Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What happened to the auto enthusiasts?

I lived in Asia for the past 8 years prior to a few months ago--what happened to the car people? Outside of the growth of Cars and Coffee, which seems to have expanded from my old area to the entire nation, it seems rare to see modified vehicles outside the occasional rim swap. Where'd they go and excluding exotics, why does Jalopnik hate car people?

Related video:
    Last edited by twiddler; 2015-09-11 at 07:42 AM.

Why would I spend extra money on something that does its job? Point A to point B. Done.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    From what I understand, modern cars are really unfriendly to being worked on independently. It's not like the old days when you could do most of the maintenance yourself or build the whole thing yourself(like my grandfather did when he built his hot rod).

Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    From what I understand, modern cars are really unfriendly to being worked on independently. It's not like the old days when you could do most of the maintenance yourself or build the whole thing yourself(like my grandfather did when he built his hot rod).
    Outside the favoritism for the FF design, no.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Why would I spend extra money on something that does its job? Point A to point B. Done.
    Personal enjoyment, adrenaline rush, tinkerer's intrigue, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Time. Money. Availability.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

These guys?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    They drove away, of course.

But really, things like car enthusiasm are usually done within a robust and healthy economy, as opposed to current times which are more strained. You can see the huge Japanese market for train enthusiasts faltering hard right now as well.

- - - Updated - - -

But what about being able to drive 150 miles per hour on the way there? You might never get up to that speed ever if you aren't in the middle of Nebraska, but you *can* and that's the point.

Changing a tire looks complicated as fuck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Changing a tire looks complicated as fuck.
    It's really easy, until it's the middle of the winter and the nuts have contracted.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    It's really easy, until it's the middle of the winter and the nuts have contracted.
    lol. /comment on nut joke.

Anyway, yeah, it's just some physical labor. Sucks in the winter because it's cold out, might have to dig out the jack point if it's snowing, might have to decide which foot you're going to risk kicking the tire iron to get a nut loose. Hope I brought that Thermos of tea or coffee. Oh yeah, and I hope the nuts aren't rusted.

(learned to drive in snow territory.)

10+ Year Old Account
    lol. /comment on nut joke.

Anyway, yeah, it's just some physical labor. Sucks in the winter because it's cold out, might have to dig out the jack point if it's snowing, might have to decide which foot you're going to risk kicking the tire iron to get a nut loose. Hope I brought that Thermos of tea or coffee. Oh yeah, and I hope the nuts aren't rusted.

(learned to drive in snow territory.)
    Well, I was mostly referring to that fun moment when you can no longer get the wheel off the car, but it works either way. Standing outside in the freezing cold with a blowtorch isn't exactly a good time.

Well, I was mostly referring to that fun moment when you can no longer get the wheel off the car, but it works either way. Standing outside in the freezing cold with a blowtorch isn't exactly a good time.
    Damn it. Going to the hardware store in the morning to get a blow torch. Don't have one in my zombie survival kit.

Indeed, to me a car is merely a tool, anything aside from it is waste of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurioxan View Post
    Indeed, to me a car is merely a tool, anything aside from it is waste of money.
    I like to have nice tools that I think will last for a long time. But you won't see my blinging out my wrench set.

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel the same way. I try to buy a car that is durable, comfortable and affordable.

I like to have nice tools that I think will last for a long time. But you won't see my blinging out my wrench set.
    Exactly. If it does the job, its safe and lasts long, is what matters.
    Atm dont even own one actually, work is bike-able distance, saves on paying for taxes/insurance for something i dont use. Commuting cost also goes from 5-10ish a day to 0, gotta love it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Damn it. Going to the hardware store in the morning to get a blow torch. Don't have one in my zombie survival kit.
    If you don't have a small mobile warehouse in your car, you're pretty much just zombie chow to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kurioxan View Post
    Exactly. If it does the job, its safe and lasts long, is what matters.
    Atm dont even own one actually, work is bike-able distance, saves on paying for taxes/insurance for something i dont use. Commuting cost also goes from 5-10ish a day to 0, gotta love it.
    If I were to go to work on a bike from... anywhere, probably, there's a far more decent chance of me being knocked over and shived.

bike from... anywhere, probably, there's a far more decent chance of me being knocked over and shived.
    Thats disconcerting!
    My commute is very safe, and quite scenic as it goes side to side to a river

If you don't have a small mobile warehouse in your car, you're pretty much just zombie chow to me.
    Thermal blanket, magnetic flashlight, hand warmers, road flares, MREs, maps, winter clothes, hatchet, flint and steel, water, water purifiers...

...and a baseball bat!

Really just my winter driving kit, but could work in a pinch for a zombie incursion.

Thermal blanket, magnetic flashlight, hand warmers, road flares, MREs, maps, winter clothes, hatchet, flint and steel, water, water purifiers...

...and a baseball bat!

Really just my winter driving kit, but could work in a pinch for a zombie incursion.
    Needs first aid kit, car repair tools, duct tape (2-3 rolls!) etc!