I need some help with computer memory wipe?

Hi, i went on my computer today and noticed i had to log into my profile. The comp usually restarts at night sometimes for windows updates, so i just log in.

But it seems alot of things were wiped off? let me explain:

Desktop is original windows wallpaper now, icons and folders no longer on desktop.
    It seems like opening programs is the first time again.
    Chrome was no longer default browser and i cant get all my favorites that i used to have on it.
    also no log ins were saved for websites since chrome was undefaulted.

However no files are actually deleted, as in all my movies, games, documents, downloads are all still here.

I really need to know what happened and how to get my favorites list on chrome back. any help would be appreciated.

Deleted
    did you per chance rub a strong electromagnet on your computer?

.... because y know.. that might've been it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingsoggy View Post
    Hi, i went on my computer today and noticed i had to log into my profile. The comp usually restarts at night sometimes for windows updates, so i just log in.

But it seems alot of things were wiped off? let me explain:

Desktop is original windows wallpaper now, icons and folders no longer on desktop.
    It seems like opening programs is the first time again.
    Chrome was no longer default browser and i cant get all my favorites that i used to have on it.
    also no log ins were saved for websites since chrome was undefaulted.

However no files are actually deleted, as in all my movies, games, documents, downloads are all still here.

I really need to know what happened and how to get my favorites list on chrome back. any help would be appreciated.
    Your settings were wiped, not your computer's memory. The Memory (or RAM) goes blank when ever the computer looses power or is turned off.

If you don't have a back up, you probably aren't getting your settings back. If you do, then use that to roll back things. Keep in mind you'll loose any changes you've made since that back up was made.

It's difficult to figure out what happened from what you've said, but it sounds like the windows settings were reset to defaults. I suspect you probably misunderstood something and did that by accident.

no i diddnt, and none of the harddrive. all my files are still there.

- - - Updated - - -

i didnt set anything though, it was fine when i left the computer last night, then today i go back and its like this after i log in

Sounds more like a different user profile or somehow booted in to safe mode. If it's neither of those, I am clueless.

there was indeed a windows update during the night. thats why the computer restarted i assume and why i had to log back in. i normally just leave it on

It sounds like profile corruption may be causing you to login under a Temporary Profile, to be honest.

I haven't been front-line Help Desk in years, but it was a common issue with Windows that could occur for a number of reasons.

If you're comfortable playing around in the Registry, you should be able to get your old profile back. Google for "SysProbs - How to Fix Temporary Profile" and follow the instructions; they're quite decent.

when i look at /C/users it comes back with 3: Public, Soggy, TEMP. soggy and TEMP both have a little lock on them. I dont have any other user log ins on this computer though, just mine, soggy.

i normally have public disabled too

is TEMP normal to have? or am i in TEMP atm? on the start menu it shows my user icon and says soggy.

I believe you're using the TEMP profile at the moment. It will still display your username in this case.

Run REGEDIT.EXE and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

If there are two near-identical profile keys under this list (i.e. S-1-5-XXXXXXXX and S-1-5-XXXXXXXX.bak), rename the "fresh" one (i.e. change it to S-1-5-XXXXXXXX_new) and remove the .bak that was appended onto the end of the other profile key. Log out and reboot.

This time, it should log you into the correct profile.

ok but how near identical? two are exactly the same just one has .bak and theres a third one thats exactly the same up until the last digit. lemme just copy them..

3455235021-2483412001-1000
    3455235021-2483412001-1000.bak
    3455235021-2483412001-1003

there was other digits before but just i copied the end, where the '1000's change. i assume i leave the "1003" alone?

- - - Updated - - -

oh and i assume the one that doesnt have .bak is the fresh one as you said

ok but how near identical? two are exactly the same just one has .bak and theres a third one thats exactly the same up until the last digit. lemme just copy them..

3455235021-2483412001-1000
    3455235021-2483412001-1000.bak
    3455235021-2483412001-1003

there was other digits before but just i copied the end, where the '1000's change. i assume i leave the "1003" alone?
    You've got it, boss

Please rename them in the following fashion:

3455235021-2483412001-1000 -> 3455235021-2483412001-1000_new
    3455235021-2483412001-1000.bak -> 3455235021-2483412001-1000

That should do the trick after a reboot or two.

ok cool ill go test it out. thank you very much

ok cool ill go test it out. thank you very much
    My pleasure. Just be very careful not to touch anything else in REGEDIT.

Fucking yes. damn. thank you everything is back now.

Fucking yes. damn. thank you everything is back now.
    Hooray! You're very welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirinotes View Post
    Hooray! You're very welcome.
    That was extremely helpful. Kudos