Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slybak View Post
    All true, but this doesn't change the fact that "Latinos, particularly Catholic Latinos, are a natural conservative constituency" is a myth. And a pretty dangerous one for white conservatives to cling to, if the last two Presidential elections and polling on the upcoming election are any indicator.

Food for thought: You know which minority group was the most conservative in the 2000 election? American Muslims. As many as seven in ten voted for George W. Bush. In 2008, more than eight in ten voted for Barack Obama.

"Don't shit where you eat" is as true in politics as it is almost everywhere else.
    Meh, Muslims are maybe 1% of the population.

I wasn't saying Latinos are a natural conservative constituency right now, but if the country's center slides a bit to the left each decade it means some people will find themselves right of center who were previously left of center. I would argue that those people are more likely to be latinos then say African Americans. It has to be someone, there is always a median.
    Last edited by PC2; 2015-09-28 at 02:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    I know in Texas, many latinos would like to go Republican. They dont, because many feel alienated by the Tea Party branch and feel their race is held against them. Latino Republican organizers essentially confirm this in the state.
    The same was essential true for American Muslims. The Bush campaign waged an impressive effort to reach out to the American Muslim community in 2000, and it paid off. Then, after 9/11, you had county and state legislators imposing idiotic bans on Sharia Law, and conservatives from the rank-and-file all the way up to sitting Congressmen questioning the basic loyalty of American Muslims. In fairness to Bush himself he didn't engage in this kind of behavior, and on several occasions inveighed against it. Didn't work.

You can't expect people to vote for you if you treat them like an enemy, or consider them too stupid to know their own interests.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Meh, Muslims are maybe 1% of the population.
    "We only care about you if you're group is big enough to help us win" may be a practical statement, but its not one that any politician with at least a lick of sense should utter within the range of an active microphone.

I wasn't saying Latinos are a natural conservative constituency right now, but if the country's center slides a bit to the left each decade it means some people will find themselves right of center who were previously left of center. I would argue that those people are more likely to be latinos then say African Americans. It has to be someone, there is always a median.
    That center would have to slide pretty far, at least on issues that Latinos as a political constituency care about. And the GOP shows no sign of allowing such a slide to take place.

Considering that the immediate concern for Republican politicians is always to win Republican primaries, and Republican primaries are absolutely dominated by white people, those politicians are not exactly acting counter to their own, individual self-interest by at best ignoring Latino voters and at worst rousing anti-Latino sentiment. But placing that self-interest ahead of the viability of the GOP as a party that can win national elections isn't particularly wise in the long run.
    Last edited by Slybak; 2015-09-28 at 03:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadiru View Post
    It's a problem for social conservatives that Catholic Latinos, the most socially conservative demographic on the planet, are growing in number in the USA?
    Catholic Latinos are a growing group, but its a mistake to assume that means they'll be a lock for the GOP.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Catholic Latinos are a growing group, but its a mistake to assume that means they'll be a lock for the GOP.
    Like I said earlier, there is always a median, so if white people make up a smaller percentage of the population, some group will naturally start leaning right of center. If its not latinos it will probably be Asians.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilla Blomma View Post
    Your post seems more like attributing political opinions to skin color. If they don't have x opinions, then they're "uncle toms" or "voting against their interests" when you don't even know their opinions in the first place. This shit happens so often in Sweden that it's not even funny, if you're an immigrant and not white and not left-wing, you're the most horrible person in the world. In USA it's like, if you're not white and not left-wing, you're horrible, keks.
    Does the left of Sweden hurl insulting diatribes (like what you can see in this very forum) against people who dare to point that?

Because here in America it's the default response.

Here in America its the pointing put of racial manipulation that makes you a racist, not the manipulation itself.

MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

Like I said earlier, there is always a median, so if white people make up a smaller percentage of the population, some group will naturally start leaning right of center. If its not latinos it will probably be Asians.
    If white people make up a smaller percentage of the American population, its far more likely that that basic foundation of American conservationism will change than that non-whites will wholly adopt the conservatism of white people. Population demographics aren't static, yes, but ideologies are even less so.

The conservatism of Millennials is, by every analysis I've seen, different from the conservatism of older generations. This is not because Millennials are younger, but because, as a generation, Millennials are less white as an age group. There will always be a political left and right so long as human societies are inclined to adopt some kind of social hierarchy, but what constitutes "the left" and what constitutes "the right" will change based on what that hierarchy entails, and so will the argumentation and strategies used to attack and defend it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    Does the left of Sweden hurl insulting diatribes (like what you can see in this very forum) against people who dare to point that?

Because here in America it's the default response.

Here in America its the pointing put of racial manipulation that makes you a racist, not the manipulation itself.

I'd hate to break it to you, but the reason why black people vote overwhelmingly for Democrats is not because Democrats "give them free stuff" (like voting rights and legal protection from housing and job discrimination), but because black people know that they do less well as a group when white conservatives are in charge. Proof? The full weight of American history.

It's not them, and its not white liberals, it's you.

And telling them that you know what's in their interest more than they do is not the best way to secure a political constituency. Just ask poor white evangelicals, who vote Republican in large part because white leftists think they know what's in their interest. Stop treating black people like idiots, take their political demands seriously, and you won't see 95% of them voting for Democrats.

7+ Year Old Account
    If white people make up a smaller percentage of the American population, its far more likely that that basic foundation of American conservationism will change than that non-whites will wholly adopt the conservatism of white people. Population demographics aren't static, yes, but ideologies are even less so.
    I agree the social issues part will change. Gay marriage is a good example, most young conservatives don't see it as a problem. Economics however is heavily effected by globalism and that part will remain a battleground between the right and left.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    The left expresses a great deal of hatrid towards religion and religious people then has to turn face Hispanics who are strongly religious.

