10+ Year Old Account

A few random questions by a noobie

1) I have an 8+ year old pc (it was a relatively low-end, value for money build back then at 500 euros) and it’s starting to give in lately. The problem is that it either freezes completely or restarts within the first 10 minutes after hitting the power button (both in boot and in Windows) randomly and without a BSOD or any warning. It can happen immediately, or within the first 10 minutes, but after the 10 minutes I’m home free. After it freezes and I decide to restart it, it’s a 50/50 chance it will start up but it won’t boot, I can hear the fans working and everything but the monitor, mouse and keyboard remain off. Turning the PSU off and on after 5 minutes and then starting it up seems to circumvent this often (but it may again freeze). From what I understand it can be anything from HDD to RAM to PSU to CPU to drivers. I haven’t tried formatting it yet though. Maybe you have an inkling as to what causes it? Temperatures seem fine.

2) This is the build I have in mind, gimme some corrections, my budget is around 700 dollars (which translates to 800 euros if you count in shipping and all that):

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($187.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($74.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($45.89 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($43.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($41.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 380 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($199.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($61.98 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.45 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $728.26
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-30 10:38 EDT-0400

3) Because in Greece shipping is often very expensive and sometimes impossible, is there any way to choose retailers based on availability of shipping to zip code? I couldn’t find anything like that, I could only choose to whitelist the merchants myself.

4) I will be going to the army from November until August 2016, how much money do you think I will save if I decide to buy it then instead of now? Is there new hardware on the horizon until that date that will render a purchase idiotic right now? My sister’s pc also gave in and she’s a gamer, so I can give it to her in the meantime, that’s why I’m considering buying one now instead of later.

Much love.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2015-09-30 at 02:38 PM.

Deleted
    1-3 i am unable to answer as i am a noobie myself

point 4 i can answer half of it. You will probaly save money on the system if you buy in august 2016, but as i can tell from your post you are not a selfish guy and want to help your sister out in the meantime. Its noble, but do remember that when you get back in august she or you will have the problem, one of you is going to have to buy a new pc then. If you buy now it will be her, if she buys one now it will be you.
    Personally i am not that noble, i know my brother isn't. I would buy in august 2016 get a better bang for my buck. And i would look at my old pc and her pc if components are salvagable and can work together. So she can be helped that way.
    But its all a moral dilemma wich you got to deceide.

10+ Year Old Account
    Edited with a somewhat better build.

edit: Do I also buy a heatsink or do I just get the tray i5 and just leave it as it is?

Quote Originally Posted by Onaturi View Post
    1-3 i am unable to answer as i am a noobie myself

point 4 i can answer half of it. You will probaly save money on the system if you buy in august 2016, but as i can tell from your post you are not a selfish guy and want to help your sister out in the meantime. Its noble, but do remember that when you get back in august she or you will have the problem, one of you is going to have to buy a new pc then. If you buy now it will be her, if she buys one now it will be you.
    Personally i am not that noble, i know my brother isn't. I would buy in august 2016 get a better bang for my buck. And i would look at my old pc and her pc if components are salvagable and can work together. So she can be helped that way.
    But its all a moral dilemma wich you got to deceide.
    I trust my sister, her problem is that she is short on cash right now and can't buy a new pc for herself, due to the situation in Greece where employers simply don't pay salaries anymore, as she's basically working for free right now. But that will probably change in the future.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2015-09-30 at 12:59 PM.