Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account

Unhappy I made a huge mistake - Motherboard

Stupid me trying to save some cash decided to buy a Asus motherboard that was on sale. Not doing my research until today I find out it doesn't have any usb 3.0 headers. I bought it from Amazon so tough luck for me. Anyway my case has front panel usb 3.0 and usb 2.0. It's a cooler master n200. Should I attempt to return my motherboard or is this punishment for being cheap with a motherboard?

Motherboard model: Asus H81M-E

Deleted
    Its amazon, they're renowned for customer service. if you can wait, may as well do the returns. I wouldnt even be surprised if it was one of those things they went "oh..Well..Just keep it." if not itl only cost you time to return. Otherwise if you're okay with USB2 keep using it if it suits your purpose.

I'd try the return if you dont need your computer yesterday.

edit - Another point for returning - Its pretty rare for modern mobos to not have USB3, so unless its exceptionally cheap you may be missing some other features should you decide to upgrade other components down the line (I tend to spend more on my mobo with the idea of not replacing it for longer than my gpu/hdds/ssds, and only replace when cpu needs upgrading).

edit again - sorry misread no usb 3 headers for no usb 3s, disregard previous edit.

Its been a long day.
    Last edited by mmoc43629f4d58; 2015-09-10 at 06:09 PM.

Contact Amazon customer service, they'll organize a no-questions-asked return for you so long as you bought it in the last 30 days.

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    Yeah back of the board has usb 3.0 which is good. Just want to use my front usb 2.0 ports.

You can get them on a PCI-E card, I think. No biggie.

... but... that mobo has the usb connectors to use the front usb ports.
    http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/...81M-Series.pdf
    Page 11-12. on the mobo layout, "11" shows 2 usb connectors. Dunno if each can manage 1 port or 2, can't recall, but at least you can use 2 frontal usb ports.

Quote Originally Posted by WarBringerPT View Post
    ... but... that mobo has the usb connectors to use the front usb ports.
    http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/...81M-Series.pdf
    Page 11-12. on the mobo layout, "11" shows 2 usb connectors. Dunno if each can manage 1 port or 2, can't recall, but at least you can use 2 frontal usb ports.
    Two USB 2.0 headers. USB 3.0 headers are twice as long as USB 2.0.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Two USB 2.0 headers. USB 3.0 headers are twice as long as USB 2.0.
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewOU2015 View Post
    Yeah back of the board has usb 3.0 which is good. Just want to use my front usb 2.0 ports.
    he said he wanted to use the frontal usb 2.0 ports. Unless that was a typo, that motherboard already has that. If he meant usb 3.0 ok, get another mobo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewOU2015 View Post
    I bought it from Amazon so tough luck for me.
    WTF are you talking about? Amazon is like literally the best about returns.

Quote Originally Posted by WarBringerPT View Post
    he said he wanted to use the frontal usb 2.0 ports. Unless that was a typo, that motherboard already has that. If he meant usb 3.0 ok, get another mobo.
    He said the case has 3.0 but the motherboard does not. He wants to be able to use the ports on the front of his PC as 2.0 but he cannot. He either needs a Motherboard that has a spot to plug them in, a case that only has 2.0 on the front or and expansion card to plug the 3.0 in to. There is no place for him to plug what his case has in.

15+ Year Old Account
    Fix for said issue

There are plenty of brands selling this stuff.. Akasa does as well f.ex. and it should be more readily available in the US.

Akasa's variant

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Fix for said issue

There are plenty of brands selling this stuff.. Akasa does as well f.ex. and it should be more readily available in the US.

Akasa's variant
    Ah, I should have thought to check and see if they made an adapter for that. Did not think of that. They make adapters for everything else though, so why not.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    He said the case has 3.0 but the motherboard does not. He wants to be able to use the ports on the front of his PC as 2.0 but he cannot. He either needs a Motherboard that has a spot to plug them in, a case that only has 2.0 on the front or and expansion card to plug the 3.0 in to. There is no place for him to plug what his case has in.
    He also says he has frontal usb 3.0 AND 2.0, so he can easily connect the 2.0 ones to the motherboard, at least, like he said on his 2nd post and what I quoted. He coulnd't use the 3.0 but could still use 2 frontal 2.0. tat would give him 8 usb ports, 6 2.0 (2 frontal, 4 on the mobo) and 2 3.0(2 on the mobo).
    Like op said on his 2nd post, 3.0 on the back is enough, he only wanted to use the frontal usb 2.0, something that the mobo is capable of.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't understand the problem. Return it? Amazon has the best customer service on the Internet, bar none.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    Thanks all for the replies! I decided to return the motherboard. Not only did it not have the headers, it didn't read my ram. Going with the motherboard I was recommended in my finalized build post.