Deleted

Non-constructive Gen-OT threads

I would like to propose action be taken to limit the number of threads being posted in general off-topic in which the content of the original post is simply a link to a third-party website, with no further contribution from the author.

I believe that this behaviour may already be proscribed by the guideline against "posts that contribute nothing". I would encourage moderators to take action to improve the overall quality of posts in Gen-OT, and preventing the mass-posting of pointless threads that are not particularly relevant or worthy of discussion.

I'm assuming you mean threads that are just news topics?

I honestly don't see much of an issue personally, I've seen threads that will just have waves of people attacking the OP's point of view over and over again for pages just because it happens to be the first opinion they see.

Granted, they'd just go for the next one on the front page I suppose.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tommypilgrim View Post
    I would like to propose action be taken to limit the number of threads being posted in general off-topic in which the content of the original post is simply a link to a third-party website, with no further contribution from the author.

I believe that this behaviour may already be proscribed by the guideline against "posts that contribute nothing". I would encourage moderators to take action to improve the overall quality of posts in Gen-OT, and preventing the mass-posting of pointless threads that are not particularly relevant or worthy of discussion.
    Well, how I understand you on this, but I don't think it would be good change. I do hate OP's with a link and a small line of text.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Well, how I understand you on this, but I don't think it would be good change. I do hate OP's with a link and a small line of text.

As far as I'm concerned. If people just want to re-blog new links without starting the discussion they can make their own webpage for it.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    What if topics are so broad that the person doesn't want to hand hold you into on partictular facet of discussion?

Threads like that are nice because they can pretty much go anywhere depending on where people want to take it.

Not wanting to hold your hand isn't "non constructive", it's letting you decide the direction of the topic itself.

I like the articles and the eventual train wreck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    As far as I'm concerned. If people just want to re-blog new links without starting the discussion they can make their own webpage for it.
    Oh you mean when they quote some article they could have just linked and say nothing? Well, I also agree this should stop I don't think a few of them have any original thoughts.

10+ Year Old Account
    If the thread results in productive discussion, it's not non-constructive.

As a matter of personal preference, I agree it is better if the OP gives their own opinion or insight rather than just pasting a link, but I don't think this is an issue that requires intervention from the moderator team.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |