Questions from a wow raider

I'm downloading the game now and intend on leveling to get an idea of it, however, I've been really curious about a couple things and was hoping you guys could help clarify:

1. Dps ranking/Warcraft logs/etc: a big part of Wow for me (personally) is checking my ranking on fights - so both skada and warcraft logs are key. Is there such a thing in FFXIV?

2. Realm ranks: another fun I have with wow is guild competitiveness for mythic progression, is there a wowprogress by realm kinda site equivalent in FFXIV? Is there the a concept of mythic raiding? (i.e. hardmode or w/e you call it)

Thanks!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by land View Post
    I'm downloading the game now and intend on leveling to get an idea of it, however, I've been really curious about a couple things and was hoping you guys could help clarify:

1. Dps ranking/Warcraft logs/etc: a big part of Wow for me (personally) is checking my ranking on fights - so both skada and warcraft logs are key. Is there such a thing in FFXIV?

2. Realm ranks: another fun I have with wow is guild competitiveness for mythic progression, is there a wowprogress by realm kinda site equivalent in FFXIV? Is there the a concept of mythic raiding? (i.e. hardmode or w/e you call it)

Thanks!
    on Question one. No mods/addons, don't exsist for FF14

on question two, there is no real competition in FF14, Most end game raiding is not done by guilds/free company's but rather by "static" which is what you can call a pug group but it's a pug group that keep working together even at other times. and the concept for mythic raiding is called Savage for the 8 man raids and the 24 man raids only have one type of mode.

No Tusk Club.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Well, yes and no. There's no real in-game addons, but third party DPS meters do exist and there is a FFXIV Logs site (in development?)
    Sorry for sounding stupid here but I thought dps meters etc weren't allowed in ff14 at all or am I misreading?

Sorry for sounding stupid here but I thought dps meters etc weren't allowed in ff14 at all or am I misreading?
    Mods are not allowed (or even possible as far as I'm aware). The DPS meters that are used is a parsing program, not a mod. There is kind of a "don't ask, don't tell" kind of relationship with the DPS meters in FFXIV. Since they don't do anything malicious or affect gameplay at all Square doesn't really care if you use them (and honestly can't even tell since it's external to the program) so long as you don't talk about it in game and use the information to grief people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not to try to dissuade you but, I played FF14 for a month then quit. I got to level 60, and then learned that the gear progression is basically farm two (Yes, TWO) expert dungeons for 160 gear to get badges for 170 gear, then do the raid. That's it, there isn't much else to do. There are Roulettes for old dungeons but all it gets you is badges, and you need to do them all to even unlock the roulette to get the badges, it felt incredibly tedious.

As for your questions, I never encountered anyone talking about dmg meters but they do exist, and as long as there's multiple groups there will be some kind of competition, but I don't know about any sites.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    It's don't ask don't tell

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhands View Post
    Not to try to dissuade you but, I played FF14 for a month then quit. I got to level 60, and then learned that the gear progression is basically farm two (Yes, TWO) expert dungeons for 160 gear to get badges for 170 gear, then do the raid. That's it, there isn't much else to do. There are Roulettes for old dungeons but all it gets you is badges, and you need to do them all to even unlock the roulette to get the badges, it felt incredibly tedious.

As for your questions, I never encountered anyone talking about dmg meters but they do exist, and as long as there's multiple groups there will be some kind of competition, but I don't know about any sites.
    Wellll there IS other stuff to do such as level alt classes some pvp do the old story quests

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Well, yes and no. There's no real in-game addons, but third party DPS meters do exist and there is a FFXIV Logs site (in development?)
    Yeah but 3rd party, ram sniffing parsers are way to inaccurate if he is interested in rankings and stuff.
    At best they can be used for a rough performance estimate.

Until SE supports DPS parsing officially, he will not find what he seeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Wellll there IS other stuff to do such as level alt classes some pvp do the old story quests

Nothing that will satisfy the WoW raider type though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, bosses and raid environments actually look much better (more/better overall animation and details) than WoW's IMO. This game's versions of LFR is on par with normal mode (plus) in WoW and then some (sometimes). Don't know about savage mode vs mythic though as I only touched 5 mythic bosses in WoW and only nerfed content in this game.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

I haven't gotten to endgame yet but doing trials while leveling and I actually find it harder than WoW, mainly because WoW spoiled me with things like DBM telling you every single mechanic/ability coming up.

The boss fights just look so great though as Turbotef said above. All the colors and animations, so beautiful. It really does feel like a Final Fantasy MMO.

Also might be worth nothing there is no PTR, so raids are even footing for everyone the day it patches.

That said, if you're a raid, raid, and only raid focused WoW player, I'm not sure FFXIV will really interest you. Particularly if you're wanting all the tools typically associated with e-peen among certain types, whether you're using it only for personal evaluation or not.

