Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    BUNCH O STUFF
    Yeah yeah I get all that I still won't ever watch it though lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    *snap*
    Yay multitasking. Times change!

Quote Originally Posted by Frostyfire14 View Post
    I personally do not find Jimmy Kimmel's show entertaining; I do not watch the show. And I'm not defending any of the hate comments made towards Mr. Kimmel either; as such comments are not necessary and just as rude. But Mr. Kimmel is nothing but a bully at this point. Sure you can say people overreact, and I agree that the comments from the Youtube comments that he read were absolutely wrong, distasteful, and a horrible representation of this huge community.

But the comments / threats Mr. Kimmel makes in the second video are just as absolutely asinine too. How can one entertainer, who uses Youtube to promote himself, belittle a community that probably watches or used to watch his videos on said service and expect to walk away from it unscathed?

What are your thoughts on this topic? Do you think big television faces have the right to belittle communities they

Here are the original comments Jimmy Kimmel (and his writers) made on the video game watching and playing community.

His response to the Youtube comments after the original video.

4 minutes and 31 seconds in he issues his threat against the community. Take it as you will.
    Missing the joke from a comedian ...

They did a segment with Markiplier and another youtube gamer as well after this "scandal"...
    Come on we can't be this sensitive or clueless..can we?

Take a deep breathe, it is a joke that has been given "legs" because people have taken to social media to make threats.

It is ok..your "nerd/geek card" is still in good standing

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Not sure what that has to do with the joke!
    No? Someone talks to a microphone and assholes actually waste their time LISTENING to it. How fucking stupid are they? Jesus Fucking Christ!

Quote Originally Posted by enragedgorilla View Post
    Missing the joke from a comedian ...

They did a segment with Markiplier and another youtube gamer as well after this "scandal"...
    Come on we can't be this sensitive or clueless..can we?

Take a deep breathe, it is a joke that has been given "legs" because people have taken to social media to make threats.

It is ok..your "nerd/geek card" is still in good standing
    I think the problem stems from
    1) Him being a lot more agressive about it being "stupid" and his "Back in my day!"
    2) Him not being very funny, jokes that are at someone's expense only work out when they are actually humorous

Look at Conan's Clueless Gamer series, he mocks games and gamers constantly, but he's funny and his comments are more jests than "lol, you guys like something I don't understand and like, what idiots."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Delekii View Post
    Ok then; since you can do "the exact same thing that you are watching"; go and compete at a world class gaming event. Go on, I'll wait. Frankly, I'd even except evidence of some sort of even low level success at a game that you are currently playing.
    How many tournaments is Pewdiepie participating in? Tournaments make up a tiny fraction of gaming videos...

When you condense the argument down to its lowest common denominator, you are saying that people shouldn't watch the world cup because they can go and kick a soccer ball in the park.
    It's not lowest common denominator, it is the most common. Your example of tournament play us a tiny fraction and largest viewership is not for tournaments...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Even if we accept that, it's still analogous to people watching the "Pre-Game Show" and other sports related analysis, news, and so on, which people do in spades. But no one gets on their ass about it being a waste of time.
    When does Pewdiepie talk about statistics and game analysis? You honestly going to play the 'no one gets on their ass' about sports fans? Ridiculous...

http://youtu.be/CEVdca9U9LM

I guess the fat couch potatoes stuffing their faces with chicken wings, have thicker skins than game video watchers...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Oh, 2015: Where a late night talk show stand-up can't even very blatantly poke fun at one of the most belligerent internet communities without being mass downvoted and whined at.

Seriously, look at the average Twitch stream chat channel and you'll realize that a lot of these people deserve to be teased. A lot of people think it's cool and funny to be blatantly insulting towards the streamer they're watching but the moment said streamer or essentially anyone lashes back it suddenly turns into a giant pile-on.

I don't even like Kimmel. In fact, I think he's boring and I suspect that either his writers' or his own sense of humor is bland. But he's a late night talk show host, he's going to be making crass jokes and teasing all sorts of people. Do I think his joke is annoying considering I sometimes watch game streams? Maybe a little, but the way he described it was comically true: You're watching someone else at your screen, at their screen, playing a game. I think anyone can see a little bit of situational humor in that if you really stop and think about it.

