Poll: MMO with the most fantastical feel

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Kao View Post
    Doesn't exactly make it better. Worn out standard fantasy theme still. I mean, come on - elves, dwarfs, trolls, ogres, orcs, wizards, warriors, forgettable black-and-white stories in a pseudo-medieval setting with tons of plot holes, that was kinda lame before the first LotR movie. Today I'd rather watch idol shows on TV which already feels something like a waterboarding session to me.
    Well that's entirely your opinion but I never said age made it better I was just pointing out a 10 years quote. Personally for me when I first played the RTS game in 2002 I thought it was awesome since I had just played Starcraft and thought "Oh another Blizzard RTS game lets give it a bash". Safe to say I was not disappointed.

I played most of the games you listed, and none of them managed to make me feel the way I did when i started playing WoW.
    I love the storytelling of SWTOR, but other aspects of the game were lame to me so I ended up just watching the story on youtube...
    Skyforge is the only game I really enjoyed recently (except Inquisition) so that's probably my next MMO if Legion fails.
    If you guys need a new MMO and Skyforge isn't your thing, GW2 is also a good game.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You specifically mentioned lore and presentation as parts of the package of the world and I have to say that there are some standouts.

WoW feels like it has jumped the shark, so I can't really agree that is has the same oomph that other games have.

Aesthetic and Game World: Guild Wars 2 and Wildstar, without a doubt. Two different spectrums, both very vivid and vibrant.

Lore/Narrative: SWTOR, TSW, FFXIV, TESO, and Wildstar. Wildstar is the weakest narrative, but has good lore. Doesn't seem as deep because this is the beginning of their lore compared to the other titles on here. TSW is the most involved story...it washes over the whole game and influences everything. SWTOR has the best storylines, followed closely by TESO and FFXIV.

Fwiw, Wildstar for all of its flaws is the only MMO world that has captured my imagination to a comparable degree as WoW used to. Other worlds still make me in awe of particular aspects, whether fancy sights or great design, but none of them capture all of the elements needed to make me enjoy all aspects of them. For ex, TSW is too dark for me to enjoy looking at for extended periods of time and evokes the 'wow that's so cool' more than 'wow I love being in this place'.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    I have only played Rift, WS, WoW, and Tera.

1. WoW - The feeling from downing a boss I've progressed on is awlays as rewarding, I love it. I want to include expansion starts too, but I dont know if it fits in on "current", daya before WOTLK release it started to snow here and me and my friends were so hyped on LK, they even camped outside the store for a few hours. DK starting area is quite literally the best momeny I had as a child, next to that would be when I killed Archi HC a week ago There is something amazing with WoW's expansion releases, WoD and LK are my fav so far despite the drawbacks..

2. WS - WildStar on release day was so fun I forgot about WoW for a week, and I had a pretty shit computer so I'm super excited to try it out again now that I got a great computer and it going F2P! I quit after a week because WoW friends came back.

3. Tera - Beautiful, but it didn't fit me. I enjoyed startzones and its art, but it felt so distant. Also has constant 200-300 ms..

4. Rift - Ruft has been my go-to MMORPG when I get sick of WoW and still wanna play mmo, but its start area was really meh. It was fun the first time and all, but Durotar for the 8000th time still beats it.

So on a scale 1 to 10, in WoW I have had the best feelings, memories, and all. 10/10, but if I purely count WoD at lvl 100 I'd say 5/10, not that I think it's a bad expansion, but it put me off with the orcs after Highmaul, the garrisons, and the "legendary" ring. WildStar while I played it was 9/10 :3. I didn't play enough Tera to put an opinion on it, but based on start area: 10/10, and based on my feelings to it: 5/10. Rift falls below Tera but I'd still play rift over tera.. Hard to explain.

WoW is my childhood, the good parts of my childhood, so even if I quit, I will always enjoy coming back.

Reminder: ^^^subjective/my opinions/my experiences^^^ <3
    im cool pls respodn

Quote Originally Posted by Krekal View Post

1. WoW - The feeling from downing a boss I've progressed on is awlays as rewarding, I love it. I want to include expansion starts too, but I dont know if it fits in on "current", daya before WOTLK release it started to snow here and me and my friends were so hyped on LK, they even camped outside the store for a few hours. DK starting area is quite literally the best momeny I had as a child, next to that would be when I killed Archi HC a week ago There is something amazing with WoW's expansion releases, WoD and LK are my fav so far despite the drawbacks..

2. WS - WildStar on release day was so fun I forgot about WoW for a week, and I had a pretty shit computer so I'm super excited to try it out again now that I got a great computer and it going F2P! I quit after a week because WoW friends came back.

3. Tera - Beautiful, but it didn't fit me. I enjoyed startzones and its art, but it felt so distant. Also has constant 200-300 ms..

4. Rift - Ruft has been my go-to MMORPG when I get sick of WoW and still wanna play mmo, but its start area was really meh. It was fun the first time and all, but Durotar for the 8000th time still beats it.

So on a scale 1 to 10, in WoW I have had the best feelings, memories, and all. 10/10, but if I purely count WoD at lvl 100 I'd say 5/10, not that I think it's a bad expansion, but it put me off with the orcs after Highmaul, the garrisons, and the "legendary" ring. WildStar while I played it was 9/10 :3. I didn't play enough Tera to put an opinion on it, but based on start area: 10/10, and based on my feelings to it: 5/10. Rift falls below Tera but I'd still play rift over tera.. Hard to explain.

WoW is my childhood, the good parts of my childhood, so even if I quit, I will always enjoy coming back.

Reminder: ^^^subjective/my opinions/my experiences^^^ <3
    Tbh I have the same feelings of when I started WoW. Age/growing up probably has stopped me from enjoying it a little but personally I feel the current state of the game has as well. Don't get me wrong it's an amazing game 9/10 for me but atm I just don't want to be playing it.

Of the MMO's that I've played there's only really been two MMO's that have served to keep me invested over a long period of time. Those two MMO's would be WoW and FFXIV. I've since given up on WoW entirely at this point but FFXIV is now my primary MMO due to boasting a very immersive game world and some pretty interesting lore.

The 'this is cool' factor has lasted the longest for me with FFXIV so far. I used to feel that way about WoW once - but that was back when the developers seemed genuinely invested in telling a good story and making the game world feel immersive and interesting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Tbh I have the same feelings of when I started WoW. Age/growing up probably has stopped me from enjoying it a little but personally I feel the current state of the game has as well. Don't get me wrong it's an amazing game 9/10 for me but atm I just don't want to be playing it.
    Yeah. I was going to write an "inb4 blizzfanboi" part but decided not to. I'll spill some more of what I feel about WoW, with a timeline just for fun.

Wall of text because I am bored.

Vanilla to TBC, 2006(7) age 12(13) I hadn't gotten a character over level 20, made over 30 alts, and the thing I remember most was christmas at my cousins and my older cousin farmed a trinket for hours, the one that made people dance. Third was when my dad made a blood elf and I was so amazed by the environment details. Oh and when I got killed by a cyan scorpion in thousand needles and I think I found a racing track on the saltlake. So cool.

2007(08):
    A few days before achievements came(Can't remember when), I was in Feralas at level 40~, and my dad told me DKs needed level 55, I grinded for weeks and I finally hit 56 the day before WOTLK came to store.

2008-2010 WOTLK: Dk starting area was amazing. Northrend was amazing, I remember getting the HoL axe, I felt so cool. Naxx Uld and all was nice but ICC was the best, I came all my way up to LK as a 15 year old, shouting "Whats that black goo everywhere!?!?" on Defile.

After wotlk: Cata zones were awesome, ZG/ZA was awesome, but I quit after that to start of MoP.

MoP release: It was kinda boring compared to the others. Quit between HoF to ToT. Timeless Isle, World Bosses, SoO, WPVP at Timeless, it was a lot of fun.

