10+ Year Old Account

My Asus's Fan Does Not Turn off Most of The Time When I Close My Laptop

I have an Asus laptop and for what ever reason, the fan does not automatically stop most of the time when I close the laptop, so when I get it out of my bag (regular mobileedge bag), my computer is very warm and I know that cant be good for it.

I just switched to power saver mode to see if that helps. But I am wondering if there is anything else I can do.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've had this problem before. When you close the lid the laptop is trying to go into standby or hibernate, depending on what setting you set it to in Windows. But the laptop either isn't going into sleep mode or is crashing when it tries to. I've had this happen with my laptop only to come back to a very hot laptop, but my laptop runs Linux so a kernel update fixed the issue.

Check to see what settings you set your laptop for when you close the lid. It's also possible the laptop is waking up from sleep. I know Windows 10 likes to wake my desktop PC to apply updates.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mine is set to sleep. Should I instead switch it to hibernate? Sleep is the option for both plugged and unplugged.

Make sure it's not filled with dust. My ASUS fans stayed on for a bit after it closed because it was trying to cool down. Cleaned my fans/heat sinks and it stopped.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your sleep/hibernate file may be corrupted. Try to turn it off and turn it back on again. To do so, do this:

-Run CMD as Admin (Start > Search Command Prompt, Right click and choose Run As Admin) (In Windows 10, right click your Start Menu and choose Command Prompt (Admin)
    -typ in without the quotes "powercfg -h off" and press enter
    -typ in again without the quotes "powercfg -h on" and press enter

This will re-create the hiberfill.sys file on your C:\ drive (provided that C:\ is your main drive).

It happens to our HP laptops at work as well, this usually fixes it.
    Much love to Indicate for creating. Eis' work

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schadow View Post
    Your sleep/hibernate file may be corrupted. Try to turn it off and turn it back on again. To do so, do this:

-Run CMD as Admin (Start > Search Command Prompt, Right click and choose Run As Admin) (In Windows 10, right click your Start Menu and choose Command Prompt (Admin)
    -typ in without the quotes "powercfg -h off" and press enter
    -typ in again without the quotes "powercfg -h on" and press enter

This will re-create the hiberfill.sys file on your C:\ drive (provided that C:\ is your main drive).

It happens to our HP laptops at work as well, this usually fixes it.
    ok I did that. Im going to turn my computer on and off again to see if it helps

- - - Updated - - -

It seems to have worked. I set my computer to hibernate instead of sleep which also seems to help and I am on power save mode also. Seems to be working alright now. Thank you everyone.