Says a lot when a portion, Yes, a portion of the community act like raging zombies in response to Jimmy. Most of late night comedy is poking fun of people. It's really says that those people have issues. If they didn't, then they'd just blow it off as whatever. It's really unnerving when people act like those dopes represent the community.
    Last edited by Stonecloak; 2015-09-12 at 06:37 AM.

Deleted
    Gamers seem to be even more sensitive than SJW. "He said something bad about gaming, waaaaaaah!". If anything people need to poke at them more to teach them not to be so full of themselves.

He's got noting to fear from the threats though as that would entail the troll leaving mom's basement which probably is to much work between snacks.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    The gaming community doesn't understand how the comedy thing works ?
    Lol idd.

You guys are making it so easy for him to rip into you, just stop crying about it and learn to take a joke. Also, he'll probably move onto something else next week, yet you guys will continue to cry over this for the next few years, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexton View Post
    Gamers seem to be even more sensitive than SJW. "He said something bad about gaming, waaaaaaah!". If anything people need to poke at them more to teach them not to be so full of themselves.

He's got noting to fear from the threats though as that would entail the troll leaving mom's basement which probably is to much work between snacks.
    I actually like what he's doing. Maybe he will expose the idiots for what they are and embarrassing them. Funniest thing ever was people calling on lizard squad to "take him down" lol. Totally oblivious to the fact that LS hates gamers and game companies. Really uneducated over sensitive people.

This is so laughable..... Man up and take a joke. I found both the videos funny

10+ Year Old Account
    OMG Jimmy Kimmel messed with the wrong community!
    *begins hacking Jimmy Kimmel*
    owned

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why are people mad?

Can't you take a fucking joke?

and yes, if smug cunts like Darksydephil can make a living failing hard at video games, theres a fucking problem.

So to sum it up - A comedian jabs at gamers and they are too offended to take the joke. Of course if it was any other group, everything would be okay, because it's free speech, right?

Deleted
    Why do Americans keep watching this dead talk show format? It is at least thirty years old. Move on.

No one outside the US ever watched the format despite numerous attempts to replicate it abroad.

In Kimmel's case I don't understand how someone with no visible charisma got the job in the first place. How does such lazy plagiarism from his writers pass as comedy? These are some of he highest paid comic writers in television, there must be thousands of people who can do better.

Deleted
    Jimmy Kimmel:
    "watching videogames is a double waste of time""

Gamers:
    "DIE JIMMY KIMMEL DIE WE FUCKED UR FAMILY *deathtreats*

Jimmy Kimmel:
    "Rodents"

Gamers:
    "OMG WHAT DID HE JUST CALL US? *Pitchforks*

Hes 100% right.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    How many tournaments is Pewdiepie participating in? Tournaments make up a tiny fraction of gaming videos...

It's not lowest common denominator, it is the most common. Your example of tournament play us a tiny fraction and largest viewership is not for tournaments...
    Quote Originally Posted by Delekii View Post
    Now, let me further qualify this argument: Even if the person you are watching is totally shit at the game you are watching and you are better than them at the game, this STILL does not mean that you don't want to watch them play - in this case, the only reason you are watching them is likely because they are entertaining in some other way. Analogously, there are often comedians who do other things badly like singing or playing an instrument - you aren't watching them for that skill, but it makes up part of their act. Same thing for gamers who aren't in the high-skill or professional ilk. You aren't necessarily watching only for the game.

Why edit out the part of the post that specifically addresses your response? I don't watch pewdiepie so I have no idea what type of content he generates, but why does it matter whatsoever to you what enjoyment other people get out of watching it? A quick google of his youtube channel shows that some of his content generates more views than a great many TV shows do.

Anyway, there are 3 important points to this whole thing:

1. Watching videogames is a subjectively enjoyable pastime that is popular enough to allow many people to subsist from the revenue it generates.

2. Jimmy Kimmel probably knew this already, and like in pretty much all comedy ever, gets easy laughs from exploiting stereotypes (which is the same reason that people make blond jokes, or irish jokes, or jokes about [insert subculture with suitably funny stereotype here]).

3. Many people on both sides of the discussion took his segment WAAY too seriously, and like almost every other divisive issue on the internet, passionate interest plus anonymity equals giant douchebag loser morons.
    Last edited by Delekii; 2015-09-12 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    No one outside the US ever watched the format despite numerous attempts to replicate it abroad.
    I watch John Oliver.