Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

Is Oriental considered offensive worldwide?

Something that I was discussing earlier was whether oriental is considered offensive everywhere? In the UK Oriental was often used to refer to the Chinese & Japanese as Asian is synonymous with people of Indian subcontinent... However the question is do you think Oriental is offensive? Is it considered socially unacceptable in your country

Deleted
    Not offensive but dated.

It's not used often in the US, but it's also not offensive.

I referred to someone as a Chinese the other day, got a lot of flack because of it. Vietnamese, Taiwanese no problem, but Chinese triggers some people.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    My Korean friend used to get highly pissed off when someone called him oriental so I guess yes, some people take offense to it. He preferred to be called Asian.

10+ Year Old Account
    What Lilla Blomma said.

Personally, I use georgraphical terms to differentiate, generally. East-asian, south-american etc.
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not "offensive", in that it's used as a slur, but it's way outdated. When was the last time you referred to anything/anyone as "Occidental"? Same difference, really, since they're related terms.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've never considered it offensive, but then again I'm not Oriental/Asian/etc. I usually just ask a person what ethnicity they are and then just call them that.

It's kind of rare hearing it in the U.S., but as far as I know, it's fine. People tend to say 'Asian' or sometimes 'Eastern' when speaking about culture (ex: 10th Century Eastern art tends to feature X styles as opposed to 10th Century Western art, which features Y.) with Europe as the Western point of reference.

Deleted
    The word is so outdated that last time I typed oriental into google I got adds for funeral services.

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    Definitely dated, can't recall it being used for people in a long time. Porcelain or rugs and such might still be oriental but for people it does seem dated.

Deleted
    who cares if it is

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Something that I was discussing earlier was whether oriental is considered offensive everywhere? In the UK Oriental was often used to refer to the Chinese & Japanese as Asian is synonymous with people of Indian subcontinent... However the question is do you think Oriental is offensive? Is it considered socially unacceptable in your country
    I don't use the term, I call them asian, or if I know the exact country, I use that name.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilla Blomma View Post
    Not offensive but dated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    It's not "offensive", in that it's used as a slur, but it's way outdated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    The word is so outdated that last time I typed oriental into google I got adds for funeral services.
    Screw the lot of you.

The problem is, Asian usually refers to people from the sub-continent, so that's out. They obviously aren't Middle Eastern, so that's out. You can't call them Chinese, as lots of them aren't, so that's out. And now 'oriental' if for old people.

What inoffensive general description am I allowed to use goddamnit?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Screw the lot of you.

The problem is, Asian usually refers to people from the sub-continent, so that's out. They obviously aren't Middle Eastern, so that's out. You can't call them Chinese, as lots of them aren't, so that's out. And now 'oriental' if for old people.

East asian? Asian in Sweden is commonly associated with eastern asia.

10+ Year Old Account
    East asian? Asian in Sweden is commonly associated with eastern asia.
    Asian in Britain is generally used for Indians, Pakistanis, Bangladeshis, etc.

I've always called them Orientals, I'm buggered if I'm changing now.

Screw the lot of you.

so you typically go around talking about large groups of people as if they were a single unit?

maybe its best you dont know what to call "them"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apples View Post
    so you typically go around talking about large groups of people as if they were a single unit?

maybe its best you dont know what to call "them"
    Of course I do. It's especially helpful whenever someone asks me my nationality.

10+ Year Old Account

Damn right

There are other words that can be used if you want to be offensive, this a great word for explaining what you mean.

Deleted

I know, it irks me.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know, it irks me.
    That I use the term orientals? I don't use it that often.

We don't even talk that often. You never ring. You never write. Nothing. Nada. Zilch.