Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    DPS bugs me so hard. If I'm doing damage, of course I'm doing damage per second. I'm also doing damage per minute, and hour. We don't call healers HPS.

If I'm chatting in-game, I usually just use the widely accepted shorthand "DPS", even though I hate it. If I'm having a conversation about the game IRL, I'll say "damage".

DPS is a crappy measurement anyway. It's kind of a relic from the MMORPG age of old where the gameplay was totally undynamic - stand there, keep the rotation going, fire away and let the numbers do their thing. "Damage per second" is way less of a relevant measurement with all the movement, downburst, target switching, snaring, interrupting, and general acrobatics going on in modern encounter design.

It was even worse when people started talking about HPS, which can only be interesting in Patchwerk like fights and hardly anywhere else. Nothing worse than a "sunday driver" healer who adopts that dick measurement contest mentality and proudly tops the HPS meters but still has people dropping in every crucial situation.

The rule of three would like to have a word with you my friend.

DD is more accurate, and vastly used on german realms.

DPS is the most popular one, all around.

Deleted
    It stuck. It is seen much more often coming from the players than from the makers.
    Creator's pets are not exactly the most popular in any incarnation.

Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    Hey everyone, I still have this question in my head:

Why the term DD is less popular and less used than the term DPS? even though in my personal opinion I think DD is more accurate because it means damage dealer where DPS it means damage per second. I have been playing WoW since vanilla and still playing in WoD. I still see some folks say DD instead of DPS but it's kinda very rare compare to the term DPS. :P

So yeah what do you think is the main reason behind this? discuss please and thanks for reading.
    DD... Direct Damage... usually cast time spells like Fireball
    DoT... Damage over Time... debuffs that slowly chip away over a length of time

DPS... Damage per Second

Never heard of DD meaning Damage Dealer until this thread.
    Last edited by Lodreh; 2015-09-14 at 12:40 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalium View Post
    DD... Direct Damage
    DoT... Damage over Time
    DPS... Damage per Second

Never heard of DD meaning Damage Dealer until this thread.
    In Russia it's always DD (well literally ДД, same thing). What's odd is that germans call normal mode NHC which probably means "normal heroic".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    In Russia it's always DD (well literally ДД, same thing). What's odd is that germans call normal mode NHC which probably means "normal heroic".
    Normal Hellfire Citadel.

I also find that highly confusing.

Everyone else calls it HFC, and the germans just have to call it HC for some reason -_-

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    Because DD is a pair of large breasts. Who wants to be called that?
    What I was thinking

Deleted
    NHC comes from non-heroic.

And yeah, in Germany we mostly say DD instead of DPS. I'm fine with either one of the terms, what would really irritate me though is if people started calling healers HPS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymaera View Post
    NHC comes from non-heroic.
    If that's true that makes even less sense, I mean non heroic could also be mythic..
    It just makes no sense

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Evolixe View Post
    If that's true that makes even less sense, I mean non heroic could also be mythic..
    It just makes no sense
    Yeah with mythic added it really doesn't make sense. But normal mode has been called nhc here for a long time, so I guess we'll keep on confusing people now that group finder is Europe-wide.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah with mythic added it really doesn't make sense. But normal mode has been called nhc here for a long time, so I guess we'll keep on confusing people now that group finder is Europe-wide.

It's especially bad when a leader picks the wrong diff in the tool and then states nhc.
    I've had an entire group disband before because people all thought it was heroic XD
    Last edited by Evolixe; 2015-09-14 at 01:21 PM.

Deleted
    It's usually NM on english realms, mythic could be called MC.

Deleted
    DD is very recent, started by forum admins in official wow forums during MoP launch I think. DPS is more traditional. Just let it be even if it's not too accurate.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's usually NM on english realms, mythic could be called MC.
    MC? What?

I just call it "M" because it's alpha mode :x

Quote Originally Posted by tobindax View Post
    DD is very recent, started by forum admins in official wow forums during MoP launch I think. DPS is more traditional. Just let it be even if it's not too accurate.
    DD has been used, at least by germans, since i started right before LK.

Deleted
    Normal Hellfire Citadel.

I also find that highly confusing.

Everyone else calls it HFC, and the germans just have to call it HC for some reason -_-

The german language is 99% big words that are made from other words. They are experts in those things.

- - - Updated - - -

MC? What?

I just call it "M" because it's alpha mode :x

DD has been used, at least by germans, since i started right before LK.

It wasn't a trend in english realms until the official forums renamed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvator View Post
    gotta agree. DPS is wrong. DD means you got a damagedealing spec. DPS means, well ... you deal damage... which is true for any good tank as well.

I prefer DD.
    DD means damagedealer, which tanks also do, so it's just as inaccurate using that logic.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

10+ Year Old Account
    I still don't think it's a trend now tbh. Just a couple of people new to the game that use that.. But pretty much all the veterans just call it DPS.