Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Random Questions

Hey y'all! Ever had questions but never knew who to ask? Post them here!

My question is:

If caviar is supposed to be enjoyed with ivory or plastic utensils because they'll pick up the metallic taste of metal ones, why are they packaged in metal canisters?

Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post

My question is:

If caviar is supposed to be enjoyed with ivory or plastic utensils because they'll pick up the metallic taste of metal ones, why are they packaged in metal canisters?
    Because 100% of the crap around "fine foods" is just unscientific bullshit cognitive bias.

15+ Year Old Account
    WTF is up with mayonnaise on pizza?

10+ Year Old Account
    What's the deal with airplane food?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    Only people in northern Finland eat that shit. Considering the shared border with Norway up there, I blame your folk Revi.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

So you tell a funny joke to your friends at work and they laugh. You tell the guy at the drive though the joke and he laughs. You tell the mailman the joke and he laughs. You tell you gf the joke and she sits and stares at you like you lost your mind. Why the difference?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

From what I understand, the claim that metals ruin the taste of caviar is just a pervasive myth. The exception to this is with respect to sterling silver, which is apparently tarnished by caviar and vice versa. It's likely that when silver utensils were commonly used, it was essentially mandatory to consume caviar with a mother of pearl spoon. The practice likely just stuck around after society largely switched to using stainless steel and tin. Now, using ivory utensils is more a matter of tradition than actual necessity. So, to answer your question: Caviar is packaged in tin containers because it doesn't actually ruin the taste.
    Last edited by Anonymous1038853; 2015-10-11 at 05:42 PM.

My question is:

Then can is lined as well.

How can someone stand to lay in bed for days/weeks doing nothing but drugs and sleeping

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Only people in northern Finland eat that shit. Considering the shared border with Norway up there, I blame your folk Revi.
    A Turkish friend introduced me to it first, blame them!

15+ Year Old Account
    A Turkish friend introduced me to it first, blame them!
    Who else could "introduce" it to you anyway as all the pizza bakers are Turkish. o_O
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

is the Choco taco authentic mexican food?

Why do you park on a driveway and drive on a parkway?

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    So you tell a funny joke to your friends at work and they laugh. You tell the guy at the drive though the joke and he laughs. You tell the mailman the joke and he laughs. You tell you gf the joke and she sits and stares at you like you lost your mind. Why the difference?

Translation: "Women just aren't funny." "Some are."

I've never tried it but it sounds like a cheap and lazy dip.

Quote Originally Posted by Feali View Post
    What's the deal with airplane food?
    Is this your Seinfeld impression?

Quote Originally Posted by BonesTheRabbit View Post
    From what I understand, the claim that metals ruin the taste of caviar is just a pervasive myth. The exception to this is with respect to sterling silver, which is apparently tarnished by caviar and vice versa. It's likely that when silver utensils were commonly used, it was essentially mandatory to consume caviar with a mother of pearl spoon. The practice likely just stuck around after society largely switched to using stainless steel and tin. Now, using ivory utensils is more a matter of tradition than actual necessity. So, to answer your question: Caviar is packaged in tin containers because it doesn't actually ruin the taste.
    Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

Mine gives me a wtf dumbass? look too!....or tells me you're such a sexist pig!

Why does coffee and chocolate taste good together but beer and chocolate don't?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

A lot of good caviar is sold in glass jars. Once you open caviar it all stats to south- you ideally remove it from the container (metal, glass or whatever) and prepare it for serving. Caviar must be consumed wholly or thrown out once opened. You don't save it for later. So it's all or nothing and the clock is ticking as soon as the container seal is broken.

Certain materials make the caviar bitter to the taste. Mother of pearl/plastic is pretty neutral when reacting to the caviar.

- - - Updated - - -

Depends on the beer. Some Russian Imperial Stouts can have a chocolaty flavor that is not displeasing to the palette, for example. IPAs can be difficult to pair with chocolate.

(Edit: I have a Culinary Arts degree. Early on in life I wanted to be a Chef. But went a different way ultimately.)

Who invented all the words?
    Why do men have nipples?
    Why do people ask questions?
    If humans came from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?
    If jesus was born on the 25th of december, and our calendar starts counting years at his birth, why is Christmas not on 31th of december?

We bought a variety of flavoured beers for tasting and all thought chocolate beer was disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Depends on the beer. Some Russian Imperial Stouts can have a chocolaty flavor that is not displeasing to the palette, for example. IPAs can be difficult to pair with chocolate.

(Edit: I have a Culinary Arts degree. Early on in life I wanted to be a Chef. But went a different way ultimately.)
    A good Imperial Stout can handle chocolate. It will tend to have coffee notes by itself. Hell, it can even handle chili peppers.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by paluman View Post
    Who invented all the words?
    Why do men have nipples?
    Why do people ask questions?
    If humans came from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?
    If jesus was born on the 25th of december, and our calendar starts counting years at his birth, why is Christmas not on 31th of december?
    1. People.
    2. Curiosity is a biological advantage in some respects. It contributes to our human dominance of the planet via Increasing Complexity.
    3. Evolution. Evolving from X species does not terminate the other. It is more accurate to say humans and "monkeys" have common evolutionary ancestors. It wasn't like "monkey" -> modern day looking human.
    4. Erm. This is tricky to address. A Google search is a lot less perilous.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    A good Imperial Stout can handle chocolate. It will tend to have coffee notes by itself. Hell, it can even handle chili peppers.
    Indeed. Stouts are my favorite. In particular, the aforementioned Russian Imperial Stout. You could say I know it's pairing with chocolate well... firsthand. LOL