Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How much does an acre of land cost where you live?

The only stipulation to this question is that it needs to be land that can be fairly easily developed for a home.

I was reading International Living Magazine, and they had an article about how you can buy an acres of land in Ecuador for $3000 that are close to the beach, and able to be developed. They then went on to say "Versus $6000 or more dollars an acre in the US."

Now, I own some land in Arkansas, and it only cost me $1500 an acre, but it was bought a very long time ago, and they are just now starting to put roads in the area. Until last year there were just gravel paths, and no electricity. I imagine I could sell for $5000 - $10,000 an acre by now.

That said, the $6000 number made me laugh. I live 25 west of Philadelphia, and if you can even find an acre of land, it is $125,000 for an acre. We're in almost a rural area... Still suburbs, but if you go another few miles away, I would call it rural.

What would an acre of land, that can be easily developed, cost where you live?

Look for SINGLE ACRE PRICES.... land becomes much cheaper when bought in larger parcels.
    Last edited by GarlicGuy; 2015-09-22 at 07:09 PM.

around columbus ohio it can fluctuate a lot. i've seen prices all over the place. 80k for 5 acres, or 30k for 10.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lets see, quick search shows a nearby 13.66 acre lot for $795,000USD. So by the power of math, we can determine that it's around $58,199 an acer.

But this is one of the most expensive counties in the country. Found another listing for $375,000USD for just 1.14 acres with residential zoning...
    Last edited by Kujako; 2015-09-22 at 07:10 PM.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Ornerybear View Post
    around columbus ohio it can fluctuate a lot. i've seen prices all over the place. 80k for 5 acres, or 30k for 10.
    Yes, well, land gets much cheaper when bought in larger lots. That is why I said "an acre".

Deleted
    10 million sterling if you are lucky. LDN yo.

paid 490k for an acre, but that included the house.

A quick look at lots on MLS here in Calgary.

Inner city, less than an acre will go for as much as $600,000+. But at least you get fully city utilities access then.

Just outside the city, in a pretty luxury region is about $225,000-250,000 per acre.

If you want to get right out of the city the prices vary based on a ton of factors, such as proximity to the city/highway etc and ofc the views. But it can be as low as $60,000/acre up to $300,000.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Dumb question as its completely based on each specific plot of land no place is like the next they are unique commodities.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by GarlicGuy View Post
    Yes, well, land gets much cheaper when bought in larger lots. That is why I said "an acre".
    Acreage value isn't as dependant on how much is in the plot as the quality of the plot of land and its location. i can have two 1 acre lots next to one another and have wildly different values based on whats on them.

FFS I bothered to look up my county, and found a 1.2 acre lot for 135k, and a 10acre lot for 10k

it's really silly to ask for cost per single acre in specific areas. it fluctuates drastically.

Where I lived (outer Chicago suburbs) last I checked an acre was about $40K, zoned residential. Farmland is cheaper.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

It really depends on location and what the lot is zoned as (residential, commercial, recreational) as well as if it is off grid or not...whether well water is available...if the land is appropriate for building...etc.

I've seen acreage as low as $1k, and as expensive as $120k.

The price in Sweden varies whereas the southern parts is way more expensive.

(prices are estimates)
    In the south: 25 000 USD
    In the north: 900 USD

The price goes up with better soil.
    Well met!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iem View Post
    Man even if Blizzard gave players bars of gold, they would complain that they were too heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ornerybear View Post
    Acreage value isn't as dependant on how much is in the plot as the quality of the plot of land and its location. i can have two 1 acre lots next to one another and have wildly different values based on whats on them.

FFS I bothered to look up my county, and found a 1.2 acre lot for 135k, and a 10acre lot for 10k

it's really silly to ask for cost per single acre in specific areas. it fluctuates drastically.

Yes and no. when I bought my land, the quality of land was all about the same. But I could have bought more land for $1000 an acre if I had had more money. But I could only afford 10 acres.

Around here? About $30K. There's nothing on it and likely nothing for miles around.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    prices vary too much for where i live. some parcels are about $180k and others are $2m
    Last edited by masterhorus8; 2015-09-22 at 11:03 PM. Reason: did more research

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    In Socorro proper: 1.01 Acres - Socorro, Socorro County, New Mexico - $600,000
    In outlying areas: 1 Acre - Lemitar, Socorro County, New Mexico - $175,000
    In really, really far places in the middle of nowhere: 1 Acre - Veguita, Socorro County, New Mexico - $1,150

Heh. That last one is like 25min from any major interstate, and doesn't have utilities ran to it. Pretty close to the Rio Grande, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    In Brooklyn ( at least in my area ) 1 acre will run you between $7.3-$63.6 million in Manhattan those prices can reach over a half billion dollars. This is also assuming you can actually buy one acre of land :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown
    "The world is a magical place full of people waiting to be offended by something"
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertrand Russell
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time"

S Kidman and Co recently put their land on the market for ~$0.084 per Acre, 27 million acres of it.
    I challenge anyone to find cheaper land than that!

10+ Year Old Account
    My brother and I bought around 350 acres, if I broke then down I think we paid around 11,000 per acre...

There is no actual land available where I live..

But an acre of land is 43,560 sq ft. The average cost per sq ft of property (apt/condo) here is $1,416 according to Trulia. So that would make an acre $61.6 million.. Seems affordable...

This is Manhattan.
    Last edited by DrStiglit; 2015-09-23 at 12:08 AM.