Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Everyone hates everyone?

I think ff14 is a great game. Solid gameplay and lots to do. But holy hell, what is wrong with the community?

Between its official forums, the subreddit (which is literally just a fanboy haven for shitting on people who dont know final fantasy) and the general players you come across in pugs this game just has the worst overall attitude.

Literally can't que for extremes without one or more of the dps freaking out at the group and forcing wipes when able. And thats before we even really get into our first goes.

WoWs community has become something of a joke lately but I'll be damned if FF14 doesn't take it to the next level of asshatedness.

Never experienced it in my ~100hrs

Maybe you've discovered that the world is full of varied human beings that all act differently now?

Have been doing extremes for about a week now. finished about 20% of them the others barely get past the first attempt before people just start getting mouthier than a new yorker driving in rush hour

I supposed this is an attempt to make FFXIV look bad and WoW look good by claiming that the community is worse. It's not. FFXIV has the best community I've seen in an MMORPG.

I have never EVER experienced anything even remotely close to that. People are always helpful and try to help new players get better at the game.

I think that ff14 has more to offer ingame with its fates quests and dungeon design. I think most of the struggles with pugs I'm having are specific to the group in the 50s range. The level of difficulty spikes and I think that the quality of life changes make people think they are better than most in comparison. Its something you don't see at later levels for sure.

Well this is just hogwash

ROFL just no OP. FF14 is an absolute culture shock compared to the asshole toxicity that is WoW or League of Legends for example. Guild Wars 2 is another prime example of a decent community in mmos and the moment I played both mmos I was suprised. Don't get me wrong levelling up I met a few unfriendly characters but there will always be that side of an MMO.

Deleted
    Played the game for a year. Have encountered exactly 5 (!!!) toxic players and here and there some elitists who just had a big mouth but could be easylie ignored.

Official forums are mostly just a piece of paper for all the QQ people. Even the LotRO forums have been bad like every other official forum out there.
    And reddit... well... I don´t get why people read anything there. The pics and screenshots are nice but everything that includes text is garbage (cause more QQ or attention seeking.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    I've always said that that FFXIV community is extremely friendly...until you reach endgame stuff. Then it's the same collection of asshats that you find in any other MMO.
    Encountered this a few times but had a friendly bunch of players willing to help me with Alexander since that raid is my first in ff14. There will always be a toxic side of a community just FF14 barely shows it and is pretty tight knit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chesder View Post
    Have been doing extremes for about a week now. finished about 20% of them the others barely get past the first attempt before people just start getting mouthier than a new yorker driving in rush hour
    Yeah those are ex WoW players to be honest. The community in FFXIV is one of the best I have seen in ages. I haven't played since the expansion came out but yeah people actually communicate and help new people out. I mean hell when I started I was running around and some guy inspected me and told me to follow him. He made me a full set of new gear for free. Never in my time of playing wow have I ever seen anything like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Meowzer22 View Post
    ROFL just no OP. FF14 is an absolute culture shock compared to the asshole toxicity that is WoW or League of Legends for example. Guild Wars 2 is another prime example of a decent community in mmos and the moment I played both mmos I was suprised. Don't get me wrong levelling up I met a few unfriendly characters but there will always be that side of an MMO.

I actually never had problems with the WoW community in-game (yes, there are always idiots on forums who complain about everything), and I've been playing it for 10 years. Same with FF14, the people were friendly but didn't often talk. Just in dungeons when it was required.

Guild Wars on the other hand was a hell. People were complaining about everything. It's one of the major reasons I never continued playing it. Not that I miss it, but it really bothered me at the time.

Anyway, back on topic, I often find the toxic players around on forums and reddit, not only on the pages for WoW, LoL, GW and FF14. People always need something to complain about. It's with almost every game that way.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chesder View Post
    Yes, random people doing extremes and raids are just as bad as the WoW community. Thing is, unlike in WoW, that's not majority of the FFXIV players.

I've really only had one bad experience so far, and that was with two buddies who refused to destroy the prison ability on the last boss of The Aery. Even then, while they were unpleasant and basically trolls, they didn't try to vote kick or go out of their way to wipe the group.

I've had a tank cuss everyone out (mostly the healers) on a random Bismarck trial after a wipe or two, he left, and then we completed it immediately after. Most of the time when a group is failing, people will make suggestions, and/or eventually someone will call for a vote to dismiss.

