Page 1 of 2
LastLast

is mistweaver fun in WoD?

It was incredibly fun in mop, so I decided to try it again in wod.

I'm level 98 so far, but Ive found mistweaver healing incredibly boring. I hate the new stance dancing, i hate the uplift cast time, does the spec get funner later on or should i stop now?

MW is now and always has been a dreadful spec to play in 5 mans. In fact it should have gotten noticeably less irritating for 5 mans now that Soothing has a 0.5 second cooldown instead of triggering the full GCD and it actually does something now compared to MoP. I'm not really even sure why you'd be using Crane or Uplift in 5 mans at all because Eminence sucked in MoP for that and so did Uplift, and they still do.

It's pretty different once you get into raids. The whole ReM/Uplift interaction is way more interesting now than it was back then because of Pool of Mists and not having to play entirely around TFT's cooldown. Single target healing is actually possible now instead of ridiculously bad, and Crane can actually do damage when you want it to. The whole spec is noticeably more flexible and less confining than it was in MoP because like 75% of the spells in MoP were just plain useless.

If you're looking for it to be fun in 5 mans though... no it never gets better.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree that the cast time on uplift is annoying, but basically every healer got hit by the same [Stupid Nerf Bat]. MW is a lot of fun in raids, it's never really shined in 5 mans simply because it doesn't play very well in a such a small group setting. I have seen a few geared MW monks rip up 5 mans while fist weaving, but imo fistweaving is still pretty blah, it just feels like a crappy version of WW to me. MW is lots of fun, get to 100 get some gear and hop into lfr or a raid group and you'll find it a lot more enjoyable.

I don't know why you wouldn't be using crane in 5 mans. With a decent tank you can crane the entire dungeon, especially at 100 with ChiEx.

7+ Year Old Account
    is anything fun in WoD?

I like MW in PvP, it's not quite as mobile as it used to be with the god like healing orbs but still..

MW is totally different in 5 mans and I agree it's very boring. Your play style is totally different in 5 mans. You aren't 100 yet, but PoM becomes pretty useless as you only have 5 people that can have ReM which is easily manageable with the CD. Uplift becomes pretty much useless as the heal on single targets is very small and you can't even get enough ReMs out for it to be optimal(you need 6 targets). It comes down to a lot of Soothing, Surging, and Enveloping.

That said, I do enjoy fistweaving and if your tank is good you can absolutely get away with fistweaving an entire dungeon. This does all depend on your tank and how well your DPS avoid damage. If your tank sucks at active mitigation or your DPS are standing in fire you're going to have a bad time anyways though.

Deleted
    Honestly, I find raiding and doing PvP on monk really fun and absorbing. And this comes from an ex-discipline priest, which are terrible dull to play nowadays. MW seem to be one of the few specs that haven't been dumbed down and are really engaging and sometimes demanding to play.

I'm not a fan of doing 5man content on it tho, usually swap to BrM to queue faster and be done with it without cringing too much.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    it's one of the more engaging healing specs, yeah, as the healing "rotation" is a lot more complex than say.. a resto shaman or a disc priest

I'm would say it is the most fun of them all, Crane in 5 man content and Serpent in raids are one of the more fun healing styles out there.

Lol everyone talking about using Crane in 5 mans apparently doesn't remember what it's like to do 5 mans with people that are clueless or without stupidly overgearing them. The OP said stance dancing, so obviously Crane isn't enough to do what he is doing if he finds himself needing to be in Serpent at all. Relying that "omg Crane is so fun and so OP and you can do any 5 man in Crane the entire time!" kind of ignores the fact that he's not talking about rolling over dungeons in 15-20 ilvl higher than what they drop but is talking about having no gear and queuing with randoms that are most of the time taking way more damage than they should.

Quote Originally Posted by Totaltotemic View Post
    Lol everyone talking about using Crane in 5 mans apparently doesn't remember what it's like to do 5 mans with people that are clueless or without stupidly overgearing them. The OP said stance dancing, so obviously Crane isn't enough to do what he is doing if he finds himself needing to be in Serpent at all. Relying that "omg Crane is so fun and so OP and you can do any 5 man in Crane the entire time!" kind of ignores the fact that he's not talking about rolling over dungeons in 15-20 ilvl higher than what they drop but is talking about having no gear and queuing with randoms that are most of the time taking way more damage than they should.
    I just leveled my horde monk in dungeons, was no problems at all going crane in those dungeons. Wasn't hard healing heroic dungeons with ChiExplosion with fresh ~620 ilvl either. Yes, during shitstorms and general cluelessness you had to step into Serpent to top up, but soon back into Crane again. Always going with decions like that is what make mistweavers fun, you always got a choice on how you want to heal.

Nobody called Crane OP, nobody said you can do ANY 5 man content the entire time while never having to swap to Serpent. Nobody talked about doing dungeons with a bunch of clueless people, or outgearing everything. Though I'm glad that you could fill us in on what the OP is talking about, telling us what we're all apparently saying and about how we've been doing it wrong by ever using Crane in a 5 man setting, even on day 2 of WoD. /slowclap

To the OP, it depends on what you find "fun". It's really what you make of it. Fistweaving is never useless, even in 5 mans where Mistweavers struggle. It can add some flavor to dungeon healing, even even when not "stupidly overgearing" them, and even with the cumbersome GCD loss from swapping stances when needed. Rolling in to DPS/stun/interrupt while still being able to heal can be entertaining to some, but it's not for everyone. As far as healers go, I find it more enjoyable than the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Evolved View Post
    nobody said you can do ANY 5 man content the entire time while never having to swap to Serpent.
    I don't know why you wouldn't be using crane in 5 mans. With a decent tank you can crane the entire dungeon, especially at 100 with ChiEx.
    You did. Apparently you can crane entire dungeons while leveling at as soon as you hit 100 with the worst DPS in the world if all you have is a decent tank. That's literally what you said and also that you have no idea why someone wouldn't use Crane.

Telling someone that obviously isn't familiar with the spec to go into Crane and that they're doing it wrong if they don't is probably the single worst piece of advice you can give to someone that hasn't played MW in over a year.
    Last edited by Totaltotemic; 2015-10-07 at 01:47 AM.

Nowhere in there did I say you can do ANY 5 man content the ENTIRE time without EVER going into Serpent. Nor did I say you were doing it wrong for not. I said there's no reason to completely avoid Crane (unless of course, you have no interest in it) and depending on the tank it's possible to use it the entire dungeon, "literally". Myself, and I'm sure many others managed to use it just fine, with little to no experience/gear the day after release.

Telling someone that "I'm not really even sure why you'd be using Crane... in 5 mans", making out to be completely useless, is some pretty shoddy advice. It's pretty obvious that's the ridiculous notion that I was countering.
    Last edited by Evolved; 2015-10-07 at 03:30 AM.

I haven't raided with it yet but I love it. I play Arena and BG's with it mostly. So far it's the most fun I've had with any healer and I've played them all fairly extensively except for Holy Pally.

7+ Year Old Account
    Playing a Mistweaver in WoD has been my most fun experience on any healing spec in WoW, period. I don't mind the uplift cast time, because if you take Pool of Mists, you're effectively setting off a huge heal bombs on like upwards of 18 people with hots. It feels good to Chi Brew while casting Uplift. Aside from that mechanic though, the throughput feels strong, Soothing Mist still feels unique to me, Revival is an incredibly powerful, no bullshit cooldown, and we have a few other powerful tools at our disposable. I love the mobility, active mana regeneration, and flavor.

I don't PvP because of the state of things, really, but PvE wise I think it's really fun. I'd hold out for Pool of Mists and see how you like it when you really get into a groove. I think it's a nice balance of engaging and relaxing, with enough options that make it feel like an adaptable spec, which I've always felt was supposed to be the quintessential Monk niche.

I'm confused why people would fistweave 5mans with ChiEx. The Eminence healing you do with CE is AoE so most of that won't go on the tank, and the healing portion of ChiEx is split between the tank, you, and any melee, so again the tank is receiving very little of that healing, not to mention Pool of Mists will do more DPS.
    Legion Mistweaver Stat Weights SPREADSHEET --- Stat weights DISCUSSION THREAD
    Follow @GeodewMW for off-topic funsies and notifications for important MW theorycrafting posts!
    IF WE MISS YOUR QUESTION, please ask again! You're not being annoying, I promise

Quote Originally Posted by Geodew View Post
    I'm confused why people would fistweave 5mans with ChiEx. The Eminence healing you do with CE is AoE so most of that won't go on the tank, and the healing portion of ChiEx is split between the tank, you, and any melee, so again the tank is receiving very little of that healing, not to mention Pool of Mists will do more DPS.
    This. As far as I'm aware(and I do a lot of fistweaving) ChiEx doesn't do damage cleave as a MW, just healing cleave. Best case scenario you'd do more AoE healing IF everyone is stacked and less damage overall.

7+ Year Old Account
    Extend life is the only 'fun' in WOD.

Dying by raid cooldown is never fun. (Revival dispels Unstable Affliction.)
    Nothing to do when renewing mist allies die is never fun.
    Bullshit utility is never fun. (Crane)
    Relying so much on RJW is never fun. (PVP makes RJW bullshit no matter in Arena, Rated BG or Huge BG.)
    GotS is never fun.
    MT restoring 3 times unbuffed spirit mana is never fun.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cqwrteur View Post
    Extend life is the only 'fun' in WOD.
    It really is fun, but that is mostly because it is so powerful.