What's the message there?

Is it "oh don't worry we only mean White religious people"?

Or is it "something something illegal immigration!"?

Or is it "hey look over here, free stuff"?

You tell me, I want to know.

How does the left manage to achieve or in the least claim ownership of the "Brown vote".

Are we to assume that Hispanics don't care that the people they vote for hate them so long as they're getting something in return?
    MAGA

I would trade hispanic immigrants 2:1 with syrian refugees

The left gets the anti racist vote by you having racists running for office.

but because black people know that they do less well as a group when white conservatives are in charge.
    Yeeeaaa.

All that record breaking Black unemployment, Black crime, Black drug use, Black mortality, Black incarceration, the drop in Black home ownership, in Black college graduates, in Black business owners, etc, and so on.

All of that occurred in the past 6+ years where a ...White ...Conservative ...Republican has been in office.

Yea.
    MAGA

Deleted
    All that record breaking Black unemployment, Black crime, Black drug use, Black mortality, Black incarceration, the drop in Black home ownership, in Black college graduates, in Black business owners, etc, and so on.
    I'm thinking all this might need some backing up with some sources.

The left expresses a great deal of hatrid towards religion and religious people then has to turn face Hispanics who are strongly religious.

Is it "oh don't worry we only mean White religious people"?

Or is it "something something illegal immigration!"?

Or is it "hey look over here, free stuff"?

You tell me, I want to know.

How does the left manage to achieve or in the least claim ownership of the "Brown vote".

Are we to assume that Hispanics don't care that the people they vote for hate them so long as they're getting something in return?
    No, they don't hate religion. They hate fanatics that try to force their religion on others.

It doesn't. The "brown vote" has interests fit better within a left coalition than they do with a right coalition, and they know it. White leftists, at least the ones interested in maintaining that coalition, address their concerns and treat them like adults, not like children who don't know whats good for them. That's the way political alliances are built and maintained.

The reason why white conservatives can't form a coalition with the majority of blacks and latinos is because white conservatism is, as presently constituted, incompatible with the political interests of the majority of blacks and latinos. It's the same reason why white evangelicals vote within a conservative coalition; it's in their interest to do so, as defined by their political preferences. And every smug white leftist who pontificates about how white evangelicals are stupid for voting Republican proves it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    I'm thinking all this might need some backing up with some sources.
    http://www.blackpressusa.com/is-blac....amPHfbJ9.dpbs
    MAGA

7+ Year Old Account
    It doesn't. The "brown vote" has interests fit better within a left coalition than they do with a right coalition, and they know it. White leftists, at least the ones interested in maintaining that coalition, address their concerns and treat them like adults, not like children who don't know whats good for them. That's the way political alliances are built and maintained.

The reason why white conservatives can't form a coalition with the majority of blacks and latinos is because white conservatism is, as presently constituted, incompatible with the political interests of the majority of blacks and latinos. It's the same reason why white evangelicals vote within a conservative coalition; it's in their interest to do so, as defined by their political preferences. And every smug white leftist who pontificates about how white evangelicals are stupid for voting Republican proves it.
    So Democrats teach all brown people that they have to vote for them and you get Obama then Hillary. It will work until it doesn't work and then society shifts the other way.

Quote Originally Posted by timberx View Post
    No, they don't hate religion. They hate fanatics that try to force their religion on others.
    Ehhhh ....but then to be fair the caveat to that statement would have to be "unless the religion is Islam".
    MAGA

All true, but this doesn't change the fact that "Latinos, particularly Catholic Latinos, are a natural conservative constituency" is a myth. And a pretty dangerous one for white conservatives to cling to, if the last two Presidential elections and polling on the upcoming election are any indicator.

Food for thought: You know which minority group was the most conservative in the 2000 election? American Muslims. As many as seven in ten voted for George W. Bush. Twice the rate of Latinos. Hell, those are white people numbers for Republicans. Eight years later, more than eight in ten voted for Barack Obama
    That's just the cost of doing business though. Every time a president makes a hard choice, he will upset a demographic. This happens to every president. Some people who voted for Obama turned republican once he signed Obamacare. Its why it is very difficult for one party to win the white house more than 3 times in a row. After 12 years, that party has had to make so many executive decisions that they have upset too many demographics to win a 4th term.

Deleted
    So basically things are much better off than they would've been if Bush had continued for another 8 years. I mean, Obama isn't a miracle worker. He's done a great job cleaning up the utter mess he inherited from the monkey that was PotUS before him.

So Democrats teach all brown people that they have to vote for them and you get Obama then Hillary. It will work until it doesn't work and then society shifts the other way.
    Look, I don't know how to explain this any other way, but I'll go with this.

White leftists are not geniuses of political manipulation to the extent that they can convince 95% of a group of people, numbering in the millions, to vote against their own interests. Democrats don't teach brown people anything. Democrats are brown people.

To add to what Timberx said, the vast majority of us are only antagonistic towards religion when they try and inject it where it doesn't belong. Intelligent design in schools, forcing their conception of gay marriage on everyone, etc.

I don't care if you want to be religious. Knock your socks off. But leave that stuff at home and at church, man. And if you want to argue that some Christians will have to be forced to do business that conflicts with their religion, then I'll counter that those people should study their own religion some more. Jesus is not going to condemn you to hell for baking a cake or signing a license.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?