Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I'm from Croatia, visited most of the Europe over the years.

Haven't been to Scandinavia still, and as an avid mountaineer I'm dying to visit it and it's mountains. Same could go for Iceland I guess. Pitty Norway is so expensive compared to Croatian standard I probably won't make it for years to come.

I can recomend visiting Croatia if you're into natural beautys and historical monuments. /end shameless selfpromotion
    Free speech covers everything, except arguing against free speech. You can not use a concept as an argument against itself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    I dislike Berlin, too. The DDR effect is too strong there.

I like western Germany.
    I liked the modern history aspect of Berlin, but I wasn't a huge fan of the city in terms of its night life, compared to the rest of Europe. Feels a bit to much like a soulless megacity.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

I've pretty much been to most places in Europe, but I'd like to go to Scotland

New Syria... I mean Germany.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khazaad View Post

Haven't been to Scandinavia still, and as an avid mountaineer I'm dying to visit it and it's mountains. Same could go for Iceland I guess. Pitty Norway is so expensive compared to Croatian standard I probably won't make it for years to come.

I can recomend visiting Croatia if you're into natural beautys and historical monuments. /end shameless selfpromotion
    Croatia is definitely on my list. I'd like to see Plitvice, I've heard Dubrovnik is awesome, and I'd like to see the Dalmatian coast, where so many of the best Roman emperors came from.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    But the Med cuisines are all super light, healthy and consist mostly of fresh fish and vegetables
    He has a point tho...
    That is, if he indicates Poland's cuisine is sub par quality nutrition.

The human body adjusts to the nutrition it gets. Especially protein is a key aspect.
    In an example...
    If you eat burger (ground meat) frequently, your body digests that perfectly fine.
    Now, go out and eat a top quality cut piece of meat at a steak house. You WILL get the runs the next day.
    Your body will be unable to handle the significantly higher protein quality, and has no idea how to process it properly.
    Result, you get the runs.

If you keep eating that steak meat, your body would adjust to that though.

In other words...
    Foods that are significantly below or above ones personal standard make you temporarily sick.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    What's so great about Cyprus? Are you a Cypriot Patriot?
    It's great. It's not crowded, calm and it has the best beaches in Mediterranean and alcohol is cheaper than water.

10+ Year Old Account
    What's so great about Cyprus? Are you a Cypriot Patriot?
    I'm a dual British and Cypriot citizen, but not a patriot of either really.

There are lots of things about Cyprus that aren't great, e.g. their obsession with pointless bureaucracy that would make even Germans shudder, rife corruption/nepotism, the election of a Communist Government that managed to blow up its main power station and their amazing ability to build cities that seem to have no planning co-ordination whatsoever. However, the lifestyle is chilled, the food is good, it's extremely cosmopolitan and the weather is fabulous.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    He has a point tho...
    That is, if he indicates Poland's cuisine is sub par quality nutrition.
    It may have been a jab at Polish food - which manages to make British, Scandinavian and German food look good, that in itself is an impressive accomplishment.

Cabbage is not a delicacy for Christmas.

Well been to France, Germany, Spain, Austria, Hungary, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Slovakia I'v been to them when they were one country as well, then Romania, Greece, Malta, Portugal, Russia, Netherlands aka Holland, Croatia, Italy, UK ( both Great Britain and Ireland ) and few other countries but I would really love to visit Norway and her natural beauty with all the lakes, fjords....

As a Belgian, I'm gonna have to agree with this. Been to almost all european countries, and Split and Dubrovnik are 2 of the cities I definitely wanna visit again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    I'm a dual British and Cypriot citizen, but not a patriot of either really.

There are lots of things about Cyprus that aren't great, e.g. their obsession with pointless bureaucracy that would make even Germans shudder, rife corruption/nepotism, the election of a Communist Government that managed to blow up its main power station and their amazing ability to build cities that seem to have no planning co-ordination whatsoever. However, the lifestyle is chilled, the food is good, it's extremely cosmopolitan and the weather is fabulous.
    The chill lifestyle sounds nice. I'm not sure I'd want to be so close to Syria these days though.

- - - Updated - - -

Why does it seem like European cities are able to stay small in footprint, less spread out than American cities?

10+ Year Old Account
    That's where they made the Karl May/Winnetou movies back in the 60s, if I am not mistaken.
    Stunning landscape indeed.

Impressive scenery... Though not exactly typical Apache territory to my knowledge.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    The chill lifestyle sounds nice. I'm not sure I'd want to be so close to Syria these days though.
    Most of the refugees are bypassing the island - the Cypriot governmental agencies aren't easy to deal with and the support they'd get even if they did negotiate through them is minimal.

Although it is physically in the Middle East, the issues that are happening in some other Middle Eastern countries haven't had too much of an effect, many mainland European nations have been affected far more than Cyprus.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Ireland and Wales, mainly for schooling and language practice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why does it seem like European cities are able to stay small in footprint, less spread out than American cities?
    They typically don't have the area to expand into.

London is massive, but London proper is only about a square mile in size, it just swallowed all the surrounding towns and villages.

10+ Year Old Account
    They typically don't have the area to expand into.

London is massive, but London proper is only about a square mile in size, it just swallowed all the surrounding towns and villages.
    Well there are a few megacities that are exceptions. But I was looking more at, for example. Edirne, or Zagreb, or Vienna, all of which are surrounded by farmland. Vienna has farmland less than a mile from the city center.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well there are a few megacities that are exceptions. But I was looking more at, for example. Edirne, or Zagreb, or Vienna, all of which are surrounded by farmland. Vienna has farmland less than a mile from the city center.
    Could be a combination of many factors, e.g. landowners not willing to sell, planning consent restrictions, there not being a need to expand, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Could be a combination of many factors, e.g. landowners not willing to sell, planning consent restrictions, there not being a need to expand, etc.
    Right. It's just a bit surprising, since I'm used to seeing even mid-size cities in the US tend to expand outward very rapidly. Austin has grown so quickly in the last couple decades that the city built a ring road far out from the edge of the city in the expectation that they'll be growing into it soon, and they've been doing so.

Looking at the time travel dingus in Google Earth in Houston is really interesting, watching the borders of the city expand over the last 50 years.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    From US, but would like to see the area my ancestors are from. Northern Ireland and Lapland.

15+ Year Old Account
    I liked the modern history aspect of Berlin, but I wasn't a huge fan of the city in terms of its night life, compared to the rest of Europe. Feels a bit to much like a soulless megacity.
    Berlin is just plain ugly with full of horrible ramshackle post-WW2 architecture and graffiti all over. It's also quite dirty. Hamburg, Frankfurt, Düsseldorf and München are so much better for example.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.