Thread: Undertale

Page 1 of 14
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Undertale

So I recently played this indie game called undertale and was completely blown away on how great and deep it was I dont know if others have played it yet but the battle system is great fun.
    So if you like Earthbound you owe it to yourself to play this game.

but dont take my word for it Jim Sterling made a whole review about it bieng the contender for best game of 2015

http://www.thejimquisition.com/2015/...rmined-effort/
    Last edited by Karamaru; 2015-09-26 at 12:19 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    11/10 best skeleton dating sim ever.

And while i doubt it will be massive contender for best game of 2015 with Fallout 4, Witcher 3 and many others, it is definately a must play. You gonna have a great time playing it. Or maybe you gonna have a bad time. And get dunked on.

Depending on how you play it its, either a most heartwarming adventure with loveable characters, or "this escalated quickly" simulator 2015.
    Last edited by Arrashi; 2015-09-28 at 07:16 PM.

Was about to make a thread on this, but decided to look for one instead :P

I just finished it and I honestly feel like it's one of the best RPGs I've ever played or even seen. Ever. There's a perfect mix of hilarious dialogue, engaging gameplay, twist and turning story elements that keep you surprised until literally the last cutscene, and just an absolutely fantastic sound track.

I expect Fallout 4 will make my list for possible Games of the Year for 2015, but until that comes out and proves itself, Undertale easily is my GotY.

I cried like a goddamn baby several times in several of the endings (Yes there are multiple endings, very different ones at that).

And it's only $10. For a game that is relatively short (~6-7 hours if you go for multiple endings---and trust me, you will), that's an absolutely PHENOMENAL experience. You spend 10 bucks to go to the movie, when you could and should spend it on a game that is not only amazing, but is also 2-3x longer than most movies.
    Last edited by KrazyK923; 2015-10-13 at 11:50 AM.

Been playing this game a bit here and there. Pretty darn good.

<3

At first when I decided to check the game, I thought "damn, I just wasted 10euros on this". Then a bit later I found myself playing it and I didn't want to stop. At the end I wanted to play it trough again without killing anyone because I felt bad about some of the characters. :I

10+ Year Old Account
    I bought a copy for a friend but not for myself. Odd that.....
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

I watched a stream of it being played (saw the ending) so I probably won't pick it up now but holy shit was it good.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Been having a bad time on the evil route final boss for quite a while now.

Tip though for people starting. I've been told the best way to experience it is doing a pacifist run first then replaying the game as an evil run.

:I

I don't think I can do the evil run. Too much feels. :P

Seriously... on the first playtrough I accidentally killed Toriel . I didn't mean to!
    She was so kind!

I thought maybe it had just been made to look like she died and she was actually alive. I tried sometimes call her cellphone. No one answered...

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Tip though for people starting. I've been told the best way to experience it is doing a pacifist run first then replaying the game as an evil run.
    You should do it in reverse so you get worst ending possible.

Also - leaked footage of new game +
    Last edited by Arrashi; 2015-10-13 at 06:42 PM.

Putting in spoilers because personally even, if i'm not saying much, I view what I'm asking a serious spoiler. People would know to expect something regarding the end.

Isn't there a way to save absolutely *EVERYONE*. I mean how to get GOOD ending for EVERYONE and I mean EVERYONE.

I thought I got this done with pacifist run, but I still feel like it didn't go right for everyone. Someone was left out of the nice ending.

Is there a way to play this trough third time so that knowing what I know now that even this slight error can be corrected.

The Pacifist run saves literally everybody except Asriel, whose fate is a bit more nebulous. If you walk all the way back to where you first encounter Flowey after beating Asriel, he's there and talks about how he doesn't want to go back and break his parent's hearts. Other than that, literally everyone else gets the happy endings.

It should be noted you cannot get the true Pacifist/good ending until you beat the game one time. If you don't kill anyone this first time round, after you beat Flowey's craziness, you are given the option to reload to the final save point and then go back and do the other quests that were locked off to you. Like hooking up Undyne and Alphys, and then visiting the True Lab.

The way to know if you have the true Pacifist ending is after you do all the side quests and are taken to Castle in the elevator in a cutscene, the way back is blocked off by vines. Preventing you from going back anymore. This signals that you've unlocked the true pacifist ending.
    Last edited by KrazyK923; 2015-10-14 at 01:38 PM.

It is indeed him I'd still like to save properly.
    Last edited by Morae; 2015-10-14 at 01:43 PM.

This game has loads of style and charm. Definitely worth playing through.

Eventhough I already know the ending (thanks to watching my favorite streamer) I don't know the rest of the game nor the genocide path. So I'll probably actually pick this up eventually. First I need to finish earthbound though.

Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post
    It is indeed him I'd still like to save properly.
    There's nothing more you can do beyond the pacifist ending. He doesn't get a particularly bad ending, his is just more nebulous while everyone else is pretty unequivocally positive. (Asgore not withstanding due to him unable to repair his relationship with Toriel )

I'm on my genocide run. My progress in this game has turned into how many attacks I can get off on Sans before dying and trying again. I'm sure this was the intent.

Game is brilliant and offers a critique of both modern game design AND how players consume games in general. Games are unique storytelling devices in that they're not strictly linear, but still have limits with regards to content. If we love the game enough, we scour it for all the content we can. In a way, we have zero consideration for the characters in the game and their personal growth, because we're aware they're not real, even though we love the characters and the game BECAUSE they give us a real emotional response. Flowey is an example of an NPC becoming self-aware of the gamification of the whole world and how unnatural it is to manipulate its contents over and over in order to preserve a relationship with the game. As the game says, sometimes you have to know when to stop playing.
    Last edited by Pundit; 2015-10-14 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    There's nothing more you can do beyond the pacifist ending. He doesn't get a particularly bad ending, his is just more nebulous while everyone else is pretty unequivocally positive. (Asgore not withstanding due to him unable to repair his relationship with Toriel )
    But the guy is a child! Its not his fault he was revived in a body that had no soul. He became evil only because he could not feel stuff like happines, mercy, ect. and now we are supposed to leave him alone in that body (even if he for now seems to have a soul) regretting everything he did . It doesn't seem right to me. There has to be a way!!

Flowey got the souls, now he keeps killing me and closing the game. Bastard.
    "These so called speed humps are a joke. If anything, they slow you down. "