Page 1 of 17
... LastLast

Mercedes Beinz president says these are the kind of workers Mercedes needs

What if the arrival of refugees are good news for Germany?

Okay, it's a huge experiment and nobody knows how it will turn out, but Syrian refugees just might be what Germany needs right now.

At least according to the economics show I listen to. You can listen to a podcast here:

http://www.marketplace.org/topics/wo...tling-refugees

-=-=-=-=-

Germany figures each refugee it accepts will cost about $14,000 to feed, house, teach and pay a stipend of $160 a month.

With the hundreds of thousands of refugees the country plans on accepting by year's end, this will cost Germany billions in dollars.

But in the long term, some experts say the country will make that money back. Germany's labor force is aging and shrinking, and by accepting a large number of refugees, these potential workers can fill the country's labor gap in the future.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Nothing to see here. It has been known for some time migration would offset the looming demographic crisis in most european countries.

No one really cares, because the anti-migration argument isn't really based on anything other than the shallowest racism, so there isn't a lot of point bringing facts into it. There are some actual anti-migration arguments to be made which are rational: eg the impact on workers wages particulary in specific sectors. Those arguments are never made because people who hold anti-migrant are frankly intellectually incapable of understanding them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cheap labor is desirable by big companies? Who woulda thought.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Okay, it's a huge experiment and nobody knows how it will turn out, but Syrian refugees just might be what Germany needs right now.

At least according to the economics show I listen to. You can listen to a podcast here:

http://www.marketplace.org/topics/wo...tling-refugees

-=-=-=-=-

Germany figures each refugee it accepts will cost about $14,000 to feed, house, teach and pay a stipend of $160 a month.

With the hundreds of thousands of refugees the country plans on accepting by year's end, this will cost Germany billions in dollars.

But in the long term, some experts say the country will make that money back. Germany's labor force is aging and shrinking, and by accepting a large number of refugees, these potential workers can fill the country's labor gap in the future.

I wouldn't take any cost benefit analysis that far off in the future seriously.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    Most of them won't have any skills that will make the company successful, and quite frankly if they want cheap labor, they might as well have their cars made in Mexico because the quality of work there has gone up significantly and would be superior to what refugees with no manufacturing experience could offer.

What is good for a company is not always what is good for a country. The companies can benefits from cheap labors, but what cost?

The calculation doesn't consider the religion or social problems, or even potential crime and terrorism threat.

Quote Originally Posted by ashblond View Post
    What is good for a company is not always what is good for a country. The companies can benefits from cheap labors, but what cost?

The calculation doesn't consider the religion or social problems, or even potential crime and terrorism threat.
    This is the problem with Europe right now. Probably even the world. This should not be a problem, period.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Most of them won't have any skills that will make the company successful,...
    But.. but we've been told that they're all PhDs and doctors and stuff.
    Are you telling me that they're not? /s

15+ Year Old Account
    You´re not from germany, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

15+ Year Old Account
    And what happens when the refugees don't want to work with building cars? What if they don't have the required skills needed? What happens if they instead want to study or work with something else?

Making such an analysis so far into the future right now even before this mass immigration has happened will most likely not be very accurate as it all depends on what kind of individuals immigrate to Germany.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    You´re not from germany, right?
    I have ancestors that had a lot of sex there.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nalle View Post
    And what happens when the refugees don't want to work with building cars? What if they don't have the required skills needed? What happens if they instead want to study or work with something else?

Making such an analysis so far into the future right now even before this mass immigration has happened will most likely not be very accurate as it all depends on what kind of individuals immigrate to Germany.
    The picture isn´t about car manufacturing alone. You don´t think there are 7 million germans working in car manufacturing right? Also mercedes already announced to teach them. You can´t simply assume that all the refugees want to study or work in a very specific field, makes no sense.

- - - Updated - - -

I have ancestors that had a lot of sex there.
    Ok, then, because it´s only cheap labour if you´re working a job that´s not a union job.
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    This is the problem with Europe right now. Probably even the world. This should not be a problem, period.
    This is that is has and always will be a problem, no matter how much we would like to shove our heads in the sand and go la la la not happening.. The other big thing is as far as I can tell I am not seeing the US helping out with this problem, and the ASEAN nations have their own problems to deal with at the moment as well..

10+ Year Old Account
    Off course the country where 2 parents usually have 1 children will benefit from "fresh blood" long-term, implying that this "fresh blood" will integrate properly
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Deleted
    it would be better if german women had more children instead of raising the next generation of Isis fighters

the current muslim population is not integrated, they're a burden on the taxpayer (unemployed/on benefits), overrepresented in crime statistics and yet they wanna bring in millions more? sounds like a plan

of course cheap labor is good for a car manufactor, I'm shocked

if they wanna feel good about themselves at the cost of their own people at least come up with a proper plan to integrate these people first if that's even possible lol
    Last edited by mmocb78b025c1c; 2015-09-09 at 09:05 AM.

Aren't refugees supposed to be temporary?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Aren't refugees supposed to be temporary?
    aren't refugees supposed to go to the nearest country that's safe and not cross the mediterranean sea and go through several European countries before they arrive in the richest ones?

Corporations salivating at the prospect of paying people lesser wages.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    it would be better if german women had more children instead of raising the next generation of Isis fighters

the current muslim population is not integrated, they're a burden on the taxpayer (unemployed/on benefits), overrepresented in crime statistics and yet they wanna bring in millions more? sounds like a plan

of course cheap labor is good for a car manufactor, I'm shocked

if they wanna feel good about themselves at the cost of their own people at least come up with a proper plan to integrate these people first
    So they´re overrepresented in unemployment statistics and crime statistics? Of course you have some links to back all of that up, you wouldn´t just make stuff up to make you feel good, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    That is what I explained a few days ago in another thread, word for word what the CEO of Mercedes said, but our local racists claimed it was all nonsense.

People that are 'concerned about immigration' just tend to be uneducated yokels that were born in the wrong century.
    Right, not wanting a constant flood of people from extraordinarily different racial, religious and cultural backgrounds drastically changing your country and then being taxed by the government for it is durrrrrr "dems uneducated yokels".

You make such awesome points. Please post more.
    Last edited by Super Friendly Kitty Cat; 2015-09-09 at 09:22 AM.