Poll: How prepared are you?

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    I lived through society collapse when I was a child. It won't be immediate. Society won't dissapear and zombies won't start to run around.

7+ Year Old Account
    I have a surplus of toilet paper, that's about it

One of my homes has an underground panic room/fire bunker. It kept stocked with enough water and basic canned food to last a week. There are several firearms and cases of ammunition, PPE, gas masks, medical kits, etc.

But this is all in the event I wake up in the middle of the night and the surrounding forest is on fire.

The only thing that would resemble prepping for the collapse of American society would be the decision I made about 6 years ago to begin securing my wealth against the decline or collapse of the USD.

Doing such a thing requires a considerable investment in both time and money so I suppose by that comparison I am a prepper, just of a different sort.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    Except, as par course of any zombie movie, you know one of your friends will have been bitten, hides it from the rest, and hilarity ensues.. Unless you made plans to strip down naked to make sure that is not something to be concerned about.
    We hadn't made plans to do so - but I'll insist now that you mention it - half of us have slept together at some point, in some combination or another. We should probably do that at the first rendezous point, before we head north - so drive 30-45 minutes north to an uninhabited island, arrive naked - thoroughly examine one another for bite marks: then continue north.

My zombie survival plan now involves skinny dipping - this is a good plan.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

You forgot the outdoor survivalist option.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    You forgot the outdoor survivalist option.
    I think that option would end pretty abruptly as soon as you meet some nutjob who pulls a gun on you.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    I have a surplus of toilet paper, that's about it
    One of the most important things. Really.

7+ Year Old Account
    Stockpile prepping is a pretty bad long term strategy, it can also be very economically wasteful. Living in an arable region with plenty of precipitation and fertilizer sources is much better, then network with trustworthy friends capable of defending it.

I've got like a lifetime supply of shampoo/shower gel because I keep buying new ones to try out and don't use them again. So if the world falls into anarchy and shampoo becomes the main currency, I'm good.

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    I think that option would end pretty abruptly as soon as you meet some nutjob who pulls a gun on you.
    I'd move far away from people. And plus a gun is not a good weapon if everybody is out to get you. Makes too much noise. You would have to have a subsonic weapon to discharge it quietly. Like an air gun or a bow.

If the world goes to shit I'm heading north... everywhere else will be like LFR. The northern woodlands/Canadian shield would be very difficult to survive off of. Mythic mode... but it's doable.

It's covered enough to stay hidden if you aren't running around shooting a rifle.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    One of my homes has an underground panic room/fire bunker. It kept stocked with enough water and basic canned food to last a week. There are several firearms and cases of ammunition, PPE, gas masks, medical kits, etc.

But this is all in the event I wake up in the middle of the night and the surrounding forest is on fire.

The only thing that would resemble prepping for the collapse of American society would be the decision I made about 6 years ago to begin securing my wealth against the decline or collapse of the USD.

Doing such a thing requires a considerable investment in both time and money so I suppose by that comparison I am a prepper, just of a different sort.
    Are those fire bunkers really effective?

I feel like I can see a lot of problems with it - radiant heat would cook you even if it's underground - often it's the roots that spread forest fires, not the branches like people often think - so the ground itself can become extremely hot: not to mention burning trees like to fall on the ground - your basically in the epicentre of the inferno.

Then you have the air supply problem - forest fires can last quite awhile, which would mean you need outside air - but forest fires also flood the area with carbon monoxide, which is heavier than air and will sit on the forest floor. You would need a self-contained air supply - like scuba tanks - but that's unreasonable if you have to survive for days. Yet, if you had a vent or anything - all you would get is super-heated air (again baking you inside), or more likely super-heated carbon monoxide - baking you and silently suffocating you.

I have a sizeable stash of granola. Bring it on!

^monoxide is lighter than air. Carbon dioxide is what's heavier. Still not breathable but not as toxic.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    ^monoxide is lighter than air. Carbon dioxide is what's heavier. Still not breathable but not as toxic.
    Huh - apparently it's a myth that it's heavier - thanks!

The More You Know! .--*

I have a case of water under the side panel of my desktop that acts as my mousepad. So... i dunno, not really.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Deleted
    fire bunker sounds like an oven yeah

unless it's very deep in the ground I guess, but you'd still need a steady supply of fresh/non superheated air, better have a really powerful A/C installed down there lol

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    out of curiousity, what do the expiration dates of these look like? I mean does rice ever go bad?
    Yes rice goes bad.

Many freeze dried foods can last 10+ years if properly packed and stored. Some carb sources in the right medium could last longer than a human lifetime. Fats and proteins are a bit more difficult.
    Last edited by PC2; 2015-09-17 at 06:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a bug out bag with emergency tools in there (fire starter kit, lighter, knife, hatchet, fishing kit, flash light/batteries, rain poncho which can also double as a make-shift shelter, steel canteen (in case I need to cook or distill water), multi-tool, wire saw, non-perishables and some other stuff I can't remember).
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

I'd be dead within a few days, but there really isn't a point to prepping in the CONUS anyway. With the amount of guns people own in this country, an enemy would have to be batshit insane to invade us. (The Japanese were smart enough not to attempt it.)

We do live in a Hurricane prone area, so it probably would not be a bad idea to invest in a generator and 2 weeks worth of food.

10+ Year Old Account
    I figure by living in the ghetto I'm getting a lot of training for the collapse of society. It teaches you to keep your head on a swivel.
    Most importantly you learn to identify bad actors and avoid potentially bad situations. Avoid certain streets or alleys.
    You learn to cope with random violence. Just duck when you hear gunshots. Brush it off and move on.
    Homeless drug addicts are the closest thing to zombies. You learn to asses each one and consider whether avoidance or rebuffment is the best course of action.

Then writing all this out, I realize that George Romero has a good point about zombies being a metaphor for racism/classicm.