10+ Year Old Account

Comfortable, over-ear headphones

Good Morning MMO,

I need your recommendations when it comes to over-ear headphone that will be comfortable over my big head. Preferably comfy and with good audio quality. Budget is < US$300

GO!

Deleted
    http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-D...rdynamic+dt770

These are open and will let sound leak through but has a different sound stage as a result.

http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-7...rdynamic+dt770

closed, more of your typical headphones style, doesn't let sound leak as much.

With a budget of $300, if you don't have one already, get a USB DAC like
    http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-E10K-Head...ords=fiio+e10k

I use the audio technica M50 however comfortable isn't its strongest point at all.

There are few headphone options as well in this tier but these are a good strong point to start on I guess.

http://www.amazon.com/HyperX-Cloud-G...yper+x+headset

I use these and I find them VERY comfortable and find the sound quality very good for the price point.

http://www.amazon.com/HyperX-Cloud-G...hyperx+headset

I also just noticed these. They look like a straight upgrade from what I'm currently using.
    Last edited by noahjam326; 2015-10-06 at 03:09 PM.

Deleted
    Now you see I own those headsets as well, I own like a total of 5-6 headphones and though its not trash, my audio technicas which are inline with the price of the beyerdynamics I linked and more comparable to each other to be a lot better on sound quality or rather the response and clarity on highs and lows, I found the kingstons to be lackluster on every element of sound, bass, mids and treble.

They become harsh at high volumes and the highs have a slight tinny sound and the bass isn't as responsive or hits the lows as well as it should do but the provided foam pads are very comfy, but they are a lot better then most other gaming headsets and is a good price for what they are for a headset personally speaking.
    Last edited by mmoc80f347fccc; 2015-10-06 at 03:23 PM.

Deleted
    A word of warning about any Beyerdynamic DT recommendations. I no longer wear my DT770 Pro headphones when I don't need to because I find them very uncomfortable. When I first got them I loved them and found them extremely soft and well fitting, but then my first pair of pads got worn due to stupidly wearing them with wet hair, and since then after buying many different kinds of pads I dread wearing the thing. I've gotten so sick of changing the cushions over and over trying to find something that works but nothing seems right and I can't stand the irritation it causes around my ears. Obviously a lot of people find these comfortable, as did I when I first got them, but beware, you could wake up one day to find they aren't as comfortable as they once were. >.<
    Last edited by mmoc30274401ab; 2015-10-06 at 03:22 PM.

I'm not an audiophile, so I don't feel qualified to give a nuanced response - however I've been very happy with my Sennheiser 380 Pro. I bought them mainly for use at work to help me focus (and block out the background noise) and I've used them for hours consecutively.

Comfort-wise, the nod goes to my sennheiser hd 598s. Very light, little clamp. The Beyers are good too, but I wouldn't recommend that or hd 380 or m50 over hd 598 in comfort though . Audio-wise, depends on your tastes. They all have different sound signatures.

+1 to getting a dac/amp like e10k

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.amazon.com/HyperX-Cloud-G.../dp/B00SAYCXWG

I use these, they are really comfortable noise canceling heaphones with great sound. They are usb for the 7.1 surround sound but you can take that off for an aux that you can plug into your phone or similar devices.

I guess it's "old" now, but my Corsair Vengeance 1500 is the best, most comfortable headset I've ever owned. It completely covers the ears and has a lot of padding. I think it's harder to actually buy the 1500 now, but there are "updated" versions of it (one of them is called the H1500 or something like that if you look it up).

I'm a big fan of Corsair products in general.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2015-10-07 at 01:13 PM.

While I appreciate you all love your Kingston HyperXes, TurtleBeaches, Corsairs or Razers, they aren't objectively very good in the audio quality department which the OP requests.
    Comfort is of course subjective, so I can only use myself for comparison.

For a 300$~ budget, you are outside the HD600 range of headphones, so I suggest not maxing it out either.

HD598 are open and very comfortable for most, even for me and I wear glasses. Classic Sennheiser warm sound.

AKG K701 or Q701 are well-celebrated for their reference sound, and from what I've tried them, comfortable.

DT770 (32 ohm unless you have an amplifier) is also a good choice. They are comfortable and I appreciate the sound, although not as much as I do Sennheiser. I didn't have a long time to spend with them, so I can only refer to other people for their sound signature.

I'd suggest putting the rest of the budget toward getting a headphone amp.
    &nbsp;

I've been wondering about this too. I've gone through many pairs of cans that people claimed were comfortable, and all of them, I couldn't wear them for more than an hour before my head started hurting.

It seems like the pressure that the headset is exerting on the sides of my head, is what's causing the pain. Right now I'm using Koss PortaPro headphones, but with two big memoryfoam velour pads against the earpieces. These things are damn soft, but even so, the sides of my head start getting sore after only an hour or so.

So...I guess I'd be looking for the most lightweight headphones possible? Something that won't squeeze the sides of my head.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    While I appreciate you all love your Kingston HyperXes, TurtleBeaches, Corsairs or Razers, they aren't objectively very good in the audio quality department which the OP requests.
    Comfort is of course subjective, so I can only use myself for comparison.

For a 300$~ budget, you are outside the HD600 range of headphones, so I suggest not maxing it out either.

HD598 are open and very comfortable for most, even for me and I wear glasses. Classic Sennheiser warm sound.

AKG K701 or Q701 are well-celebrated for their reference sound, and from what I've tried them, comfortable.

DT770 (32 ohm unless you have an amplifier) is also a good choice. They are comfortable and I appreciate the sound, although not as much as I do Sennheiser. I didn't have a long time to spend with them, so I can only refer to other people for their sound signature.

I'd suggest putting the rest of the budget toward getting a headphone amp.
    My HD 598s arrived today and while they are good it seems that I need a DAC. With my ASUS z97-A i can sometimes hear hissing and static.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skytip View Post
    My HD 598s arrived today and while they are good it seems that I need a DAC. With my ASUS z97-A i can sometimes hear hissing and static.
    The soundchip of that board is low. So I would either get a DAC or a soundcard. I am using mine with a Soundblaster Z and I have no issues with hissing or static.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-P...iser+game+zero

Allthough I would not recommend to use them without a above average soundcard that can handle them to get the mouse out of them. They do work fine with 30 oHM devices too but you miss out on a lot.

USB soundcards wont be enough. Have used the sennheiser PC350 and game ones now for a good few years and love them. Only replaced them because my head is dirty.