10+ Year Old Account

Scotland's child poverty levels having severe impact on education system

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/ed...-10495873.html

Child poverty in Scotland is now so severe that teachers are being sent advice on how to spot if a child in their class is going hungry, amid evidence that the problem is having an increasingly serious impact on education.

The new guidance, which will be distributed to schools and colleges across Scotland next week, warns that the issue of hunger among pupils is “moving from the exceptional to the more commonplace” as families struggle to make ends meet.

The advice has been drawn up by the Educational Institute of Scotland (EIS), the country’s largest teaching union, after a survey of 300 schools and colleges suggested that teachers are increasingly having to help underfed pupils. It is the first time that a section on hunger has been included in the guidance.

“Pupils may appear pale, fatigued, irritable or lacking in concentration, or complain of headaches or feeling unwell,” it states. “While there can be other reasons underlying such signs, for a growing number of children and young people in our schools and colleges today, the reason will be hunger.”

Notes from teachers

* “Children attending school feeling hungry and having had very little the previous night. These pupils cannot think of working because of hunger.”

* “I recently ran a theatre trip and, of the 50 pupils I took, six could not afford the £8 ticket (not including the pupils we knew would have to be subsidised). None of these pupils were your typical ‘deprived’ pupil – all high achieving pupils who were mortified at the thought of admitting that £8 was a big deal to their families. There must be thousands slipping through the net.”

*“Increase in parental depression. Increase in children discussing ‘getting money tomorrow’ and ‘getting food on Friday’.”

* “Informally and discreetly, some teachers will provide very good quality clothes and present them to particular parents as a favour to the teacher: ‘Can you use these? My child has taken a stretch and I hate to see them going to waste.’ etc.”

* “Children dreading non uniform days due to lack of good casual clothing (knowing their peers will have this).”

* “We have expanded our breakfast club and provide toast at interval to help support children who have not had breakfast. Teachers always try to be aware of who is in need and try to make sure they have the basics in school by providing warm jackets and uniforms donated by parents whose children have outgrown them.”
    Sad times.

I thought things were going to improve after the referendum?

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/ed...-10495873.html

I thought things were going to improve after the referendum?
    What gave you that impression? This is the effect of austerity, not much the Scottish Government can do about that, even if Smith was implemented (it's not) in full and not the watered down version.
    Last edited by Shadowmelded; 2015-09-11 at 04:39 AM.