WoD release: I liked leveling in Spires of Arak, a lot. Not much else. Progressing heroic dungeons was superfun with IRL friends, Highmaul too, BrF was ok. HfC was great, but I bet with my old friends it would be much more fun to do. I love my new guild though.

I played when ever I had the opportunity, now since WoD release I only log in for raids or when I feel like leveling an alt. There is good content I havent done, but the urge I felt befkre to just do it all nonstop is now gone. I miss it.
    im cool pls respodn

The secret world hands down. The game has an amazing storyline and atmosphere.
    TSW is an amazing game with an amazing story, but it's presentation is lacking compared to SW:ToR specifically.

The thing about TSW that bothers me is the leveling through Kingsmouth and the difficulty spike as you get to Blue Mountains coupled with the fact that you are able to make an absolutely piece of shit, useless build that makes killing even one monster impossible, let alone the packs of 3+ you are normally exposed to in the 2nd and 3rd stages of Kingsmouth (I forget the second, but I know Blue Mountains is the third) I got to Blue Mountains and just got steamrolled and gave up honestly, totally disenchanted because I felt my last 30+ hours in the game up to that point had been wasted.

That said, if you pick and build a viable leveling build I'd imagine everything is amazing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I voted Rift, WoW and Final Fantasy XIV.

I have to admit Rift is probably the game that has had me the most enthralled and the most engaged. It was my baby for two years. World of Warcraft was my first proper mmorpg so it gets an honourable mention. My mind was reeling a lot when I first started playing it.

In recent times, after having gone through most mmorpgs out there, FFXIV is the game that has given me most of that "tingly" feeling back, the one that I had when I first discovered and fell in love with Telara and Azeroth.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    TSW is an amazing game with an amazing story, but it's presentation is lacking compared to SW:ToR specifically.

The thing about TSW that bothers me is the leveling through Kingsmouth and the difficulty spike as you get to Blue Mountains coupled with the fact that you are able to make an absolutely piece of shit, useless build that makes killing even one monster impossible, let alone the packs of 3+ you are normally exposed to in the 2nd and 3rd stages of Kingsmouth (I forget the second, but I know Blue Mountains is the third) I got to Blue Mountains and just got steamrolled and gave up honestly, totally disenchanted because I felt my last 30+ hours in the game up to that point had been wasted.

That said, if you pick and build a viable leveling build I'd imagine everything is amazing.
    If you thought Blue Mountain is hard ... yeah I've got nothing, maybe it was before? 1.12 which is supposed to have smoothed over some of the more glaring spikes in difficulty and I started after that so no idea. Or I really lucked out with build. Highly unlikely as I've met a sum total of 1 other player using similar in ~80 hours. Or I'm genius and discovered the holy grail of builds. Yeah I'll go with that

For me the difficulty curve felt very smooth all the way to Tokyo, when it does get a bit frustrating until you figure out AEGIS.

Coming from a long line of mmo's, right now FF14 is the one that I enjoy the most. I also really like the secret world and STO when I play them, the atmosphere is great.

Quote Originally Posted by jasontheking1234 View Post
    I don't care what anyone says Warcraft for life bitches. Ten years it gained 10 years it stays.

Actually....Ima have to say why.

GW2: Story is cool.....but sometimes boring. Art is amazing....but not if you have a potato computer. Music is great...but i never cared for it. Questing is cool.....Except if you are a guy who hates farm quest for food. 6/10 for me .

