Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question Do people in your country still wear traditional clothing?

I was wondering earlier today whether there are any countries left where people would still wear their traditional attire casually. Where I live, in Finland, people wear national clothes only when doing some performances etc. The only other moment I can think of where someone was doing this was on a graduation ceremony where an older woman was wearing a traditional dress, which looked really pretty. I think it's a shame that people have forgotten to wear their traditional garb nowadays, as this would help us keep our culture alive. Most traditional clothes are really beautiful, too. Or is this just some national-romanticist rambling?

So how's the situation in your country? How often do people wear traditional clothes? I would be interested to know if there are any places where people still wear their national dress on a daily basis.

15+ Year Old Account
    The only people I can think of that do are Mennonites.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tileyfa View Post
    The only people I can think of that do are Mennonites.
    Its the Amish as well, more so even since Mennonites still use modern amenities and can wear modern clothes.

Nope Crocs and spandex everywhere you look. I look forward to winter fashions where its a big thick coat and jeans.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

Deleted
    We still wear top hats and monocles in the UK.

Even the girls. And damn that's a sexy look.

Deleted
    Yes, in the less populated parts of austria there are people running around in traditional clothing. Not every day but they do on holidays.

Not so much in the bigger cities tho.

10+ Year Old Account
    No one is wearing traditional clothes, it's good and sad at the same time, good because most of Europe traditional clothes are fugly, you could wear them during Halloween, and sad because it's a peaceful way to promote your region's culture without being seen and acting like a white pride-tard

Only on special celebrations.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    No, women often wear pants.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Deleted
    I got some distant family members in Bavaria (Germany) that kinda look like this a few times a year

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Seja Victrix View Post
    We still wear top hats and monocles in the UK.

Even the girls. And damn that's a sexy look.
    That's not traditional attire here in the UK.

I like to wear a doublet with breeches and hose, a padded cod-piece and an embroidered silk shirt with frills, when I go negotiate for M&A deals.

Sometimes.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Absolutely, you see a lot of people wearing headdresses with totem icology depicted and the like.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

15+ Year Old Account
    Only on our constitution day, some performances (traditional music/dance), and some celebrations like christening/name giving, confirmation and stuff like that.

Majority of people have one for constitution day, looks nice.

Yes! Here in Qatar we wear our traditional clothes on a daily basis.
    Men wear a robe (usually white but comes in many different colors and designs) which is called a thobe. The headress is called a ghutra, and also comes in various colors and patterns, as well as many different ways to wear it:

I think they are really comfortable and stylish. Of course, most Qataris do have other more "modern" clothes in their closests as well, but 90% of the time it's a thobe.

As for women, I guess you could say their national dress is the abaya (which is in fact actually quite a modern thing and not even really originally from Qatar):

Under the abaya, women usually wear "modern" clothes.
    The actual traditional dress for women would be the djelabia, but nowadays it's pretty much only used for special occasions:

Last edited by Exception; 2015-09-20 at 04:56 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Only ultra-orthodox jews do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    ISIS or zionism both aim for the same thing

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes. Where I live people still wear their traditional tribal garb of blue-jeans and ed-hardy t-shirts.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    Only on our constitution day, some performances (traditional music/dance), and some celebrations like christening/name giving, confirmation and stuff like that.

Majority of people have one for constitution day, looks nice.
    Nordlands Bunad is the best looking though
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

Amish, some Mormons and Mennonites.

Holy crap! Our traditional garb includes a gun!

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland