Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Overwatch beta invites are being sent out?

facebook.com/buffed/photos/a.382060460918.166902.21425480918/10153060959890919/?type=3&theater&__mref=message_bubble

"Guess which Beta Keys are coming in right now! Hint: Its not WoW Legion" - From a german games website which mostly talks about Blizzard games, mmos etc.

That is, if they are telling the truth. They say "Beta Keys" which I highly doubt since they are now using Account invites for Alphas/Betas right?

Also this: twitter.com/Blizzard_ANZ/status/646839663286554624

Maybe we are getting close to a official release date of the Alpha/Beta, what do you guys think?
    Last edited by mmoc0b270cc790; 2015-10-02 at 05:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beastlyqt View Post
    Maybe we are getting close to a official release date of the Alpha/Beta, what do you guys think?
    Blizzard gave fansites and streamers beta keys to giveaway to promote the game. They could easily do the same thing with Overwatch.

We know that Overwatch was going to have a beta on a "Fall the 10th", so that could be this month or next month, right after Blizzcon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Reposting the links above so it'll be easier to click them.

German facebook-site containing a sentence and picture of Overwatch

Original German post of the facebook link

"Ratet mal, welche Beta-Keys bei uns gerade reinflattern! Kleiner Tipp: Es ist nicht WoW Legion"
    As I don't speak German, I used google translate to translate the sentence above, which becomes this in English:
    Tradu was kind enough to translate the sentence. Updating it over the old one:

"Guess which beta keys we've just received(technically "are receiving right now")! Hint: it's not WoW Legion"
    The twitter link refers to Aussies (and Kiwis) to sign up as it's coming "soon".

Sounds peculiar, if I may say. Although buffed.de do in fact post information only containing Blizzard games, you could say it's rather weird them "confirming" such, unless they've been cleared by Blizzard to give out the picture and that sentence.

I just hope we won't have to wait until Blizzcon in order to get into the beta and start testing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Nostalgic View Post
    Blizzard gave fansites and streamers beta keys to giveaway to promote the game. They could easily do the same thing with Overwatch.

We know that Overwatch was going to have a beta on a "Fall the 10th", so that could be this month or next month, right after Blizzcon.
    They've given MMO-Champ a few keys during multiple WoW betas. Heck, I won a MoP beta key here on the forums by a random lucky draw, which is how they usually do it. Chaud, I mean.
    Last edited by Sesshomaru; 2015-10-02 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Shamelessly stole translation

Quote Originally Posted by Beastlyqt View Post
    facebook.com/buffed/photos/a.382060460918.166902.21425480918/10153060959890919/?type=3&theater&__mref=message_bubble

"Guess which Beta Keys are coming in right now! Hint: Its not WoW Legion" - From a german games website which mostly talks about Blizzard games, mmos etc.

That is, if they are telling the truth. They say "Beta Keys" which I highly doubt since they are now using Account invites for Alphas/Betas right?

Also this: twitter.com/Blizzard_ANZ/status/646839663286554624

Hearthstone had "beta keys" I sold mine for a few hundred dollars during the first wave of invites.

Quote Originally Posted by Zalënë View Post
    As I don't speak German, I used google translate to translate the sentence above, which becomes this in English:
    Basically what it's saying is "Guess which beta keys we've just received(technically "are receiving right now")! Hint: it's not WoW Legion". The google translate is kinda funny, though(mostly because it's really bad)
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

My goodness, they're just now getting to open beta? They announced this game over a year ago! Can you imagine if Apple announced the next iPhone and did not release it for over a year. Blizzard is a strange egg.

Quote Originally Posted by Lery View Post
    My goodness, they're just now getting to open beta? They announced this game over a year ago! Can you imagine if Apple announced the next iPhone and did not release it for over a year. Blizzard is a strange egg.
    Blizzard is Blizzard.

Diablo 3 was announced in 2008 and not released until 2012.

I assumed there'd be:

1) Streamers/game sites/etc preview access (already happening)

2) Friends & family alpha (may already be happening)

3) Technical alpha (guessing will be announced or begin at Blizzcon)

4) Closed beta (might be soon? ish?)

5) Open beta (god knows when)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

The very first iPhone was announced January 9, 2007 and didn't release until June 29, 2007.
    Custom signature requests: CLOSED | PLEASE DO NOT PM ME FOR REQUESTS!

I guess there'd be a lot of angry chafing of hipster beards against turtlenecks.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't think Blizzard is actively flagging accounts yet. They might be contacting streamers, press, fansites, etc. to make preparations for that, though.

Man, I really hope I get in with the first wave of invites. I got into the first wave for Hearthstone, and I've tested every WoW expansion since Wrath, but it took forever for my account to get flagged for Heroes of the Storm.
    Last edited by Kathranis; 2015-10-05 at 04:58 AM.

I got into the HoTS alpha but only late beta for Hearthstone. No idea how that works.

Overwatch could be in beta stage for years even after the general public plays it and thinks it's good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    Diablo 3 was announced in 2008 and not released until 2012.
    I think you just crushed my hopes and dreams for Overwatch being close.

Mechagnome
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by taubut View Post
    The very first iPhone was announced January 9, 2007 and didn't release until June 29, 2007.
    I'm not sure I see your point, being that 5 months isn't over a year.
    Anything worth doing is worth over-doing. Moderation's for cowards.

Deleted
    On topic of development...

It's all because Blizz is using their own engine - at least as far as I know (never heard anything that would suggest otherwise). You can put a game like Overwatch "mechanically" speaking in less than a few months (from start to finish) using UE4 for example. It's the assets like models, maps, sprites and business model implementation that takes real time. Still, using UE4 you can end up with a very playable version (closed Beta at least) in about a year.

Creating your own game engine is not an easy feat, people don't realize it but you spend more time on fixing conflicts/bugs than actual development of new features. Hardware/driver compatibility, features overlap and interaction, "server side" infrastructure - databases, hell sometimes even hitboxes alone can cause months of delay or post launch issues (I'm looking at you Valve..). That's why Blizz is "not fast" in delivering games.

Sometimes I question developer's decision to not use "ready to use" options like UE4. There is much work "already done", like hardware compatibility or features like "destructible" objects or multiplayer platform. Not to mention there is no limit upon expanding them. Heck, you can even write whole module up from the scratch if you are not pleased with "standard issue".

I could understand if Overwatch would be bringing us some "breakthrough" mechanic or unprecedented graphical advantage, but honestly, take it from a developer: there is not even one feature in Overwatch that you couldn't find in ready to go engines like UE4 and just copy&paste it to your project.

So yeah, good for them for creating new engine, but was it worth the time/money spent? Only if they have some more plans for it beyond Overwatch...

Quote Originally Posted by Creepjack View Post
    I could understand if Overwatch would be bringing us some "breakthrough" mechanic or unprecedented graphical advantage, but honestly, take it from a developer: there is not even one feature in Overwatch that you couldn't find in ready to go engines like UE4 and just copy&paste it to your project.
    I think if the development studio is big enough and has the resources to create an engine then it's always going to pay off for them in the long run. They have full control over it. The moment they pick up another engine they're limited and they also have to deal with the whole "Oh that Blizzard game that uses the Unreal Engine". It's just not Blizzard. They pride themselves on making sure their products are highly polished. I don't think they could really achieve that to their own internal standards if they were using an out of house engine or resources.

I mean sure.. for a small game studio.. it makes absolute perfect sense to pick up an engine. No brainer. But Blizzard are huge. They can write their own engines using in house talent and not take a hit for doing it. They have the time and they have the resource whilst their other games continue to make them a profit.

Also remember Overwatch was originally intended to be their next MMO before it evolved into what we see today. So the original engine work may have been with the intention of a 10 year+ MMO project.

In Prague, at the EURTB 2015 event, Blizzard was asking fansites and so on for bnet accounts and stuff for the invites.

As Valyrian stated, most likely, they will also receive later the Beta Keys to share with the audience.

I am a menace to my own destiny.

Havent received one ... I am signed tho... no idea if they occured already