Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Man Spends More Time Than Any Person Should Ever Spend To Make a Sandwich. Cost $1500

I really hope eating the sandwich was worth spending so much time making it that couldve been spent much better. I like my food to be fresh and as homemade as possible, but this is ridiculous (making your own flour from wheat he grew)

http://consumerist.com/2015/09/16/gu...y-from-scratch

How much does it cost to make a sandwich at home? Depending on your ingredients, probably only a few dollars, unless you’re shaving truffles on top or using cheese edged in gold. It also likely takes you just a few minutes to assemble your desired snack. That is, unless you’re the guy who made all his ingredients from scratch, costing him $1,500 and taking six months of his time.
    Because watching a video of someone slapping some chicken breast, cheese and lettuce on bread isn’t that interesting, Andy George of the “How to Make Everything” YouTube channel posted a video about his efforts to make all of the ingredients he’d need for his entirely homemade sandwich, including: growing his own vegetables and pickling his own pickles, making salt from ocean water, milking a cow to make cheese and butter, harvesting wheat and then grinding it to make his own flour, collecting honey and yes, killing a chicken himself

7+ Year Old Account
    Has this man has never heard of the Grocery store before?

Deleted
    His bread was made wrongly (flour far too course and it didn't rise properly) so supposedly it tasted pretty awful.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well now i know how to waste 6months.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Riptor View Post
    Has this man has never heard of the Grocery store before?
    apparently not

People like doing different things, who'd a thought?
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Piglord View Post
    People like doing different things, who'd a thought?
    Yeah but when it involves spending 1600 dollars on 1 fucking sandwich which does not even taste good you really have to question why in the mother of fuck would he do this

10+ Year Old Account
    6 months to make all the ingredients and he completely fucks up the bread, brilliant.

Yeah but when it involves spending 1600 dollars on 1 fucking sandwich which does not even taste good you really have to question why in the mother of fuck would he do this
    I've spent several thousands of dollars on playing video games, and have fuck all the show for it. I've spent several thousands of dollars, gardening, farming, bee keeping, fishing, ranching, etc. and have freezers, cupboards, and family's freezers and cupboards filled with really good food.
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.

There would have been alot of wasted money on this, for instance he got sea water, which he had to go on a flight for, if he lived near the ocean that wouldnt be an issue and he made a garden just for a little wheat, he can re-use the garden to grow more crops later.

The actual cost would be much much lower, most of the price is in setting things up, all of the ingredients are really cheap to get on their own.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I really hope eating the sandwich was worth spending so much time making it that couldve been spent much better. I like my food to be fresh and as homemade as possible, but this is ridiculous (making your own flour from wheat he grew)

http://consumerist.com/2015/09/16/gu...y-from-scratch

I mean, I love you buddy - but you get the over reaching point here, right? Normally if someone linked something like this I would assume the broader point was obvious but since, well, nvm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I mean, I love you buddy - but you get the over reaching point here, right? Normally if someone linked something like this I would assume the broader point was obvious but since, well, nvm.
    That modern economies are awesome?
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

I think he's trying to shed light on the fact that a lot of things that seem like simple parts of life (i.e. a sandwich) are actually really complicated and require a shit-load of work. We just take it for granted because we don't see the work going on. We do our own work, get paid, and use the money to benefit from the work of others.

I grow all my own vegetables in my garden some take a few months, I don't eat bread and I am not allowed to keep chickens or any livestock where I live. I am all for some homesteading though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    I think he's trying to shed light on the fact that a lot of things that seem like simple parts of life (i.e. a sandwich) are actually really complicated and require a shit-load of work. We just take it for granted because we don't see the work going on. We do our own work, get paid, and use the money to benefit from the work of others.
    Nothing beats growing your own food if possible.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    I grow all my own vegetables in my garden some take a few months, I don't eat bread and I am not allowed to keep chickens or any livestock where I live. I am all for some homesteading though.
    How come no chickens? City rules or other? My sister-in-law lived in Seattle for years and had 8 chickens. The eggs were insanely awesome.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Nothing beats growing your own food if possible.
    Totally agree.

And look at that! 800,000 views on his video. At a cent a piece that's 8,000 dollars.
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."
    Greg Street, Riot Developer - 12:50 PM - 25 May 2015

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    That modern economies are awesome?
    That and a few other broad strokes, yes. Most people are absolutely clueless how difficult it is to make even the simplest meals if left to Little House on the Prairie resources. It's one of the issues that comes up when people discuss societal infrastructure breakdown and it's immediate impact on food stores and starvation. Most cities can't go a week without modern economies.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogums View Post
    And look at that! 800,000 views on his video. At a cent a piece that's 8,000 dollars.
    Oh wow, i never looked at the amount of views.....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    That and a few other broad strokes, yes. Most people are absolutely clueless how difficult it is to make even the simplest meals if left to Little House on the Prairie resources. It's one of the issues that comes up when people discuss societal infrastructure breakdown and it's immediate impact on food stores and starvation. Most cities can't go a week without modern economies.
    Yeah, I just bundle all that into "modern economies are awesome." Having spent some time in a semi-premodern society, I can totally appreciate modern society all the more.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

He needs his ass beat.