Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Luftmangle View Post
    I wonder what technology would change in the Star Trek universe if a new series was set a century or two after TNG?.
    they finally get USB and WiFi?

Y'know, I love old Star Trek. I really do. But every time I see one of these arguments like in this thread, all I can think is Trekkies Bash new Star Trek film as "fun, watchable."

It's always weird to watch two ridiculously polarized groups be wrong at each other.

The thing about Star Trek is that it is not action movie material. Star Trek at its core is about the hope of a better future, its rooted in the 60s when civil strife and unrest were rampant and Gene was looking to the far future to show everyone that the issues of the day are solvable. That things can and will get better. That through hard work and perseverance that humanity can get past all the hate and bigotry that has followed us since we first walked this planet.

JJ's Star Trek is all action all the time. There is no larger issue the characters are dealing with. There is no time in these movies to even think about anything other than "Where is the bad guy? SHOOT HIM!" If you look back at all the past Trek films each has its action sequences like any good Sci Fi movie will but there are distinct themes underlying what is going on.

Now on Topic.
    I would absolutely love a new series. It would need to be set 20 years after Voyager at least to allow any and all characters they wanted to pull in to be able to cameo for the new series IE Admiral Janeway in Nemesis or pulling Worf off of DS9 for First Contact. Sorry to say I am not a fan of trying to make one of the other races the focus of the show like the Klingons or Cardassians. I want them on the show sure but Star Trek to me is about Humanity and our experiences with other races and how we can learn from them and teach them about us.

The next they would need to do is to decide what kinda show it is going to be. We have already had the staples of 3 Starship traveling series, 1 Space Station series and 1 Lost in Space series and truthfully i can't see them trying to duplicate DS9 or Voyager so we would end up with a normal Starship traveling the stars series. Now thats not a bad thing but it could be if they get lazy.

Most importantly they need to follow Marvels example with their MCU plans. What i mean is that there are hundreds of ST books from every time period of the shows that go into far more detail about the universe that Gene created. They need to get the writers and the authors on the same page for once, even the ST Online game and their story guys. Cause as far as the book universe is concerned the Borg are GONE, transformed, ascended, whatever by a race unknown in the series/movies. Thats a major player in the ST universe. The ST Online game has them in it and it is set approx. 40-50 years after Voyager (not sure on the dates for ST:O)

Right now i just got finished reading ST Voyager Atonement. It is the latest in the after Voyager series books detailing what everyone is doing. We find Voyager with a fleet traveling back to the delta quadrant to establish ties with new and old friends and enemies. Also they are searching for any evidence that the Borg are still around as the DQ was their playground.

How do they get back to the DQ? A new type of propulsion system first showed off in a Voyager episode called Slipstream drive. Allowing for travel far beyond Warp 9.
    This one change to the standard tech of ST allows for basically the entire Galaxy to be within reach. Although the Gamma and Delta areas farthest away from the federation would still take years at Slipstream speeds. Every new ship being put into service by the Federation is going to soon incorporate this advancement. It even leads up to confrontation with the other major powers in the Alpha/Beta Quadrants because they don't have it and at the moment we're not sharing. So there is considerable pressure being brought to the Federation not only by our allies but by the Romulans Breen Kinshaya Gorn Tholians ect.

Needless to say there are many different things they could pull from the book universe and make them Cannon on whatever new show they brought to TV.

TLDR: JJ Abrams ST is not ST and Yes I do want another ST series without JJ.

Deleted
    I'd like it to be like Voyager, a crew lost in space.

Deleted
    I've said this somewhere before, but I'd have a great idea for a new Trek series, that would take place after TNG, in the main universe, with a new Enterprise.

Wesley Crusher would have become an alcoholic, and a complete failure despite being a teenage genius. A bit like Kirk in the new movies (although I thought of this idea before those new movies, damn it), but anyways... The new Enterprise, similarly, would be a complete failure, being this prototype ship that a huge amount of time and effort and materials would have been poured in, but it would never have become a viable warship or flagship. So, a few plot devices later, this alcoholic Wesley Crusher is given command of the USS Enterprise (whatever letter is applicable), and off they go, in their not-so-great Enterprise, with their fuckup captain.

This would be an amazing premise, I think, if only Wil Wheaton wasn't such a huge asshole SJW, and if only he could act.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe, I think the only thing they could do at this point would be a series about Worf and Klingons, although I feel it would be short-lived.

JJA can't be involved.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Deleted
    as long s it was a continuation of the cannon and timeline that has been created by TOS, TNG, Voy, DS9 then hell yes I would Love to see a new trek series,
    However a continuation of the Enterprise and or Abraham's bastardizations, then no. I would not be interested at all.

Deleted
    I don't think it's been quite long enough yet. I didn't like Enterprise I found it a tad dull, but I think it also suffered from Star Trek saturation around that period, as well as sci-fi taking a backseat to fantasy.

