How do you transfer a Firelands save from alt to main?

I think a lot of people here are familiar with the raid save transfer thing.

Basically, you clear a raid, say ICC, 11/12 on normal 25. Then you go outside and invite your alt, alt goes inside, accepts the 11/12 normal save, then changes it to 25hc while inside to get a unique save ID. You can then kill LK on more than one character even though you only cleared ICC once.

It's explained in more detail here, and it says it works for Lich King raids and up.

http://www.dual-boxing.com/threads/5...ons-Al-Akir%29

There's even people in the thread saying that they do this to get easy Ragnaros kills.

And that's where I get confused, because for this method to work, you need to clear the raid on normal, then change it to heroic for every individual character. Problem is, you can't kill Ragnaros on heroic if you clear the rest of the raid on normal. I've tried that in the past and know for a fact it doesn't work. I even ticketed a GM back then and he told me that to kill heroic Ragnaros, you need to kill all other bosses on heroic.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Quote Originally Posted by JustRob View Post

Basically, you clear a raid, say ICC, 11/12 on normal 25. Then you go outside and invite your alt, alt goes inside, accepts the 11/12 normal save, then changes it to 25hc while inside to get a unique save ID. You can then kill LK on more than one character even though you only cleared ICC once.

It's explained in more detail here, and it says it works for Lich King raids and up.

http://www.dual-boxing.com/threads/5...ons-Al-Akir%29

There's even people in the thread saying that they do this to get easy Ragnaros kills.

And that's where I get confused, because for this method to work, you need to clear the raid on normal, then change it to heroic for every individual character. Problem is, you can't kill Ragnaros on heroic if you clear the rest of the raid on normal. I've tried that in the past and know for a fact it doesn't work. I even ticketed a GM back then and he told me that to kill heroic Ragnaros, you need to kill all other bosses on heroic.

dont be lazy, clear it on heroic!

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account

This is ambiguously worded, so just to clarify:

In order to save your alt to the instance, you need to kill a boss with it. So, clear 10 bosses (with whomever, doesn't matter) but make sure your alt is in the group that kills the 11th.

Whomever enters the raid with this alt will enter a normal 11/12 instance. The alt can then leave the instance while the person you wanted to transfer the save to can change to heroic mode and kill the final boss.

The alt can then start a new group with more unsaved characters and they too will be able to inherit the same 11/12 lockout, convert to heroic and kill the boss.

Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post

You're right. You have to do the whole instance in heroic to do Ragnaros on heroic. This method doesn't work for heroic Ragnaros kills. However it does still work to get normal Ragnaros kills, which is what I believe these people were doing.

Fortunately the Ragnaros mount drops on both normal and heroic, so there is no need to do it on heroic mode, normal will suffice.

For what it's worth I have been running full 25 heroic Dragon Soul and Firelands every week on two toons rather than use the lockout re-use trick because the gold from those runs is significant (125g per boss plus loot which vendors for a similar amount) and the instances are pretty quick to run.

Ulduar though is definitely worth getting a lockout at Yogg Saron because the instance is quite long and the gold income from it not worth much. ICC is not quite as bad, but also worth getting a lockout save IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    This is ambiguously worded, so just to clarify:

In order to save your alt to the instance, you need to kill a boss with it. So, clear 10 bosses (with whomever, doesn't matter) but make sure your alt is in the group that kills the 11th.

Whomever enters the raid with this alt will enter a normal 11/12 instance. The alt can then leave the instance while the person you wanted to transfer the save to can change to heroic mode and kill the final boss.

The alt can then start a new group with more unsaved characters and they too will be able to inherit the same 11/12 lockout, convert to heroic and kill the boss.

You're right. You have to do the whole instance in heroic to do Ragnaros on heroic. This method doesn't work for heroic Ragnaros kills. However it does still work to get normal Ragnaros kills, which is what I believe these people were doing.

Fortunately the Ragnaros mount drops on both normal and heroic, so there is no need to do it on heroic mode, normal will suffice.

For what it's worth I have been running full 25 heroic Dragon Soul and Firelands every week on two toons rather than use the lockout re-use trick because the gold from those runs is significant (125g per boss plus loot which vendors for a similar amount) and the instances are pretty quick to run.

Ulduar though is definitely worth getting a lockout at Yogg Saron because the instance is quite long and the gold income from it not worth much. ICC is not quite as bad, but also worth getting a lockout save IMO.
    But if you kill Ragnaros on one character, doesn't it save that to your other characters as well? The whole idea of this trick with ICC is that you get a unique lockout for each character by individually changing the raid to heroic mode.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    But if you kill Ragnaros on one character, doesn't it save that to your other characters as well? The whole idea of this trick with ICC is that you get a unique lockout for each character by individually changing the raid to heroic mode.
    With ICC it has nothing to do with changing to heroic. It has to do with the fact that your alt is saved to 11/12 normal and therefore when he forms a group with someone else, that person will enter an instance that is 11/12 normal.

With ICC normal your character is not locked to a specific instance. Your "lockout" refers to the bosses you have killed. When you switch to heroic though, it creates a unique instance ID to which you get locked, and that instance records which bosses were killed in heroic mode even if you aren't there for the kill.

The importance of this is that your alt must be saved to normal, not to heroic for this to work. Whether your main kills LK on normal or heroic doesn't actually matter (except for the fact that invincible only drops from heroic).

For Firelands, if your alt is locked to 6/7 normal, then leaves the group, his lockout will be unaffected if the rest of the group kills Ragnaros. Which means that your alt can form a new group, and when he enters Firelands, the game will spawn a new instance with 6/7 bosses dead, and anyone in the group will be able to use the same instance. Once the rest of the group is in the instance, the alt can leave again and keep re-using the trick for as long as he maintains the lockout (lockouts sometimes get wiped by the game eg when new patches arrive).

Hmmm alright. Will try that out later

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, you can't do the same thing lockout normal/heroic switch in FL that you can for ICC but it doesn't matter because the mount drops in normal FL unlike ICC where its only heroic. So you don't have to worry about heroic FL if you're just farming mounts.