I'd love to know which server you're on that is so toxic. I'm not saying that the FFXIV community is composed of saints by any means, but to continually run into people like that makes me want to know where all of these people are coming from.
    Last edited by Forumchibi; 2015-09-16 at 02:14 PM.

From 1-60 I have only seen 3 toxic players, two month of playing. 2 were being toxic to one another in a low level dungeon (typical healer tank issues) and 1 was a healer who was not healing anyone unless they dropped below 35% and didn't rez the dps after we defeated the final boss and just hopping out.

WoW on the other hand has one of the worst communities in the game because people try to draw attention to how awesome they are by shitting on everyone else that they are trying to differenciate themselves from.

FFXIV gets it's nicer community from its base of players that came from FFXI, which is a game much older than wow. It was mainly played by Generation X in their hay day. By the time WoW came out the majority of the last of Generation X had moved on to finishing college, building families and starting careers in their 20's, it was also a time when the majority of highschool kids were socially expected to go to college. They left home around 18 and played games more casually.
    Millenials were in their teens and middle to highschool by the time wow came out and they became the first generation of hard core wow raiders. Millenials also don't typically leave home until their mid to late 20's and start building careers and families in their 30's. The first millenials are between 30 and 35 now. They are the generation who began the trash talking to draw attention to their '1337 skills' and the toxicity has compounded since then. Drawing attention to oneself to achieve desired attention is easier if you are a loud and behaving badly, somewhere along the line that became an expected staple of an elite player, He must be awesome because he spends so much effort showing us he is better than everyone else.

A lot of wow players are stepping away from wow, at least temporarily during between expansion downtime, and a lot of these players are bringing their brand of toxicity to other mmos. Once you adopt a technique of toxicity rewarded in attention it is kind of hard to step away from that.

That being said, ffxiv has one of the best communities out there. Hell yesterday I was screwing around with a lowbie archer and out of the blue someone chased me down and started producing all kinds of level 5-10 high quality gear for me to wear expecting nothing in return and I had never met them before.
    Last edited by DeadmanWalking; 2015-09-16 at 02:18 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Yeah. I have yet to come across a noticeable amount of toxic players, every once in awhile you get an elitest that thinks they are the greatest at the game but that's to be expected in an mmo setting.
    Just remember that if its on the internet(any mmo or moba) that it will have some amount of toxic people, its just the nature of the internet.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gourmandise View Post
    Never experienced it in my ~100hrs

Maybe you've discovered that the world is full of varied human beings that all act differently now?
    Same. I think the OP is confusing WoW with FFXIV. I've experienced a lot of shittiness in WoW and on the forums, and next to none of that in FFXIV.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is no need for lengthy debate or research into this. The longer a game is around the more toxic it's environment becomes.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    The community in FFXIV is one of the best I have seen in ages.
    No it is not.
    I saw 0 difference between doing dungeons in WoD when they were new and doing dungeons in FF-XIV. In both instances people were patient, willing to experiment and it was generally fun.

I see 0 difference between WoW and FF-XIV now that dungeons are farmed at nauseum for [currency]. Good runs are silent and the moment people wipe dudes either ragequit or start yapping.

I do not get it why or where FFs community is supposed to be so different from WoWs.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've only been playing casually for a few months, but there have only been two instances where people have been douches. Once in a dungeon run I was tanking and stated I hadn't been there before - then got yelled at for not knowing to kill some stone heads on the pedestals - and some kid raging in FC chat.

Everyone else I've encountered have been patient and helpful as I've learned the game and dungeon mechanics.

In either game, the experience you receive will be the contingent on the players you surround yourself with. Should you leave that experience up to the match-maker you are rolling the dice so YMMV compared to the person next to you, which is why people have such disparaging differences in their opinions regarding the community across different games.

My personal experience? Both games have treated my overall very well. There were a few times when pugging Ravana EX I struggled to find a clear group because of casual bads, that really discouraged me for about 2 weeks. Alternatively, I remember my wow guild (raiding with casual friends) to be so bad at the game that I had to pug Heroic Blackhand for my 1st kill, and being refused groups because I was a Ret really discouraged me.
    Last edited by Wrecktangle; 2015-09-16 at 08:38 PM.