SWToR: Story is badass! Music is alright. Art is a meh....ish yah. Questing is amazing. So most likely 8.5/10

FF14: Story Is ok. Music kinda sucks sometimes for me though. Art style is amazing. And questing.....Not a big fan to be honest. But models and sounds of characters are either a tad too cartoonish or a tad to hentai. 6.8/10

Rift: Story: Nah. Art: Not a fan but hey it's been out a while so idk anymore. Music: Nah. Questing: Not a fan 4.2/10

Dc universe: Story: Fuck you i don't care about it at all. Art: fuck that as well. Music: Nope Questing: Meh 2.2/10

Wildstar: Story: started amazing but felt dull at the end. Music: Pretty nice. Art: cool....kind of. Questing: Alright i guess. 7.1/10

ESO Story: Alright but kinda generic. Art: BADASS!!! Music: Kinda cool. Questing: FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU!!!! 5.5/10

Everquest: next: Not out yet but right now 2.0/10

Tera: Story: nah. Music: nice. Art: YES!! Questing: Dull 4.5/10

LoTR Online: Story: nah. Art: Nope. music: NOPE. Questing: I don't care. 1.5/10

Now time for the BIG DADDY!!!

World of Warcraft: Story: Hell Yah. Art: Fuck yes. Music: WOOHOO. Questing: YEP Pvp: Kinda. Raids/dungeons: FUCKING HELL YES. Expansion sets: TBC: 8/10 WoTLK 9/10 Cata 7.5/10 (you heard me) MoP 8.5/10 WoD 4.4/10 (it sucks) Legion......wait isn't this the Legion invasion on azeroth that i was waiting for 10 damn years....demon hunters....emerald nightmare HELL YAHHHHHHH. 9.5/10 (for now).
    Your candor is incredible, you had me rofl, like the enthusiasm despite the x-rated language, especially the ESO description, was the questing THAT bad? SwTOR low on art? I thought their sets were quite incredible, except for interiors which had too much of a same feeling, but then that might just be the star wars universe, they got a lot more creative after level 50, but the outdoor zones were stunning. - how old are you may I ask and where are you from?

If I'd guess: Male, Denmark/Holland if Europe /East Coast (boston? if US?), 21 or 25?

GW2 - probably has one of the most amazing monster art, but atmosphere set by WoW, SWTOR and FFXIV still trumps it I feel, but that's personal opinion

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Kao View Post
    Doesn't exactly make it better. Worn out standard fantasy theme still. I mean, come on - elves, dwarfs, trolls, ogres, orcs, wizards, warriors, forgettable black-and-white stories in a pseudo-medieval setting with tons of plot holes, that was kinda lame before the first LotR movie. Today I'd rather watch idol shows on TV which already feels something like a waterboarding session to me.
    wow, that's a bit harsh dyt?
    Last edited by ravenmoon; 2015-09-25 at 01:49 PM.

World of Warcraft, hands down all the way. They have problems (caused by developers) but the lore, art style, world and feel of the game in terms of gameplay (controls for example) tops them all to me, and I've played them all.

ArcheAge came close second, I LOVE the mounts and the farm system in that game but alas...forced PVP = I'm out sooner or later after having been ganked enough times. Love the sound effects and music of the game!

Guild Wars 2 has an amazing feel to it as well thanks to gameplay and art style, but the lack of mounts and endgame meant I reached max level (was a wonderful journey) but then I had nothing to stick around for and strive towards.

Quote Originally Posted by Krekal View Post

2. WS - WildStar on release day was so fun I forgot about WoW for a week, and I had a pretty shit computer so I'm super excited to try it out again now that I got a
    When I first started WoW I was around 12. I vividly recall me and 2 friends going through Westfall, doing all the quests and going along the Long Shore, searching for the treasure in that wrecked ship.

Then we switched to Duskwood which to a 12 year old was legit scary. The music, the glowing eyes in the bushes, Raven Hill cemetery, Mor'ladim. Then one day we are on the road and hear '' Something wicked this way comes! '' yelled by an NPC. In an instant a giant, elite abomination catches us on the road and kills us all. First time we met Stitches.

Another great moment was digging up Eliza, the hermit's wife. The whole story is creepy as fuck, he carved out his own heart and gave it to her.

There's also Jitters and his journal where he details the Dark Riders killing Sven's family.

Just writing about this gives me massive nostalgia. WoW's been the game of my life and nothing will ever compare to it.