Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    As a frost mage, and a consistent top performer.. I am in the first vision group because I have the ability to not only tunnel boss when clear, but when I get FoF proc, my ice lance one-shots the bloods (thanks also to archi trinket). If mages are not going into the vision, either there is something wrong with the mages play, or guilds have different priorities for damage.

Honestly, I see no reason a mage shouldn't be in the vision groups. Though to be fair, our group actually handles adds well so I get to spend about 98% of my time tunneling the boss.
    "When you build it, you love it!"

7+ Year Old Account
    Damage is done regardless, and the adds on Kilrogg's fight is top priority. I have been both part of the visions group on some kills and never went into the visions other kills. It does not matter. Usually our guild sends the highest DPS into the visions group because they can stack the buff up to 20 faster and that means less time in the visions phase and more damage and healing done to Kilrogg and his Bleeding Hallow Clan.
    Signature and matching avatar made by the lovely Winter Blossom.
    Hellfire Citadel Progression: 13/13 LFR, 12/13 Normal, 7/13 Heroic, 0/13 Mythic

Quote Originally Posted by bowchikabow View Post
    If mages are not going into the vision, either there is something wrong with the mages play, or guilds have different priorities for damage.

Honestly, I see no reason a mage shouldn't be in the vision groups. Though to be fair, our group actually handles adds well so I get to spend about 98% of my time tunneling the boss.
    This exactly. If you have 20 stacks the adds (except the terrors) get 1 shot. Doesn't seem to matter what class, they just die. If you send 1 melee and a ranged dps, the ranged can global the bloodthirsters then focus the boss. The melee can usually kill the terror in just a few seconds. If you don't have 2 melee, when you have 2 ranged with the buff just have 1 of them help with the terrors. 5-10s (2-3 globals for the bloodthirsters and 2 or 3 for bloods) out of each minute that you have the buff isn't a huge dps loss, and if it means you kill him, just do it.

Even if you run with a full 30 people, the visions group should be handling the adds. They can do it solo, leaving the rest of the group to tunnel the boss.1 person losing boss time > everyone losing boss time.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/ranking...metric=bossdps

go with rogue+mage+any healer.
    dont assign them to adds lol. its enough the mage cast 1 ab on the blob (or 2 if your killtime is so slow that they start coming in pairs).
    Leave the humanoids be gripped by dks into mele and stunned. or if no grips are up let hunters/locks deal with them. Havoc is free dmg for locks and hutners excell at add dutys.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaydenkor View Post
    ... This has got to be the... weirdest post ever.

What a few posters have said is correct; YOU killing adds with the empowerment means other people don't have to switch around, netting the same, if not more dps, because MORE people can just focus boss.
    You wanting to tunnel boss with buff is hurting your raid. If an ooze is reaching the boss because you didnt switch. your fault, you wiped the raid.... if you didnt switch to kill a small orc running to the transformation spot, and it changed into a big add which wiped your raid... guess what, Your fault, you wiped the raid.

Composition of vision groups does not matter as long as they can reach 19-20 stacks.
    DKs and Rets DO see more powerful, or more able to consistently get the *group* 20 stacks, but you should not send both together, Instead send:
    1. DK + Warlock + healer
    2. DK + Ret(or mage, we alternate) + healer
    3. Warrior + warrior + healer (they usually get 13-15 stacks, but when they get out, boss is 13-15%)

WRONG!!! WRONG!!!WRONG!!! WRONG!!! WRONG!!! WRONG!!! WRONG!!! WRONG!!!.

You couldn't be any more wrong if you tried.

any caster is going to be nuking for 1.5mill to 2.5m and the bloods/bloodthirsters have 1.1 million health, thats potentially 1.5 MILLION DAMAGE WASTED ON EVERY SINGLE ADD, and if you happen to hit it at half life then it's ever more damage wasted.

Seriously it's not a good idea to have ranged classes hitting add with the buff.

Deleted
    My Guild goes -

Frost DK/Arcane/Holy Paladin -> Rogue/Arcane/RDruid or Shaman -> Warrior/Ret or Shadow/Disc (Execute Group)
    Last edited by mmoc9bef67a441; 2015-10-03 at 11:04 AM.

It's interesting to see how different people's opinions are on how to utilize the buff.
    Speaking from experience I did find it frustrating to swap to an add with the buff only for it to almost die by the time I got a cast off, so I'd prefer to stick on the boss and just kill adds when they're at risks of causing issues + I obviously help on terror.
    We send a boomkin/hunter as the first two ranged now though.

We'll kill this as soon as we get enough people online for mythic, but thanks still, the responses are still helpful.

Deleted
    Sub rogue + carry class

Quote Originally Posted by Woobels View Post
    Speaking from experience I did find it frustrating to swap to an add with the buff only for it to almost die by the time I got a cast off [...]
    That's why you tell your fellow raiders to NOT care for small adds as long as a ranged DPS with Buff is up. I'm Hunter and always in 1st group and as soon as I call in voice that I'm back from vision all the others know that they can tunnel the boss/big add unless I call for help (unlikely) or until my buff runs out (which I announce in voice again). You really only have to 'teach' your raiders to listen to your call.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Magictricks View Post
    WRONG!!! WRONG!!!WRONG!!! WRONG!!! WRONG!!! WRONG!!! WRONG!!! WRONG!!!.

You couldn't be any more wrong if you tried.

any caster is going to be nuking for 1.5mill to 2.5m and the bloods/bloodthirsters have 1.1 million health, thats potentially 1.5 MILLION DAMAGE WASTED ON EVERY SINGLE ADD, and if you happen to hit it at half life then it's ever more damage wasted.

Seriously it's not a good idea to have ranged classes hitting add with the buff.
    LOL. NO.

It's more wasted DPS if several ranged DPS without buff have to switch on adds all the time and blow off several abilities into nothing because add dies earlier. It's FAR MORE controlled and safe if only the guy with the buff just quickly kills the adds while the rest of the team focuses on boss.

Anyway, boss damage is not gamebreaking on Kilrogg. It's the adds that have to be killed with top priority, especially on Mythic difficulty. A Hunter/Lock/Mage with buff is perfect for that task.