Though I have to say, I honestly think the lack of these addons and mods are what contributes to the generally better praised community.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhands View Post
    160 gear -> 170 gear -> 180 gear -> 190 gear -> 200 gear -> 210 gear.

If you stopped at 170 or the normal version of the raid, you didn't do a good chunk of the level 60 content.
    disco inferno

FFlogs does exist and does work. The owner (same person who owns warcraftlogs is continually updating it). ACT is the standard parsing program and it is very effective (and pretty if you use rainbowmage overlay). It is a don't ask don't tell policy, but I've called people out on their dps before politely, with no negative consequences.

There is no wowprogress to the best of my knowledge. The best you'll find amongst servers are generally posts on the official forums detailing what progression groups who sign up are at.

Savage raiding is comparable to Mythic raiding in my opinion (my only experience in both games is as a melee DPS) and I'd honestly probably argue it's harder. On one hand you only have to worry about 7 derps instead of 19 which would imply it would be easier, except that if anyone one derp fails a mechanic it pretty much wipes the entire party. In WoW if a derp messes up it typically only gets him killed, and he's back up with full resources instantly (via BR). In FF14, if you get BRsd, you not only have a 6 second delay due to animation, but you come up with absolutely no resources and 15-30% reduced attributes for a period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Yeah but 3rd party, ram sniffing parsers are way to inaccurate if he is interested in rankings and stuff.At best they can be used for a rough performance estimate. Until SE supports DPS parsing officially, he will not find what he seeks. Nothing that will satisfy the WoW raider type though.
    Inaccurate maybe, but how exactly are you quantifying its accuracy? Have you physically done the math to determine its accuracy? If everyone is using the same program to quantify their DPS there is an obvious standard so ultimately the numbers themselves don't actually matter, but the % change between players do. Whether the number reads, as you say "inaccurately" at 1300dps or 1700dps, the thing that matters is the % change against the competition, not the actual value.

The only variable in ACT is encounter length, the downtime between fights where it will either keep rolling, thus reducing dps, or stop the fight and begin a new one, then merge which results in typically higher values.

The universally used setting for the raiding community is 30 seconds unmerged to ensure accurate analysis among peers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    Inaccurate maybe, but how exactly are you quantifying its accuracy? Have you physically done the math to determine its accuracy? If everyone is using the same program to quantify their DPS there is an obvious standard so ultimately the numbers themselves don't actually matter, but the % change between players do. Whether the number reads, as you say "inaccurately" at 1300dps or 1700dps, the thing that matters is the % change against the competition, not the actual value.

The only variable in ACT is encounter length, the downtime between fights where it will either keep rolling, thus reducing dps, or stop the fight and begin a new one, then merge which results in typically higher values.

The universally used setting for the raiding community is 30 seconds unmerged to ensure accurate analysis among peers.
    I read somewhere that Parsers have problems attributing DoT damage to the correct targets.
    If that is so, they are borderline useless for classes that rely on DoTs.

You saying that only the deltas are interesting automatically assumes that the parser always does the same error everytime.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala
    I read somewhere that Parsers have problems attributing DoT damage to the correct targets.
    If that is so, they are borderline useless for classes that rely on DoTs.
    The game does send you some DoT information, enough that simulations can get very close to the correct values. The amount done by DoT ticks is communicated every 3 seconds as a total, so it's just a matter of splitting up that damage among players.

The game does actually communicate both the low byte value of a DoT or HoT's expected tick amount along with the low byte value representing the player's crit chance. You can then run an analysis of how hard hitting the player's other attacks are in order to figure out the full expected tick amount and correct crit chance. From there, you can allocate the damage appropriately and get pretty good results for DoTs and HoTs.

Unlike WoW you don't have a lot of randomness/variance in damage numbers. There aren't trinkets or set bonuses or big RNG abilities that can swing your #s wildly, so you can get pretty good estimates.
    Creator of Warcraft Logs, Blood Death Knight in Temerity

Deleted
    http://www.fflogs.com/rankings/7#boss=18

People havent linked this yet? Surprised lol, rankings are very much a thing. While now allowed by the ToS..you probably won't get banned for using it, unless you are using it for been a complete dick in dungeon finder. (A lot of the top FFXIV streamers openly stream with the dps client active, and while not an indication you won't get banned for it, a ton of people do and yet to hear anyone banned for using it quietly).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kihra View Post
    Unlike WoW you don't have a lot of randomness/variance in damage numbers. There aren't trinkets or set bonuses or big RNG abilities that can swing your #s wildly, so you can get pretty good estimates.
    True, the whole proc / trinket madness seems to be much less of an issue.