Field Marshal
    7+ Year Old Account

Digital storm - Legit? or Not?

Hello everyone of MMOC,

I'm looking to be purchasing a new computer, one that's built of a list of parts that I am looking to put together. Now I have no clue how to properly construct one, nor do I want to take the risk to do so. I'm afraid my clumsy ass will just end up creating a bomb and exploding my apartment building. Anyways, I've been searching around different sites, reading reviews etc, and I came across this http://www.digitalstorm.com/ has anyone here heard of them, or have any personal reviews of their own they can share. Or is their a better option then going through a site like that?

Thanks!

15+ Year Old Account
    A better (and cheaper) option is to watch a few YouTube tutorials about how to put together Legos and do it yourself. Seriously; it's simplistic in nature shrouded by the appearance of complexity. It really isn't. It's absurdly simple. Each thing only goes (more or less) in one place. If it doesn't fit, you're barkin' up the wrong tree.

Please, do it yourself. You'll thank me later, and feel very accomplished.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

I agree with master guns building your own computer is best. Jayztwocents' 5 year old did it in one of his videos.
    Digital storm is a good brand, they do charge an arm and a leg for assembly though. Some £1300 ish on their £4000+ system. Linustechtips just reviewed one.
    Sental of Darkspear EU PC: i5 4460, Gigabyte z97p-d3, xfx/sappire r9 270 xfire, 1TB WD blue, Corsiar 540 Air, Corsair RM850, Corsair K30, Razer Naga 2014, 2 1080p monitors at 1440p(AMD VSR)

If you've ever swapped out a video card, you can build it yourself. I saved about $300 building it myself vs a prebuilt through ibuypower or cyberpower and could have saved more if I had shopped for deals instead of buying local(it was only about $80 difference). really watch a few youtube vids, it really is easy.

Plus with what you save, you can get better parts. Like I got a 390x instead of a 390.

It really is just like Legos with the exception that parts generally only fit one way and in one spot. CPU, memory, plugs/cables, GPU etc only go in one place and fit one way. I would never pay anyone to do it for me. Start at point A and move through the build methodically. As long as you are gentle and done force parts in you'll be fine. RAM can sometimes take a heavier touch but always double check the notches on them and everyone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

10+ Year Old Account
    So basically he's asking if they are a good company guys. Not your opinion on building him self. I also think building your own is the best way... But I understand some people have no interest in that.

To answer your question, they are considered pretty reputable, though assembly is quite expensive. They do a fantastic job wiring though, and that is in my opinion the hardest part.
    You're a towel.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    So basically he's asking if they are a good company guys. Not your opinion on building him self. I also think building your own is the best way... But I understand some people have no interest in that.

To answer your question, they are considered pretty reputable, though assembly is quite expensive. They do a fantastic job wiring though, and that is in my opinion the hardest part.
    Careful how you word things. There's no wiring involved in building a PC. I realize you mean routing the wires in the case so they look nice and neat but that's not wiring like most people think of when they hear the word.

I think everyone's point is that there is no point paying a company to build your PC no matter how reputable. It's not like remodeling a kitchen where leaving it to someone more experienced is advisable. It's a total waste of money - building your PC is really that easy and satisfying.
    Last edited by Cerus; 2015-09-13 at 02:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    Careful how you word things. There's no wiring involved in building a PC. I realize you mean routing the wires in the case so they look nice and neat but that's not wiring like most people think of when they hear the word.

I think everyone's point is that there is no point paying a company to build your PC no matter how reputable. It's not like remodeling a kitchen where leaving it to someone more experienced is advisable. It's a total waste of money - building your PC is really that easy and satisfying.
    I think the phrase he's looking for is cable management.
    Also the OP might have abit of money to spend and doesn't want to have to deal with the hassle of building a system.

To OP : Digital Storm is solid company to buy a premade computer from.
    Last edited by Bigvizz; 2015-09-13 at 02:17 PM.

Field Marshal
    7+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the input people, I appreciate it, and will most likely just purchase from them instead of building my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Tempur View Post
    Thanks for the input people, I appreciate it, and will most likely just purchase from them instead of building my own.
    I highly recommend ibuypower or cyberpowerpc. They have a far better selection of systems and parts and are quite a bit cheaper. They also offer good deals each week that you can take advantage of, which usually includes free upgrades and gaming gear.

15+ Year Old Account
    Where do you live?
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post

To you, me, and others here it is very satisfying. I wish more of my friends wanted to get into PC gaming so I could help them with their build (so far only one has converted). But satisfaction is merely subjective.

Also, the hardest part IMO is the CPU cooler installation.

EDIT: If there is one thing I love about DStorm, it's the Bolt case. Really hoping more cases like that are made to be sold standalone.
    Last edited by kail; 2015-09-15 at 08:54 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempur View Post
    Hi Tempur (and other forum posters too). Good luck on your purchase, if you do ever change your mind though and want to build one yourself (or upgrade parts at a later date) I'll be more than willing to help, I've built many gaming rigs & servers over the last 15 years and love building so you're welcome to get in touch.