windows 10 laptop issue

Howdy.
    I currently own a hp dv6 3030sp.
    1st gen i5, nothing hight tech for today's standards but it gets the job done on light gaming and browsing/gaming.
    Problem is windows 8 and windows 10.
    This laptop has a amd hd 5650, along with a intel hd. With windows 7 everything worked fine and dandy, while idle the laptop would switch to the intel, on games it would use the amd.
    Comes 29th July, I format the computer, install in it windows 8, after that upgrade to windows 10. Flawless uprade (clean install). Or so I thought.
    With windows 10 and latest drivers installed by windows update (hp's website doesnt have drivers for my laptop for anything above windows 7), the laptop would only use the intel hd. Would turn on a game, either black screen (but could hear the game sounds), either looooooow fps. With MSI afterburner, I could see both gpu activities, where gpu1(amd) was always at 0% and gpu2 (intel hd) would be the one active and going up and down in activity.
    Forcing the laptop to high performance didnt help, forcing the laptop to use only high performance mode didnt help, trying to install older drivers didnt help, since the drivers didn't do anything and windows update would reinstall newer ones anyway (installing older drivers actually borked something else on the computed, managed to corrupt the loginui.exe, showing a blinking loginscreen, an error and no way to fix it).
    Managed to boot in safemode, did the reroll to windows 8(less than 30 days had passed).
    Windows 8: same problem. Laptop would only use the intel for anything. BUt, unlike windows 10, I don't have windows update to bug me, so I installed some modded drivers (made by leshcat). These drivers didn't work on windows 10, but what the heck, let's try it again
    Well, it somewhat worked. Now the laptop only uses the amd, which I'm ok with it since temps are being controlled and are ok in my standards (less than 80º on a hp laptop).
    Problem: everytime, on the first boot, whenever it gets to the login screen, I get a black screen. Only forcing the laptop to shutdown and turning it on again would show me the login. Likewise, if I suspend the laptop or send it to hibernation the same thing happens. Whenever get to the black screen part, I have no choice but to force it to shutdown.

All of this wall of text to see if someone has a similar laptop (or gpu combo) and has windows 10 working OK, cause I'm still currently on windows 8, annoyed that I cant put him to sleep or hibernate and have to always go through a double boot. Don't really want to upgrade to win10 and see it's still working badly. With win8 I can at least play the games, it's just the (growing) annoyance of the black screen.

I have done some research, a lot of ppl with the same problem, where it looks like amd has stopped making drivers for this kind of gpu combo, with a switchable gpu.
    http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Noteboo...ead_id=1966389

http://www.eightforums.com/graphic-c...phics-faq.html

https://www.google.com/search?q=hp+a...+after+suspend

A lot of ppl having this issue, but so far no solution. anyone with some idea to help me solve this? I would prefer win10, but if the blackscreen problem would go away I would happilly stay in win8.

- - - Updated - - -

Guess no one has had my problem. Will reinstall windows 10, check if anything has changed, if not going back to win7.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have you tried the latest AMD Catalyst drivers? I know this is a laptop GPU but I think nowadays AMD drivers are universal? Hybrid graphics are tricky business since you have to have two sets of working drivers. BTW have you tried also upgrading the Intel drivers from Intel's website?

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/dow...dows-10-64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Have you tried the latest AMD Catalyst drivers? I know this is a laptop GPU but I think nowadays AMD drivers are universal? Hybrid graphics are tricky business since you have to have two sets of working drivers. BTW have you tried also upgrading the Intel drivers from Intel's website?

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/dow...dows-10-64-bit
    Yes to both. Nothing solved, same issues. Windows 10 already downloads latest drivers, and that would force the laptop to use the intel 100% of the time.

- - - Updated - - -

But like I said, I will upgrade to win10 and test it all again, maybe somehow it's already fixed and windows auto-updates will install the right stuff (not getting my hopes up though).

- - - Updated - - -

Update: those drivers won't work on my laptop. Like I said, it's a 1st gen i5, those drivers are for at least 4th gen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally I would try to go back to Windows 8. Your laptop won't benefit from Windows 10, especially when you can't dynamically switch between the two GPUs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Personally I would try to go back to Windows 8. Your laptop won't benefit from Windows 10, especially when you can't dynamically switch between the two GPUs.
    Neither in windows 8 (like I said in my first post). Same issue on windows 8, only I can install some modded drivers that force the use of the amd at all times (and has that annoyance of giving me black screens whenever I suspend the computer/boot it the 1st time).
    Reinstalled windows 10, nothing solved, will probably reinstall windows 7 again and be done with it. A shame really, if I could turn off the intel and let it stay 100% on the amd AND not have the black screen issue...

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    The AMD Dual Graphics needs a 3rd driver for the automatic swapping. If your manufacturer does not provide drivers above Windows 7, you are bound to use the AMD Cataclyst Manager and hope the driver gets installed there. If it does not, there is nothing you can do to make them both work.

You can turn off the Intel driver. In windows 10, right click the Start Menu and choose Device Manager. From there, click on Display Adapters. Right click the Intel and click on Disable.

Be sure your AMD driver is installed and there are no exclamation marks when you look at the Device Manager. If you have a ! sign on your AMD there and you disable the Intel, you have no screen anymore.
    Much love to Indicate for creating. Eis' work

10+ Year Old Account
    On Linux since both Intel and AMD drivers are open source, the switching between the GPUs work just fine automatically.

Quote Originally Posted by Schadow View Post
    The AMD Dual Graphics needs a 3rd driver for the automatic swapping. If your manufacturer does not provide drivers above Windows 7, you are bound to use the AMD Cataclyst Manager and hope the driver gets installed there. If it does not, there is nothing you can do to make them both work.

You can turn off the Intel driver. In windows 10, right click the Start Menu and choose Device Manager. From there, click on Display Adapters. Right click the Intel and click on Disable.

Be sure your AMD driver is installed and there are no exclamation marks when you look at the Device Manager. If you have a ! sign on your AMD there and you disable the Intel, you have no screen anymore.
    That won't work. Games will start with the amd (no more blackscreen with game sound), but will get an error saying amd is not properly installed and games will run at 1-2-3-fps.
    No, HP didn't release drivers above win7. laptop is near EOL so they will not bother with it.
    AMD is always properly installed and confirmed on device manager.

I'll bite the bullet and revert to win7. Everything works there, so I'll stay there till I get a new laptop.
    Tks for all the help/advices.