Poll: Do you take lunch breaks?

Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Do you take a 'Lunch Break' at work?

A thing I see more regularly nowadays, are people taking pride in not taking lunch breaks. They pride themselves on being a 'hard worker' and absolutely busting their arse to work as much as possible, yet are quite clearly harming themselves.

My question is, do you think it's productive or not? I personally take a full 60 minute lunch break every day. Even if I'm busy. Granted, I don't have an insanely stressful job like Social Workers, Nurses etc. However, I find myself much more productive after I've had a little walk and got some grub down me.

It just seems like it's the new office taboo. Actually taking lunch is frowned upon. I've seen other colleagues and supervisors bitch about people who take lunch breaks. You shouldn't be made to feel guilty to take something you're entitled too and what is encouraged by health experts.

Question: Do you take Lunch Breaks? If so, why. If not, explain.
    Last edited by Tommy T; 2015-09-16 at 02:11 PM.

Deleted
    yes, i find lunch break the most important part of my job

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, of course I do. If I go without eating for 8 hours I'll feel like shit and performance will reflect that - I think you loose a lot more productivity by not taking that break.

That trend isn't a thing here, sounds dumb.

You could just make a poll.

And.. yes I take a lunchbreak, a pissbreak and sometimes a coffe break. I even take MMO-C breaks (see this comment).
    I'm not a robot. I always get my work done on time and help with projects they invite me to, so everyone else can fuck off .

When I first started working years ago I didn't want to, I'd rather just work all day then get off work without taking a break but my boss told me that it was illegal to not have a break. Being a kid and not knowing exactly what he meant by "illegal to not have a break" I took breaks when it was convenient for everyone else because I still didn't want to but had to. I still to this day just take my breaks around everyone else but secretly work now lol. So since I have to, I voted Yes everyday.
    Last edited by Drusyn; 2015-09-16 at 12:02 PM.

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Yea! Nothing will separate me from my sweet sweet coffee!

10+ Year Old Account
    I take it, if you don't you are a fool.

It can be that i'm working on something and i take it later that day but i always take those 30 to 60 minutes are my right, if you forsake it that's your thing and your boss is just laughing at you since in a lot of cases you don't get paid for those minutes what can mean you worked an hour for free.

If my supervisor or employer would ever complain to me about it, i would take it up with my union rep, they are there for a reason. Here at least it's written down how much time you have to get legally every day per sector even.
    Last edited by Acidbaron; 2015-09-16 at 12:18 PM.

Hahah, hard workers.. So funny, cause in a few years they figure it out, it ain't worth it. My lunch break is paid, and it's meager 20minutes, but all of us sit atleast 35minutes, and if it's sunny, it'll last an hour.

Why I take lunch break? Really you want to know why I want to eat, and chill my brain and talk to people, laughing and smiling?

Deleted
    Most of the time. I am a Financial Manager; sometimes there are tight dead lines to be met, and some times there are exceptional circumstances like overseeing the stock taking at the end of Q2 & Q4.

I work 5 days a week, and I can safely say that I take the lunch break at a rate of 4/5 though.

Yes, it is mandatory in norway.

And even if you dont take a break you got 30 minites of the day not paid. So no reason not to take one

Deleted
    I oftenly have lunch with business partners or accountmanagers and if I don't have any appointments I pick up my girl and we have lunch somwhere.

Its mandatory by law.

I make a break every 25m for 5m, watch some stuff, stretch, exercise, so if it were up to me, id skip lunch break, waste of time and only makes long days longer.

Fairly sure labor laws around here make it illegal to work someone eight hours without a break...

I get 30 minutes and you're damn right I'll take it and since everyone else in the building but me smokes, I get to take several extra 5 - 10 minute breaks scattered throughout the night when the rest of the team decides they really, really need a hit of lung cancer. Yeah, you guys go do that and I'll just go take a piss and kick back in a quiet corner with my feet up for a few and rest.

why would you not? fucking hell being hungry all day fuck that.

15+ Year Old Account
    I would take a lunch break no matter what job I had. Of course if it's part time I wouldn't need a break since I could just eat before/after.

Quote Originally Posted by ButterBeast View Post
    why would you not? fucking hell being hungry all day fuck that.
    depending on the type of work, you can eat while working, so why waste 30-1h of your day on it

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    A lunch break is a good thing. However, like many people, there is simply too many things going on to take full lunch breaks anymore. After a while, you get used to it. And my schedule has enough flexibility that while I commonly have to address things during lunchtime, I usually make up for it at other parts of the day.

Very rarely. I hate the people and the environment of my work, so I tend to just abstract away from that in the work until I can leave.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I work an hourly job, so we're required by law to take a lunch break as well as paid 15 minute breaks.

Those people are so annoying. And a lot of them only pretend they work really hard because they are afraid others will think they are lazy.
    I have this one friend who constantly feels like he needs to tell everyone how much overtime he makes or how busy he is this week or how early has to get up to get to work. Like anyone cares or like other people don't have things to do in their lives.

No it's not really a good idea to skip lunch breaks eventhough you might think you are cool. It's been proven and quite obvious you are more productive if you take breaks and relax.

I also don't want to waste my life working 60 hours a week or stress so much over work that I barely have a social life left and feel like a zombie when I get home. Work isn't that important.