Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Veyne View Post
    You guys ahve forgotten about Windows ME waaaaaaaaaay too easily.
    To be fair, that was over 15 years ago now with XP coming along just a year afterwards, chances are not everyone on this board have personal experience with the "mistake edition" of Windows.

Windows ME was great, with the restore points and automated SFC file restoration, USB support, scanner support, new shell version... People who complain about probably run it on some 32 MB Pentium Pro machine.

Deleted
    And these asshats own Minecraft now :\

Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    Nearly all. The key world is nearly.
    Specific things are so integrated in the OS that you can't disable them at all.
    Windows 10 with it's current behavior is malware.
    The part that can't be disabled through menus is the diagnostic information when you bluescreen - that's been true of several past several versions of Windows as well.

That can also be disabled- people have already posted how to do so in this thread.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    I'm planing to move to Linux. Waiting on Wine to support DX11 so my old games work.

Open source drivers are working really well on Linux.

First of all, you're posting a video featuring Ubuntu- which is worse than Windows 10. It actually has real spyware in it.

Second, it doesn't matter how well open source drivers are if the game is not built for Linux support- then you're 'emulating' it with Wine.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by alucardtnuoc View Post
    Hate to break it to you, you can only choose that when you're on Wi-Fi, if you're connected to your router via cable, you're fucked. I'm on metered connection and I can't stop it from choosing when to download.

If anyone has a workaround that lets you choose when you download while on an Ethernet cable, please tell me. all the guides I've seen state "you have to be on wi-fi to change it"
    What? Windows 7 or 8 doesn't care about whether you're on wireless or wired.

Under Windows Updates, you can specify several different ways to receive updates- one is something to the effect of 'let me choose which updates to download and install'.

You then have to manually check for updates by clicking 'check for updates'. It will present a list which you can select by placing a checkmark in the box next to the updates you want- it'll then download and install them.

Alternatively, you can turn updates off all together and download the updates you want from Microsoft's website.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    There is a difference between not caring about privacy and security and giving your wifi credentials to everyone in your contact list.
    You completely misunderstand how that works. Even if you enable that feature, you still need to manually select the networks you want to enable that for, and that's not something you do accidentally.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nzall View Post
    You completely misunderstand how that works. Even if you enable that feature, you still need to manually select the networks you want to enable that for, and that's not something you do accidentally.
    Microsoft says otherwise. They say you have to rename the SID to include _optout to prevent it from being shared.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Deleted
    Microsoft says otherwise. They say you have to rename the SID to include _optout to prevent it from being shared.

You need to enable that left option on the network that says "Delen" (Dutch for "Share") to actually share a network with your contacts. And no, I did not do that _optout hack.

And if I disable that option that's currently enabled, the "Share" Button doesn't even appear, and you need mutual permission to connect to these networks.
    Last edited by mmocb0245d6bcb; 2015-09-14 at 09:06 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dystemper View Post
    Yeah my internet gets capped because I have satellite. Windows 10 downloaded to my pc, and a laptop. Used up all of my 25 gigs I am allowed a month
    Is there still places with caps on the internet? And 25gb is less than my mobile plan :/

Anyways they might have to put up some notifications to people so they see what they are actually getting

10+ Year Old Account
    You need to enable that left option on the network that says "Delen" (Dutch for "Share") to actually share a network with your contacts. And no, I did not do that _optout hack.

And if I disable that option that's currently enabled, the "Share" Button doesn't even appear, and you need mutual permission to connect to these networks.
    And if someone connects to your network without that setting, your wifi info will be shared. Unless you change your SID name to include _optout.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Huh. My WiFi has a MAC filter, so I'm not sure that these issues would apply. Should be interesting to see if it's directly using another computer's info. I've only got one computer with Win10 installed on it, and the sharing stuff is disabled.

Deleted
    And if someone connects to your network without that setting, your wifi info will be shared. Unless you change your SID name to include _optout.
    Again, they need to EXPLICITLY configure it to share that specific network with their contacts. If they don't have that blue option on the screenshot turned on, they can't share it, because sharing requires BOTH parties to enable that setting for sharing to work. If you don't enable it, you won't send a share offer. if they don't enable it, they won't receive a share offer. If you don't have that network enabled as "Share this network" (that button on the specific network), it won't share the network. You have to make a conscious effort to share a network. It's not something that is likely to happen accidentally.

10+ Year Old Account
    Again, they need to EXPLICITLY configure it to share that specific network with their contacts.
    It defaults to on... you need to EXPLICITLY do a custom setup and disable it.

-Kujako-

Deleted
    It defaults to on... you need to EXPLICITLY do a custom setup and disable it.
    the "connect to shared networks" option defaults to On, but EVEN IF that option is enabled, you still need to manually share the networks you want to share, and you need to enter the password to share it, through that "Share" windows I showed a moment ago. Even if that option is still on the default setting, it's not like it automatically shares EVERY network you know.

Edit: Here is the FAQ from Microsoft on Wifi Sense, which discusses this wifi password sharing: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...i-fi-sense-faq

Read that FAQ completely first before you continue making uninformed statements. Networks are NOT automatically shared.
    Last edited by mmocb0245d6bcb; 2015-09-14 at 09:40 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm in the position of getting a new pc with windows 10 already installed. Way I see it, if microsoft are going to force this on customers without a choice, might as well get use to it from the start and not get use to anything else for the time being. I'm still using 7 on this pc, and don't ever intend to change it, just incase.