Poll: Make it easier to vote?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ysilla View Post
    Try telling that to Estonia.

Or to French people living abroad (oh wait, you just did).
    I didn't say paper ballots are totally safe and free from fraud or rigging. They are however better than e-voting machines or online. Online can be manipulated like any other thing that has encryption - it can be broken.

Ask the NSA.

Hey cyberkids - not everything is great turned into 1's & 0's and shown on a screen. Yes Virginia, sometimes old tech is better.
    Last edited by Caolela; 2015-09-29 at 03:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    yes, refreshments will be a requirement.
    well there should be a 21 and over section for sure

Quote Originally Posted by kyoloco View Post
    well there should be a 21 and over section for sure
    oh yea it'll be a booth on the stage of the school gym.

I can't find the link, but there's a published study that shows that in Australia people who vote drunk, are more likely to vote for right-wing candidates than if they were sober. I'm not sure you want your government decided by a bunch of drunk people or you'll wake up with a helluva hangover. We sure did.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good point, Primal. Maybe if they keep that up, they should have the option to test for alcohol if an official smells it on them or acts drunk.

OTOH, people who didn't want to vote would just drink then show up at the polling place. I guess they could treat it like Driving While Intoxicated and make it illegal to be over X% in your system.
    Last edited by Caolela; 2015-09-29 at 04:00 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caolela View Post
    Good point, Primal. Maybe if they keep that up, they should have the option to test for alcohol if an official smells it on them.

OTOH, people who didn't want to vote would just drink then show up at the polling place. I guess they could treat it like Driving While Intoxicated and make it illegal to be over X% in your system.
    Heh, I thought the topic was about making it easier to vote, not harder.
    Oh, hi.

Just trying to point out that making it a public holiday and encouraging people to host "Voting Parties" with refreshments might not be ideal.

I find it hillarious you actually have to REGISTER to vote in your country....

Here in Denmark, everyone who are above 18 and danish citizen automatically gets a voting card through mail. You bring this to your local election place. We usually have between 85% and 90% turnout for the national votes.

We do NOT have a holliday when its voting day, people can manage it just fine.

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake

Quote Originally Posted by Nelle View Post

Here in Denmark, everyone who are above 18 and danish citizen automatically gets a voting card through mail. You bring this to your local election place. We usually have between 85% and 90% turnout for the national votes.

Do you need to show a photo ID to vote there?.

10+ Year Old Account
    Heh, I thought the topic was about making it easier to vote, not harder.
    About making it easier to vote in the U.S., not Oz. They have their own issues, but I can see Primal's point.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kyoloco View Post
    with beer and BBQ served at "voting" parties
    Just the excuse we needed to bump the voting age up to 21.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darchi
    Thx America for destroying Europe and world and all mess you cause bcs of your selfishness and only thinking abot yourself and of your interest, creating IS, killing in the name of democracy, etc etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    Nope, around here we trust eachother.

You show up, hand in your voting card, tell them your CPR number / name (everyone in Denmark have one), they check if it match the one on the card. Kinda just formality.

Then they hand out the voting-page-thingie, you go vote and drop it into a box.
    Last edited by Nelle; 2015-09-29 at 04:37 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelle View Post

Yeah but we're imbeciles here, Nelle. Certain factions would love if it were harder for specific groups to vote, thus giving them an advantage at the polls.

They can't win elections sometimes on their issue platforms, so they resort to chicanery.

10+ Year Old Account
    It should be a holiday, so people don't have to leave work to stand in long lines to vote.

I don't care about YOUR personal experience from YOUR district, this is a genuine problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    No, because typically the national tax office will have more than sufficient data to determine voter eligibility.

Fun Fact: This is also the case with the IRS in the United States. Yet more reason why 'voter ID' is bullshit.

Here in WA we've had remarkable success with the shift to mail-in voting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Found this simple video showing how you vote in Denmark, it's all about making it as simple as possible, so "everyone" go vote.

Why a holiday?

Just make voting online possible.

(Also: no poll o.o)
    Yeah, what could possibly go wrong?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Yeah, what could possibly go wrong?
    If you can bank online, you can vote.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

In Canada everyone who is eligible to vote must have 3 consecutive hours during the day to go and vote. If your work schedule will not allow for you to have 3 consecutive hours than your employer is required to give you enough time to go and cast your ballot. You will still be payed as though you were working.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    If you can bank online, you can vote.
    Yeah what could go wrong there as well

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2...each/23464913/

- - - Updated - - -

I think you should have to pass a Civil test before being allowed to vote. Just basic Constitution questions.