Poll: Do you preorder games?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on the game.
    If I know I'll enjoy it, I do.
    If I'm not sure, but it's possible, then I don't until it's released/reviews are out.

I pre-ordered Arkham Knight and SC2:LotV and probably will preorder Fallout4
    but I won't be preordering Legion or and AC: Syndicate. Waiting for reviews before getting into those.
    We stopped searching for monsters under our beds when we realized that they were inside us.

Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

I can't remember the last thing I actually pre-ordered.

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

I pre-order games that i genuinely know i will enjoy alot.

Souls series and Bloodborne being an example of that, although DaS2 was, kinda eh at best.

10+ Year Old Account
    i preordered all blizzard games since wow (before that i bought exclusively in stores).

no regrets.

other then that pretty much none. the exceptions are mass effect 2+3, alice madness returns and styx master of shadows. all of them exceptional.

but if you don't want collectors editions or day1 dlcs it is irrelevant. i download 100% of my games now so i can buy on release (mostly some days later after some reviews).
    Last edited by Sharde; 2015-09-10 at 11:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only game I've ever pre-ordered was Sword Coast Legends (awaiting it in a week), and that's because I am SUPER excited about this game, the first "true" D&D game since, pretty much, 2006. Normally I wait a couple of months after release for all the essential bugs to be fixed and for the price to possibly drop, then buy it.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is really variable, and depends on the game, but I usually pre-order a few games a year. I pre-ordered MGS V, Witcher 3, Bloodborne, and I will still probably pre-order Fallout when we get a little closer. Mainly if I know that I want the game and I know that I want it the day it comes out, then I will just pre-order it from Amazon and it will be there when I get home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post
    There's nothing for casuals to do, beyond pretend they are raiders in LFR.

10+ Year Old Account
    Aside from the poll needing a middle ground, largely depends on the developer. Id never dare preorder a title published by ubisoft for example, but on the other hand I am likely to trust CDPR with the CE edition of cyberpunk 2077 almost instantly when that day comes.

I've only ever pre-ordered WoD, and that's not gonna happen again.

I used to when I was younger and games didn't have a trillion copies flying around. These days though? Only niche games that probably get a small print size and that's it. Even then though it's not such a huge deal because you can just buy it on XBL/PSN/Steam. There's no real bonus to pre ordering as the bonuses you get are marginal at best and I'd rather wait to see if the game has some serious issues at launch which is becoming more and more common.

Also lets not forget the biggest issue, games are expensive here in Canada. I'd rather wait 3 months and get it for 40$ instead of paying 90$ day one. Unless and that is a big unless is if the game is something I'm really looking forward to such as Kingdom Hearts 3.

YEARS back I would pre-order because the reality is that games would launch and there simply would not be enough copies produced/stocked in a local store (and digital copies was not even a thing).

Anymore that is not the case and so I feel like there is ZERO reason why i should pay for a product I don't have, can't get, and don't even have a guarantee that will be 'what i ordered'. It makes no sense in any walk of life and I really wish it would stop being a 'thing'.

Only if it's a game I can safely assume will be good. It works out 99% of the time with Batman: Arkham Knight representing the 1%.

I used to preorder plenty. But the industry now has become so sketchy that I not only wait until games launch, I wait until they're deep discounted after their first year. Its just really become so bad that waiting is the wiser thing to do.

There just is too much exploitation of the hope and faith that players put into seeing the next "ooo shiny" that needs to stop.

The number of steam early access games that never leave early access is steadily climbing. The same with failed crowdfunded projects as well and there is little to no accountability for any of them.
    Last edited by Sanguinesun; 2015-09-11 at 05:17 AM.

Rarely. The pre-order bonus needs to be be enticing enough for me to do so.

I only buy PC games, all digitally. I have come to understand pre-ordering means something different to console players.

For console games, yes I usually preorder a bunch around e3 time for the coming year and cancel the ones I decide to not get closer to release date. There is no risk here, since I literally pay $0 until the game ships the day before release.

For PC games, very rarely. Has to be a game I'm very confident in 1) being well optimized and 2) being a good game. Preorders are more safe on steam now however with refunds so it may be a more common occurrence but would still only be games I know I wouldn't sell. Lack of being able to recoup a cost of steam games vs physical console ones is a major reason for my lack of PC gaming outside of trusted franchises and developers.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2015-09-11 at 09:57 AM.

Deleted
    Such a biased poll. Not even going to bother with voting. I sometimes pre-order games if I get a great price and I'm quite certain that it will be something that I'll buy no matter what, but in general I don't approve of it.

Rarely. Only when it's something I really, really want to play the moment it becomes available.

Deleted
    nope. Don't like to wait for something i paid for.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Btw you only have to put down $1 to preorder so I don't see the big deal.
    that seems to be more reserve a copy in the store rather than preodering.

No way. Too risky

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on the game nowadays. In the past I pre-ordered a lot of games. Especially the far back past.

Back in the days of PS2 my local gamestore had this dude working there that didn't give two shits about release dates... He would call you on the phone and let you know your pre-order was in the second it arrived... Whether the day before launch or two fucking weeks before launch. I got so many games early and I loved it. That store went out of business though, unfortunately

Through my 360/PS3 days I usually pre-ordered the big games that I knew I would get my money's worth out of...

In recent years I have only pre-ordered a couple games. GTA5... Fallout 4... Total War games... Games that I know I will enjoy regardless of how they turn out and will spend countless hours on...