Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would cry if a shot an animal...Fishing bores me to death, to each their own I guess

Fishing for me. Hunting is over-rated in my opinion. It's not that I have a problem with it, just think it's kind of boring.

I fish, typically catfish or warm water game fish. Have since I can remember. I would rather fish than do 99% of any other recreational activity.

I am a pretty avid target shooter. I have hunted birds, hunting is not my favorite thing, but I could/would easily do it if I had to.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    Oh I agree to the tolerance. When I got to my duty station at Ft Hood, me and some friends went to mardi gras in Austin. The cops shot a cs grenade into a crowd of people to get it to disburse and you found out real quick who had been exposed to it before.
    However, I'd take CS over OC ANY day.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWalkinDude View Post
    I've hunted pretty consistently for the past 21 years and have never met a hunter who drinks while hunting. Not only is it illegal, it makes you a shit hunter. Drunk hunters certainly aren't representative of the hunting community.
    You drink back at camp after it gets dark.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fished when I was a kid, haven't been fishing in like 10+ years though. Don't plan on going ever again. Also never hunted and don't intend to do that either.

I do, however, have a lot of guns and like to go shooting often. Always wanted to get into archery as well.

I like fishing on a boat, I hate fishing off a pier or river bank.

Quote Originally Posted by Realsykes View Post
    However, I'd take CS over OC ANY day.
    Yeah I've done that too. I was an MP in the Army. In order for us to carry the pepper spray we had to be subjected to it. sprayed with it. When they spray you you can't wash it out until you've found a plastic pistol that they put on the ground. It wasn't fun for me because that same Staff sergeant who threw a gas grenade in my teams tent kicked the gun out of the way when I got close to it. I hated that guy so much...

Yeah I've done that too. I was an MP in the Army. In order for us to carry the pepper spray we had to be subjected to it. sprayed with it. When they spray you you can't wash it out until you've found a plastic pistol that they put on the ground. It wasn't fun for me because that same Staff sergeant who threw a gas grenade in my teams tent kicked the gun out of the way when I got close to it. I hated that guy so much...
    I had to do a course with it in my eyes, taking people down and cuffing people with it incinerating my eye sockets lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    I go deer hunting 1-2 weekends a year. Rather boring and in 14yrs I've only shot one very nice 8 pointer which was just luck the people next to me kicked it up off their land.

I go fishing like 4 times a year. I always say I want to go more but when it's 80F+ outside I just don't want to go anymore. I like fishing northern otherwise just walleye or crappie.

Do you hunt or fish? Currently I fish but have been looking into hunting for a while now. Things holding me back from it are basically not having a place to process the animal after killing it. I wouldn't want to pay somebody to do it for me. I like catching cat fish and bass. Also tend to catch alot of sheepheads in lake erie. What do you like to hunt or fish?
    Game processing is actually not too expensive. It's not a trivial cost, but it won't break the bank. Your meat will still be cheaper than the supermarket.

Small game like Rabbit can be processed in the field with nothing more than a guthook knife and there's a lot of good Youtube videos showing you how to clean small game in a flash. Hell, I saw a video where a guy cleaned and butchered a wild boar with nothing but a guthook knife (and a hoist to hold the body up)

I suck at fishing, but want to get into hunting. I'm tired of making Cargil richer just so I can have meat.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalkinDude View Post
    I've hunted pretty consistently for the past 21 years and have never met a hunter who drinks while hunting. Not only is it illegal, it makes you a shit hunter. Drunk hunters certainly aren't representative of the hunting community.
    Try adderall when ur hunting lol, its a hell of a experience

Can you hunt chickens?.

Deleted
    I never hunted, and only fished once or twice as a kid (only ever catching something the second attempt). My parents weren't into it (poor animals boo hoo) and I didn't stick with it.

Being older, I'd fish or hunt for food, as I love camping and outdoor stuff. Unfortunately, living in the Netherlands, hunting rifles require a permit to buy (as well as shooting club attendance and lots of hassle); there's not many places to go where hunting would be allowed, and camping "in the wild" isn't allowed either. You can still do it, but risk a fine (and there's not that many large foresty areas to do it in).

It'd be nice to 'learn' how to fish for survival purposes, but that's really just the basics I'd be interested in. I'm more interested in learning to cut/gut the catch, I've never done that before and think it requires a bit more skill than the fishing itself.