Fantasy, with the exception of GoT atm (but that's mainly due to the abundance of tits and bush on display) is also now seeing a downturn in interest.

Leave it a few more years and let sci-fi have a re-kindling. X-Files coming back next year seems to be generating some nostalgia interest. That might start the ball rolling again.
    Last edited by mmoc4ba93b9265; 2015-10-11 at 10:00 AM.

Deleted
    I'd watch the trailer / first few epidodes, but after enterprise (first two seasons were good, season 3 was very bad, season 4 among the worst crap ever broadcast) without any expectations.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetstream View Post
    Y'know, I love old Star Trek. I really do. But every time I see one of these arguments like in this thread, all I can think is Trekkies Bash new Star Trek film as "fun, watchable."

It's always weird to watch two ridiculously polarized groups be wrong at each other.
    I enjoyed the first JJ star trek film. The second one was absolutely dreadful, some of the worst editing and story structure I've seen in years.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been hankering for a new Star Trek series ever since Battlestar concluded and JJ's reboot made love to my brain.

I'd actually love for it to be set in JJ's universe rather than being it's own thing. Doesn't have to reference the films per se but that would be kind of cool.

Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    I enjoyed the first JJ star trek film. The second one was absolutely dreadful, some of the worst editing and story structure I've seen in years.
    I see what you're saying and respect you as a human being, citizen of Earth, and fellow breather of air...but you're totally wrong. The second film was great.
    Last edited by Daws001; 2015-10-11 at 11:06 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's already rumblings that after the next movie a TV series is in the cards, and I'm excited for it. Something set in the new universe would be fun, I think, though obviously following a new ship/crew. I love the old universe, but I think it's highly unlikely we'll be going back at this point other than in the expanded universe stuff.

Just keep the old guard away from it and bring in some new blood. Star Trek needs it after it ran outta steam in Voyager and Enterprise.

if it's not on network tv

10+ Year Old Account
    I just want to see a post-Voyager series set in the prime (non-reboot movie) universe with some smart writing and a good cast. I'm open to anything that's got those boxes ticked.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

how about a 29th century based one?

I'd love to see a time travel based series, it could revisit enterprise as part of the time war, few other episodes with Voyager DS9 Enterprise where theres been some sort of time disturbance it could use clips.

We could revisit famous characters in their youth, for example Janeway in the academy, Picard growing up in France on the wine yards, seven's assimilation etc.

But the main focus would be on the time war or maybe a new entire enemy.

Alternative

Carry on from Voyager, A new ship, new crew, exploration originated. Basic story line theres been a way to get through the great barrier instantaneously, new outpost set up on the Andromeda side of the galaxy, then the main ship or possibly mini fleet explore. Lets it open for new races, friends, enemies, everything practicality

Deleted
    I love Enterprise just actually re watching the 4 seasons now as I have the full box set , would be great to see a good bit further into the future to see the 31st century and all the time traveling missions that might unfold. Am not really interested in the other time line of the new movies really , there ok as movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    how about a 29th century based one?

I'd love to see a time travel based series, it could revisit enterprise as part of the time war, few other episodes with Voyager DS9 Enterprise where theres been some sort of time disturbance it could use clips.

We could revisit famous characters in their youth, for example Janeway in the academy, Picard growing up in France on the wine yards, seven's assimilation etc.

But the main focus would be on the time war or maybe a new entire enemy.

Alternative

Carry on from Voyager, A new ship, new crew, exploration originated. Basic story line theres been a way to get through the great barrier instantaneously, new outpost set up on the Andromeda side of the galaxy, then the main ship or possibly mini fleet explore. Lets it open for new races, friends, enemies, everything practicality
    I'm not sure about that premise. Sounds a bit too gimmicky, I think it takes focus away from the crew and their goals and places it on the nostalgia of week location.

Can't say I'd care particularly. The brand isn't anything to me anymore, far too old. If it was good, though, yeah, I'd watch it. Like I started watching Orange is the new black, or Agents of Shield, or other stuff after I was told it was good. But it doesn't get any points from here just for being Star Trek.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevyvia View Post
    Can't say I'd care particularly. The brand isn't anything to me anymore, far too old.
    The brand is too old, or you are too old? Because the original Star Trek wasn't exactly a children's series. Sure, it was fantastical, and it was a sci-fi, but the subject matters it dealt with were extremely adult. So, I'm guessing you mean the brand is too old.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevyvia View Post
    The second film was great.
    I see what you're saying and respect you as a human being, citizen of Earth, and fellow breather of air...but you're totally wrong.
    Seriously JJ was the worst EVER that could happen to the ST Franchise...

If we get a new ST series it has to be in the spirit of OS/TNG/Enterprise about a ship and her crew exploring.
    (and not something crappy like voyager pls)