Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Native New Yorker here. I live in Manhattan and pay way too much for rent. I have a three bedroom in the West Village that I pay $6000 a month. It's true that potential for earnings is higher in the city, but the living expenses usually outpace that. I would try to find something in the Bronx or Brooklyn. You can probably find a decent three bedroom up in Morris Park for $3000. Rent in Brooklyn has dramatically increased in recent years and is slowly catching up to Manhattan. Queens and Staten Island are complete shitholes if you ask me lol

You won't need a car at all. I have two motorcycles, but those are just for pleasure, as almost all my traveling within the city is done through mass transit. So there is some money saved there with no car payment and insurance, but a good portion of that will be rolled over into Metrocards.

This city has almost anything you could ever need or want out of life. And if you can't find it within the city, you are a bus/train ride away from it in either Northern Jersey, Long Island or Upstate New York. There is hiking and nature stuff up in the Catskills which is amazing. If you want to be one of those leafer people, the Hudson Valley area has amazing wineries and apple picking in the Fall. Along with all the shopping you can do in the city, about 45 minutes north of the city is a mall that is probably top 5 in size in the country.

And our bagels and pizza are the best!

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for sharing all this info you guys. I really would like to do this now I have 2 more questions lol

* If I planned on moving around February March of next year...how early do we start looking for jobs.
    * How does one get a job in another state and have it waiting on them. Ive heard about it but know very little. Im sure my wife would have an easier time seeing as she works in healthcare but idunno.
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzin View Post
    That sir is beautiful.
    I wish it showed the streets instead, and how much litter can be found in some areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Caolela View Post
    Are you kidding? Noo Yock? It's THE City.

I'm originally from upstate, and went to NYC as often as I could. Still have friends there. There's no place like it.
    It also manages to smell. Some of those food stands must be doing something odd.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    And our bagels and pizza are the best!
    Pizza - NYC
    Bagels - NJ
    Cheesesteak - Philly

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for sharing all this info you guys. I really would like to do this now I have 2 more questions lol

* If I planned on moving around February March of next year...how early do we start looking for jobs.
    * How does one get a job in another state and have it waiting on them. Ive heard about it but know very little. Im sure my wife would have an easier time seeing as she works in healthcare but idunno.
    You should definitely secure a job before moving to New York. If possible, you can begin applying to places online. You may even be able to do a video interview.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    If you have 4 kids, I'd recommend living somewhere more... suburban. Find a nice neighborhood with good schools nearby, get a nice house with a yard, etc.
    This is honestly the best plan. I wouldn't move to NYC if you paid me. Though I live about 30 mins away.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

So still why NYC instead of somewhere you can actually afford to live.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

I would try to find some place you feel economically comfortable. NYC is very expensive to live in, if you want the urban lifestyle with a family that size... It's going to be very costly. Also, I would scout out the areas you might want to live in, that are manageable commuting wise especially if you want to work in NYC proper.

Questions for the New Yorkers:

Why do super villains hate you so much that they trash your place monthly and how do you rebuild it so fast?