Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    We've got a year to decide still, atm Im keeping the desktop to windows 7

My laptop is 8 and I hate it. But, my friends been on 10 since day 1 and he hasn't got a good word to say about it. Also all the comp scis I know kick off about privacy and monitoring etc

Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    We've got a year to decide still, atm Im keeping the desktop to windows 7

My laptop is 8 and I hate it. But, my friends been on 10 since day 1 and he hasn't got a good word to say about it. Also all the comp scis I know kick off about privacy and monitoring etc
    A year? more like half a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuyuli View Post
    A year? more like half a year.
    A year at the time of his post.
    Nice necro btw.

At this point im not sure why you wouldn't want to. Upgrade to windows 10, take off the stupid search thing that clutters the taskbar. install classic shell, wallah! a better experience than windows 7 immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by GarlicGuy View Post
    I have a Dell, and twice a day a window will pop up telling me to reserve my upgrade to Windows 10. Unlike most folks, I actually like Windows 8.x, once I got used to it. I can't find any way to disable that message, or I would. It even pops up on screen while I play WoW.
    Just do it. Windows 8 won't receive any new Features in the future.

Or atleast try it. When you upgrade you'll have a downgrade button in the Settings for the next 30 days(works very well)!

Deleted
    Isn't Microsoft going to charge for updates for 10 after a year and that's why it's free? (Everyone downloads for free then hit with paid updates).

How is it no one on this thread has even mentioned that Windows 10 is just one giant virus? It steals all of your personal data, records it in live time, and if on a network reaches out toward other non windows 10 computers and steals that information as well. Serious privacy issues involved here and shocked no one really cares to bring it up? Are all of you that naive?
    slate .com /articles/technology/bitwise/2015/08/windows_10_privacy_problems_here_s_how_bad_they_are_and_how_to_plug_them.html

forbes .com /sites/gordonkelly/2015/11/02/microsoft-confirms-unstoppable-windows-10-tracking/#2715e4857a0b136bd89b2f4a

wired .com /2015/08/windows-10-security-settings-need-know/

If your that obsessed with windows 8/10 use wired recommended settings. Seriously go back to windows 7 if you want a stable operating system or buy an apple.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MaraStarfury View Post
    Isn't Microsoft going to charge for updates for 10 after a year and that's why it's free? (Everyone downloads for free then hit with paid updates).
    It's free cause Microsoft wants more people on Windows 10 for the app store. They also want to establish Windows 10 before that year is up so they can continue to charge for Windows.

15+ Year Old Account
    why is everyone replying to a necroed thread?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    why is everyone replying to a necroed thread?
    You have to have your daily "bash windows 10 - should I upgrade or not?" talk somewhere. Might as well have it here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    It's free cause Microsoft wants more people on Windows 10 for the app store. They also want to establish Windows 10 before that year is up so they can continue to charge for Windows.
    Microsoft is always going to be able to charge for Windows. We don't have any other choice other than Windows unless someone like Google decides to make Linux usable for the average user. And even then our entire average user ecosystem is still built upon Windows with years of development. Google won't make magic instantly.

Windows is what it is today for a reason, you can try to make it look like Linux is better at everything but it isn't. It's not nearly as practical nor straight forward.

The only other option for normal users is OSX, but this one is tied to Apple computers. Yes you can make a hackintosh but if you can you aren't a normal user to begin with.
    Last edited by Artorius; 2016-01-20 at 07:02 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    Microsoft is always going to be able to charge for Windows.
    Microsoft is realizing that Windows adoption is getting harder with each release. Especially in a market where no one else charges for an OS. On top of that, there's growing interest in Linux. Eventually Windows will be free, but it doesn't mean Microsoft can't can't get what they can before the inevitable.
    We don't have any other choice other than Windows unless someone like Google decides to make Linux usable for the average user. And even then our entire average user ecosystem is still built upon Windows with years of development. Google won't make magic instantly.
    If Google gets involved it won't be something people would want. Look at ChromeOS and how that turned out. It would just be another method to the Google Play Store.

10+ Year Old Account
    ChromeOS was very polished to be honest, they were just very stubborn about their "do everything at the web" idea. Which made it's ruin.

Now that they've merged it into Android, I want to see what will happen.

If you want to explore more and want to be more updated then install windows 10. If you are contented the one you used to use, then don't install. For me i'm satisfied with my windows 7.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadstar24 View Post
    How is it no one on this thread has even mentioned that Windows 10 is just one giant virus? It steals all of your personal data, records it in live time, and if on a network reaches out toward other non windows 10 computers and steals that information as well. Serious privacy issues involved here and shocked no one really cares to bring it up? Are all of you that naive?
    slate .com /articles/technology/bitwise/2015/08/windows_10_privacy_problems_here_s_how_bad_they_are_and_how_to_plug_them.html

forbes .com /sites/gordonkelly/2015/11/02/microsoft-confirms-unstoppable-windows-10-tracking/#2715e4857a0b136bd89b2f4a

wired .com /2015/08/windows-10-security-settings-need-know/

If your that obsessed with windows 8/10 use wired recommended settings. Seriously go back to windows 7 if you want a stable operating system or buy an apple.
    Best never use a mobile phone,have an internet connection or use an Anti-virus. Apple also track everything you do in the iOS AND can remotely disable/delete apps they don't like or want you to have access to.....

Fearmongering. It is strong on the internets.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    Apple also track everything you do in the iOS AND can remotely disable/delete apps they don't like or want you to have access to.....
    Windows Phone can, and has done, that as well you know. So can Android although that can be modified through custom code.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Miuku View Post
    Windows Phone can, and has done, that as well you know. So can Android although that can be modified through custom code.
    That's right Skyrim Bear. Android phones have Carrier IQ which is installed by the phone manufacturer by request of the phone carrier. Windows Phone and iPhone has something implemented by Microsoft and Apple but the details about it are hard to find.

If you want to never be tracked when using computers then your only choice is Linux for desktops and laptops, and a DEODOX and ODEX ROM for you Android Phone, which is just about all the available roms for your phone that isn't stock. If you use Apple or Windows devices then the government knows about your feitsh. You know the one with the hair and the tutu. You know the one I'm talking about.

But seriously it's not like Microsoft and Apple are going to use this information against you, besides customizing your advertisements with bikini wax's and sale's for tutu's. Which they'll just sell this info to advertisers like Google and Facebook. BTW, you should buy this copy of Office 365.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Miuku View Post
    Exactly what I mean. Everything tracks you.

I did find one thing funny. A facebook/twitter whore I know bitched about how they didn't want Microsoft knowing everything about them... While tweeting 200+ times a day where she was and what she was doing, as well as facebook check-ins every fucking 5 mins..... Irony much?

Deleted
    Listen pal, you dont have to wear a condom in a whore house but its a good idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems like Microsoft has done f*cked up.

Some PC games will crash switching from windowed mode to full screen, upon game resolution change, or upon launch due to a bug in Windows graphics stack. We have observed this with The Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Tomb Raider, Assassin’s Creed, and Metal Gear Solid V but it may occur with other titles as well.
    Time to queue the windows 10 plane.