Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Question A one world Government

Hi people! as the title says, i was thinking about a one world government, and if it is feasible and practicable.
    for the most part, in the short run i don't think so, but i'm leaning towards that a single governmental body is possible in the next 50-100 years (that is, if we don't f*ck ourselves up in the first place)

any thoughts?

Ps: sorry for my english, i'm not a native speaker
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

Not until there's some semblance of unified cultures or values.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

15+ Year Old Account
    As little sovereignty as we could possibly achieve, every Star Trek fans dream (I'm generalizing, don't hurt me Star Trek fans).

90% of these think we need it to start exploring the galaxy, are you one of them?

Not saying it's not a nice utopia, it's just a horribly scary thought in practice to me.
    Last edited by Revi; 2015-09-28 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    This, really. For example, third world countries/some middle-east countries don't quite have same values and views, as for example western ones. How would you put all of that into one, without a giant mess?

10+ Year Old Account
    We can start by getting rid of religious and political agendas.

Not saying remove them completely. Let the people have their thoughts, prayers, ideals, etc. BUT we should allow scientists, engineers and doctors run the show. Then maybe we have a fighting chance at making it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xcureanddisease View Post
    We can start by getting rid of religious and political agendas.

Not saying remove them completely. Let the people have their thoughts, prayers, ideals, etc. BUT we should allow scientists, engineers and doctors run the show. Then maybe we have a fighting chance at making it.
    No, thank you. It should be up to the population to decide in what direction they want the country to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    As little sovereignty as we could possibly achieve, every Star Trek fans dream.

90% of these think we need it to start exploring the galaxy, are you one of them?

Not saying it's not a nice utopia, it's just a horribly scary thought in practice to me.
    yes, lol i am one of them!
    i think that we need to put our petty differences aside, to advance in science and tech, in order to explore the vast universe!
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

Deleted
    This.

When people say "let's have one world government", they tend to mean one with their values and beliefs, like star trek, so sort of atheistic, scientific and democratic - and free.

What if the one world government was a religious autocracy where you were forced to work a job assigned by the state and forced to marry someone mandated by the state.

The world is a big place with lots of people who believe in different things. It's already pretty tough getting any kind of agreement on values.

In my opinion, the human race will most probably reach a a point where it could go two different paths, one is unity and a one world government. The other is the aftermath of the process of implementing this government failing, this one could put us on the route or verge to extinction.

Pulling numbers out of my arse I don't see this happening for like 500 years if not more

Deleted
    our own governments cant even run their own countries properly, and you expect a single world government ? aint gong to happen.

We are a long long way from this ever happening. It is possible I guess just highly unlikely for several lifetimes, unless some crazy outside force or event speeds things up.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Unless the Government have a loose reins on its divisions. I believe micromanaging governments do their job better. But what do i know. We would have to get a lot more accepting of everyone beliefs too. Kinda hard, in the distatn future who knows.

Also we would have to cross the language barrier.

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    Pretty much this. And it is slowly happening. Be patient.
    Ha, no.

Sorry but you've clearly never been out of your own domestic region.

Pick any issue ...and go take your mindset on it to places like Africa, the Middle East, Asia, South America, or even Russia.

Come back and tell me how it worked out for you.

There will be no unified cultures, ever.

There can only be unified interests through commerce and/or exploration.

Those are the only two concepts that have ever brought cultures together and even then they end up in war most of the time.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

I dunno, there's probably a reason why most of the story behind the formation of the federation in Star Trek is a result of World War 3 blasting 2/3 of the world population to shit
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

7+ Year Old Account
    religion will have to go first.

Deleted
    Slowly happening? In what world is this slowly happening?

I dunno, there's probably a reason why most of the story behind the formation of the federation in Star Trek is a result of World War 3 blasting 2/3 of the world population to shit
    I wonder which 2/3 parts of the planet... lol

10+ Year Old Account
    There will be a unified government once we find other cultures in the cosmos. Then it will be Earth culture VS other Civilization on other planets. The bigger the scale gets the less it seems impossible to unify.

No. One government means one direction. If that government goes down the wrong path the entire human race is ruined. Options are a good thing. This world needs less power concentration not more.

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    As little sovereignty as we could possibly achieve, every Star Trek fans dream (I'm generalizing, don't hurt me Star Trek fans).
    In Star Trek everybody contributed to society.

We cant even convince "some people" to recognize the need for everybody to contribute, let alone make it happen.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN