management, he has a better opener (wasted 1 less GCD), his Spirit shift did far more damage which means he got a lot luckier on trinket proc. Overall, I'd say you played better just got unlucky with RNG. You seem to have 2 more ambushes while also having a lower speed kill. Another rule of thumb is to apply rupture before you start using SD, could save you 1 GCD / extra ambush. He also had 3 usages of the legendary ring, where you had only 2.

EDIT : Talking about Iron reaver

Yes, you can take the 1st blitz charge, then use cloak before the 2nd takes you back and you end up with no debuff and little damage taken.
    I'm an idiot for not thinking to do that. Alright, thanks a lot! Really appreciate the reply.

Lastly, do you think you could look over my M Gorefiend parse and compare it to another Rogue? I went back and found the guy I was talking about. Similar kill time, but 10k difference in DPS.

Me @ 97k DPS - https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...-done&source=8

Hotdog @ 107k DPS - https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...-done&source=7

A quick look shows he had an insanely lucky string of Soul Cap procs at the start, as well as 2 procs during the first Feast of Souls (start and middle), compared to me only having 1 Soul Cap proc right as Feast was ending. Do you think that was pretty much where the difference is coming from? I'm also noticing that Hotdog bursted much higher than I did at the start and I'm curious as to why.

@Dahakka: Ya, I noticed that he was doing SR --> Rupture --> SD whereas I was doing SD/SR --> Rupture. Only a difference of one Ambush, but every little bit counts. Any chance you can look over the M Gorefiend logs I posted? In both of our openers, I'm bursting for 1.4m damage at 117k DPS whereas Hotdog is opening up with 3.8m damage at 281.5k DPS. Not sure why that's happening. We both got 6 Ambushes off within our Spirit Shift. Only difference was he got 3 Evis and I got 2, but I don't see how an extra Eviscerate is hat big of a gap.
    Last edited by Layke; 2015-09-18 at 04:43 PM.

Your low burst on the pull is because your spirit eruption was split on the corrupted souls, and overkilled them by a huge amount, meaning you wasted like 2/3 of it's damage. You can see what I am talking about here: link

Look at the eruption at the 00:00:11.436 mark and notice the overkill marked as (O: xxxxxx)

As you stated, the additional soul cap proc during the feast makes a big difference as well. You also had two digests whereas the other rogue only had one.

Your low burst on the pull is because your spirit eruption was split on the corrupted souls, and overkilled them by a huge amount, meaning you wasted like 2/3 of it's damage. You can see what I am talking about here: link

Look at the eruption at the 00:00:11.436 mark and notice the overkill marked as (O: xxxxxx)

As you stated, the additional soul cap proc during the feast makes a big difference as well. You also had two digests whereas the other rogue only had one.
    Yup, that's it. I couldn't figure out why I was bursting so low some attempts, as there were some pulls where I'd jump much higher. Didn't realize I had players on top of me, cause they shouldn't have been there. Oh well. Thanks a lot for helping me dig through these logs. You told me all I wanted to know!

Ok, so 2 things to look at to see whats going on. The short version is RNG is why you don't have higher numbers not your uptimes or casts. I'll explain how you can tell the difference. First off, don't ever have any expectation to rank unless you are getting shadowdance's into your soul cap, this is doubly true on gorefiend feasts. Next for your iron reaver, you just got hit by a brick of bad rng, on your 37 ambushes, only 10% of them crit - this kills the parse. While one offs are fun to get, I've had plenty of rank 2-10's this tier, its complete luck. Having a consistent set of 85-95% parses means more than the one pull you had 70% soulcap uptime. When you constantly measure up to that level, every pull no exception, eventually you will strike the rng required to get some of those godly parses.

Also, if I'm seeing this right, you cast hemo 31 times on just gorefiend himself, I can understand some of the casts when swapping to adds but on the boss itself that is very excessive. You should try and limit your hemo's to ~8-12 on that fight maximum. Unless your comp is really straining for add damage, a general rule to follow is if you aren't going to get at least 3 finishers on the target before it dies, it's probably not worth your time to swap. Obviously when you go down into the stomach that isn't the case.
    Last edited by pythagoris; 2015-09-18 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pythagoris View Post
    Ok, so 2 things to look at to see whats going on. The short version is RNG is why you don't have higher numbers not your uptimes or casts. I'll explain how you can tell the difference. First off, don't ever have any expectation to rank unless you are getting shadowdance's into your soul cap, this is doubly true on gorefiend feasts. Next for your iron reaver, you just got hit by a brick of bad rng, on your 37 ambushes, only 10% of them crit - this kills the parse. While one offs are fun to get, I've had plenty of rank 2-10's this tier, its complete luck. Having a consistent set of 85-95% parses means more than the one pull you had 70% soulcap uptime. When you constantly measure up to that level, every pull no exception, eventually you will strike the rng required to get some of those godly parses.

Also, if I'm seeing this right, you cast hemo 31 times on just gorefiend himself, I can understand some of the casts when swapping to adds but on the boss itself that is very excessive. You should try and limit your hemo's to ~8-12 on that fight maximum.
    Part of the reason for so many Hemo's on Gorefiend was that it was a progression kill. I was switching around so much trying to help with adds that I'd often toss a Hemo up on Gorefiend so I could build the necessary CPs for a Rupture. But ya, all in all, I probably did it a bit too much.

It's not that they necessarily needed me to help with adds outside, but I wanted to ensure that our first kill was clean and smooth.

One more thing as well, if you are really trying to parse gorefiend, you need to be FoK spam on the spirit stack so you can spam finishers. If you really want to get good ranks on fights you gotta be a scumlord, thats just the reality.

One more thing as well, if you are really trying to parse gorefiend, you need to be FoK spam on the spirit stack so you can spam finishers. If you really want to get good ranks on fights you gotta be a scumlord, thats just the reality.
    Sad but true, I know. My biggest problem with that fight was my opener and RNG. And because it was our first kill, I spent more time focusing on staying alive/mechanics that I neglected the DPS. I was just curious mainly why my opener was so poor and why I was so much lower, and the other posts helped me figure that all out. Hopefully this next week will see some increases!

Quote Originally Posted by Layke View Post
    Sad but true, I know. My biggest problem with that fight was my opener and RNG. And because it was our first kill, I spent more time focusing on staying alive/mechanics that I neglected the DPS. I was just curious mainly why my opener was so poor and why I was so much lower, and the other posts helped me figure that all out. Hopefully this next week will see some increases!
    That is a good mentality to have. Your sub play is pretty good - you seem to understand the essentials. It's all about fine-tuning and praying to the RNG gods now.

Deleted
    FoK and DP damage is pretty shit, so that's not scum bagging in my opinion. If you do that for the full duration of somebody being in the stomach you deal maybe 5% of his health by doing that.