Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakia View Post
    You are never, EVER, EVER going to get equal treatment. Stop thinking of a Utopia.
    I'm not arguing for that. I'm observing that incomes are objectively not equal, and coming to the necessary conclusion that the equitable approach to taxing that income is necessarily a progressive model, as a flat tax model inherently punishes those who do not have enough income to maintain themselves. This has nothing to do with bringing about true income equality. That's just a straw man you're dredging up, to dodge the issue.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    And capital gains needs to be taxed as regular income.
    I disagree with you on that entirely, but okay.

I disagree with you on that entirely, but okay.
    Then how would you do it? As currently they manage to exploit it to get income at lower tax rates than other forms of income?

I know its original intent, but I am looking at how it is getting used NOW.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilla Blomma View Post
    ... I never said they were. I was using that to demonstrate how it punishes the one who has less.
    Its interesting because I see it as being 10x more 'punishing' to the person who had 100 apples.

But I guess its all about perspective

Edit - fuck me. I didn't see this was 20+ pages. Ignore this, lol.

A flat tax is the definition of equality.

Punish purchases, not wealth building.
    A flat tax is equal like laws about sleeping on park benches is equal. Impact matters.

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    You are never, EVER, EVER going to get equal treatment. Stop thinking of a Utopia.

The best you can do is to make it as close as possible.
    If you are for making it as close as possible, why are you for less equity???
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner981
    I don't believe in observational proof because I have arrived at the conclusion that such a thing doesn't exist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    A flat tax is the definition of equality.

Punish purchases, not wealth building.
    Spending is good for the economy, wealth building is not.

15+ Year Old Account
    Just remove loopholes that is the issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spl4sh3r View Post
    I think that's what I find most frustrating on this topic. Flat-tax advocates typically complain that the tax code is arcane and complex and needs to be simpler, and that's why they argue for a flat tax.

Which would do nothing, since the complexity isn't in the progressive tax brackets, which take all of like 4 sentences and a single table to explain, being overly generous. It's in the loopholes and exceptions and all that, all of which absolutely could exist with a flat tax system, just as easily.

They claim to be about tax reform, but they don't even understand the current tax code.

I love the loopholes, its like a giant puzzle you have to sift through to pay the least amount of tax. I can see why its not great or fair though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spl4sh3r View Post
    Thing is, they're not universally bad. I agree with the mortgage interest deduction, I disagree with the private jet credit. etc...
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GarlicGuy View Post
    To me it seems like the most fair a tax system there could be, as long as there aren't loopholes for the rich.

Honestly, I would like to see a tax on everything we buy, but no other taxes.
    Horrible idea.

20% of your income can send someone on minimum wage into absolute poverty, while it is barely noticeable for someone with a high income.

Your other idea is slightly better, but it too has some major weaknesses (which I am sure others have pointed out to you already).

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    No, it isn't for a single reason.

I'm a small business owner. (For some stupid strange reason I need to keep repeating this to explain my position on many issues.) By extension I proportionally use a much greater share of the national and international infrastructures funded from taxpayer money than most of my employees. Plenty of services and system have been specifically created just for me (and other businesses) whose sole purpose is to facilitate my economic activities.

Essentially, I'm using a greater proportion of state resources than the "average" taxpayer. By extension it is logical that my tax burden would be proportionally higher. I shouldn't be subsidized by someone who uses less resources and benefits from them less than I do.
    Can you be pressured into cloning yourself? Holy moly, a business owner who gets it!