I've hunted since I was 12, and fished for as long as I can remeber. We process our own deer/bear. I still can't get the hang of cleaning fish properly, but my wife can, so there's that I guess. Now that my shoulder is fixed, I'd like to take up archery for hunting, I used to be a good shot at the 3d shoots held by the local sportsmansclub.
    We hunt in a group, there's usually artound 30 of us. All but one do not drink untill we are done for the night (yes we usually fill our 30 tags, and some farm tags which get donated to families in need). The one that does drink hunts with a pistol we load with blanks, he's not that bright but has a good time and makes one hell of a dog in the woods.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Nope. I don't drink, so I can't enjoy hunting & fishing. Besides, it turns out you can just buy fish and meat.
    It's not about food anymore, it's about weak individuals needing to kill something smaller than them to feel good about themselves.

Do you hunt or fish? Currently I fish but have been looking into hunting for a while now. Things holding me back from it are basically not having a place to process the animal after killing it. I wouldn't want to pay somebody to do it for me. I like catching cat fish and bass. Also tend to catch alot of sheepheads in lake erie. What do you like to hunt or fish?
    You could always do it yourself. It's not really that hard. Unless you want to turn it into sausage or ground meat. Even then, a meat grinder isn't too expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by quikbunny View Post
    It's not about food anymore, it's about weak individuals needing to kill something smaller than them to feel good about themselves.
    Have you never gone and picked wild fruit? Same concept. You take an animal for the pristine taste and freshness. To normal rational people it's never about "Ima kill this thing because I feel superior". There are people like that, sure, but that is such a small percentage of actual hunters. Hell, even the television hunters don't represent the majority of real hunters.

Fishing:
    Yes. We try to get out at least once every two to three months. Usually come back with a fresh feed of fish and enough to restock our freezers.

Hunting:
    Not so much. The last few opportunities I've had to go I've declined because it was just hunting for feral pigs and kangaroo again. Because of disease you don't risk eating the meat (usually 2 in 3 will have worms) so unless they're being culled for grazers it's pretty pointless. Hunting other animals up here gets pretty expensive, depending on what you're looking to hunt and how many are going out. If you want to go to a range you'll be looking at $100-200 per person per day for access and then you pay a fee for your trophies. Trophy animals range from around $1000 to $5000 for deer and then upwards from that for rarer/bigger game. Meat animals usually go for around $250 to $500 (wild pigs and goats cost less) plus processing fees (transport, butchery and cold store).

On the subject of alcohol and hunting / fishing I have to agree with the other people in the thread. Firearms and alcohol don't mix. Period. If we're fishing it depends where we are. If we're fishing on shore I might have a few drinks. If we're out on the boat I generally just don't drink. Even if you did want to drink if you're in QLD and operating a boat you need to have a BAC of < 0.05 and the limit applies even if you're anchored.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Both.

Haven't done either for awhile though. Use to love catching trout in rivers when I was a kid, taking them back to camp (if we were camping) or back to the house and frying them up for dinner.

It's not about trying to feel big by killing something small or helpless lol. Most of the hunters I know don't fit that category at all. Out of the 10 times I've gone moose hunting for example, there was exactly one person I've seen who basically hunted just for the horns of the animal. The rest dressed their meat, took it back to the camp, and took it to one of the many professional butchers in the community a couple days later. Of course their are individuals who muddy the water so to speak and give hunters a bad name, you know, the ones who just want to kill for the sake of killing, or try to kill as many things that they can for the fun of it.

Hunting or fishing to kill a big animal or fish is an aspect yes, but hunting for us was always to get a good meal and to effectively save money. When you can kill two birds with one stone (in the context of this thread, lol) why not do it? When I was younger my father and I paid 2000 dollars collectively to end up with well over 1000 pounds of moose meat. Good luck getting 1000-1200 pounds of quality beef worth of steak, hamburger, sausages, and roasts for 2000 dollars, especially when you know exactly where it came from.

Lastly on the topic of alcohol. Nobody I knew actively hunted while drinking, and if you're actively doing that, well, you're doing it wrong. The whole idea of hunting is to do it sober, and to get plastered once you get back to camp that evening. We hunted in the early morning until dusk, some people got drunk in the 2-3 hours they were back to camp for dinner, then passed out waking up for that next morning. Fishing is a bit different and largely depends on what type of fishing you're doing. Wouldn't do it in the ocean, or in the middle of a large lake, not unless you have somebody who is responsible with you. Couple of drinks on a wharf, or a river that isn't necessarily dangerous? Yeah why not. Again, it mostly defeats the purpose in both fishing and hunting. Being intoxicated is not only dangerous, but it makes you shitty at both of them.