Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ossandran View Post
    Why use damn when fuck and shit are so much better?
    It's just a bad habit I developed it a few years back. I didn't do it as a kid but I think I gave myself permission to let it fly and ask for forgiveness later.

Always meant to stop but it's a hard habit to break.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Carry a Sharpie in your pocket. Every time you say it, make a mark on your arm. That's how I got rid of throwing "like" and "umm" into my speaking.
    So that works better than substituting the words?
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    So that works better than substituting the words?
    "God damn" usually comes out as an utterance in a moment of passion. It's hard to control. My examples were more similar to a stutter; trying to figure out how to phrase what I'm saying so, like, umm... yeah I'll finish the sentence.

Try, "Fucking hell"

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    I have a theory that once you get past 10k posts, your brain starts deteriorating.

Look at many of the 10k+ posters and they all have some sort of crazy spur every once in a while. It's like holding the One Ring for too long. Some can hold it longer without going crazy, but in the end you lose regardless.
    I think you're on to something here...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    "God damn" usually comes out as an utterance in a moment of passion. It's hard to control. My examples were more similar to a stutter; trying to figure out how to phrase what I'm saying so, like, umm... yeah I'll finish the sentence.

Try, "Fucking hell"
    Yeah that's how it started. I gave myself a pass started graduating towards saying GD, so I thought a substitute might work. Swearing in general however is much easier for me to stop.

But like you said was an utterance used and now it's a bad habit.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had a friend in High School who evolved over the course of high school as follows:

Oh Dear
    Oh My Dear
    Oh My Dear Goodness
    Oh My Dear Sweet Goodness

He was anti-religious if anything, and he had no problem swearing or whatever, but I think he liked the incongruence of the phrase with the rest of his demeanor.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I had a friend in High School who evolved over the course of high school as follows:

Oh Dear
    Oh My Dear
    Oh My Dear Goodness

He was anti-religious if anything, and he had no problem swearing or whatever, but I think he liked the incongruence of the phrase with the rest of his demeanor.
    Good golly!
    Great Scott!
    Holy moly!

My favorite, of course: Fuck fuck fuckity fuck.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post

Oh Dear
    Oh My Dear
    Oh My Dear Goodness

Yeah I can relate it's a bad habit, but it's something I want to change.

I'm trying to stop saying " God damn" because I don't want to use gods name in vein, but its hard to stop cold turkey. I've tried to say "Hot damn" which sort of works, but I feel wrong about it because although I'm saying "Hot damn" it still feels like I'm being disrespectful to god and still saying the same thing.

So I need some advice from some who might have a suggestion on alternatives. I've considered " Dog gone" which I think is derived of something completly different but I don't know.

Anybody have any alternatives that's just as satisfying to say that I won't feel like slighting God when I say it?
    Oh come on
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

I vote say it more, and maybe god will smite you...

10+ Year Old Account
    Is this you OP?

Just say "asshole" I mean if you believe in the god from the bible its pretty much the same thing. What person other than an asshole would make a man kill his own son as a test of faith?

10+ Year Old Account
    Learn to swear in Norwegian. All our swear-words are derived from "devil" and "hell" (one of them is straight up "Hell", or "Helvete"), so when you curse you actually condemn the forces of Evil.

That oughta make the Big Man happy
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

God Damn or God Damn It... is not taking the Lord's name in vain... stop spreading misinformation.

You are literally saying, "This thing (insert object of your rage) is pissing me off... God damn (send it to the eternal torment of Hell) it (this object of my rage)."

Sounds like a solemn prayer... not taking the Lord's name in vain.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    Just say "asshole" I mean if you believe in the god from the bible its pretty much the same thing. What person other than an asshole would make a man kill his own son as a test of faith?
    Yeah this isn't about religion. It's about habits and using offensive language and trying to change that habit.

Yeah I can relate it's a bad habit, but it's something I want to change.
    Good for you OP.

My wife has been trying to do the same for about a year with little success. So I dont have any great advice. But the fact that you are trying is good and a step in the right direction. Being conscious of it will, over time, reduce the frequency. You'll get there, and again, good for you for trying!

Quote Originally Posted by jinklos View Post
    Golly gee gosh darnit
    If "God damn" is a problem then maybe Golly Gee and Gosh are just the same problem.... http://blog.dictionary.com/golly-gosh-and-gee/

Quote Originally Posted by Calzaeth View Post
    Learn to swear in Norwegian. All our swear-words are derived from "devil" and "hell" (one of them is straight up "Hell", or "Helvete"), so when you curse you actually condemn the forces of Evil.

I unintentionally got into the habit of saying 'Asj' and 'Herregud' when with my ex. Still do, on occasion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calzaeth View Post

Yeah thanks nice idea but I don't want to change a word but still have the same meaning, I mean I still know it's wrong for me to say it.

Best way to solve this is grow up and realize words are only words.
    If you or people around you can't understand this, they aren't people you need to worry about.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV