Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Okay? I care more what RPM and VORP indicate than what you think.

Wow! definitely didn't see that coming. I wonder if Westbrook will leave next year as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    So... Mavs are getting Bogut and Barnes. Interesting... is letting Chandler Parsons go for Barnes worth it? We will see.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    I think Klay is a better player.
    If Klay was traded and Kerr could no longer hide Steph on the weakest outside player every night, Golden State's opponents would be licking their chops. The numbers only manage to show Steph as an *average* NBA defender because Klay, a truly elite defender, handles 100% of the heavy lifting.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Steph Curry is 10th in defensive win shares. He is 6th among all point guards in dRPM.

Klay is 68th in defensive win shares. He is 8th among all shooting guards in dRPM.

Curry, Durant and Green are all much more valuable players than Thompson no matter which stats you attempt to cherry-pick.
    Last edited by kidsafe; 2016-07-05 at 01:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kidsafe View Post
    Steph Curry is top 10 in defensive win shares. He is 6th among all point guards in dRPM.

Did you miss the part where I explained that being paired with Klay alters what stats say?

Keep picking out stats. Don't, like, actually watch him try to D anybody up or anything. No need. Numbers can't lie... right? That must be why politicians use them

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Keep trying to use immeasurable intangibles in a numbers game. What's next, are you going to devalue Draymond because his shooting form has a hitch and a crowhop?
    Last edited by kidsafe; 2016-07-05 at 02:02 AM.

The credibility of statistics extend no further than than the ability of the reader to interpret them. You just drops stats showing Steph is a stronger defender than Klay. I won't be debating with you, I just can't take you seriously any more. Have a nice evening.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    And you don't understand the stats in question zero out the external influences like teammate contributions. Besides, the original point is who the best 3 players on the team are. Are you prepared to argue that Klay Thompson is a better package than Draymond Green? Draymond might not even be #3. He and Durant are basically #2a and #2b.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shame the Celtics didn't get KD, but with him basically making a pact with Curry and co. to get a ring and with him basically only having a 1 year contract, there's maybe a small chance he just gets his ring and then relaxes and joins whichever team will give him the best mix of quality surroundings and quality players, while still making him the no 1 guy on the team (instead of second fiddle to Curry).

In which case we'll do this whole thing again next year. xD

Also, especially for Crissi: (from twitter)

"Mavericks are a Gerald Green and Jason Thompson signing away from a Curry, Thompson, Green, Barnes, Bogut lineup."

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Guys. It's perfectly fine for any team to get assembled under the rules. Anyone bitching is just bitching. Don't hate the player hate the game.

The actual problem is that Kevin Durant got called really great. Even Jordan said KD was gonna be big. Huge. Everyone loves him and he's really good. But there's a tarnish in your victory if you join a team that's already won and literally made history without you. Winning teams look for role players. Recruiting a top 2 guy in the league is ridiculous. Actually, if I was a winning team the #1 person I'd want is Kevin Durant. He's the best player in the league in that regard.

So yeah they should be good if chemistry works (it should). Are GSW the favorites to win it all? They've been the favorites the past 2 years already so yeah. But KD being like the 2nd or 3rd best is definitely punk-ish. If they win I don't consider it to be a full win for him. It'd be like counting Kevin Love's rings. Yeah he won and he's good, but no one is gonna be like "oh yeah he got a ring. He's a real winner over other greats who never got a win."
    If there was a guy who I thought could make my Raptors a legit contender in the East, it would have been Durant, but I have no illusions that he'd ever consider coming to Toronto. Which is disappointing because it is a good market that has a pretty good team (easily a top 5 league wide right now) and has a whole country for a TV market. Eh, we lost Biyombo, but he can enjoy playing on a sub par Orlando Magic team that probably will squeak in as an 8 seed and get crushed by the Cavs. Honestly, I still feel pretty good about our chances of going deep in the playoffs again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Shame the Celtics didn't get KD, but with him basically making a pact with Curry and co. to get a ring and with him basically only having a 1 year contract, there's maybe a small chance he just gets his ring and then relaxes and joins whichever team will give him the best mix of quality surroundings and quality players, while still making him the no 1 guy on the team (instead of second fiddle to Curry).

In which case we'll do this whole thing again next year. xD

Also, especially for Crissi: (from twitter)

"Mavericks are a Gerald Green and Jason Thompson signing away from a Curry, Thompson, Green, Barnes, Bogut lineup."
    lols. We'd be the hand me down version of GSW xD

Durant got exactly what he wanted. A team that is ready made for a free ride to a finals run. He doesn't have to be "The Leader". He doesn't have to be "Kid Clutch". He doesn't even have to attempt (unsuccessfully) to play tough defense. Green and Thompson plug leaks pretty well. All he has to do for 32-36 minutes a game is just play his game. Iso, iso, and more iso. Curry and Thompson will handle the close out duties. I think the Thunder may be better off as long as Oladipo can be consistent and the bench plays well. It might be a good idea to resign Waiters. That and maybe sign or trade for a solid defensive minded SF that can guard multiple positions. I don't know. Is Maurice Harkless any good? <--- That's a joke.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malmmoc View Post
    If Klay was traded and Kerr could no longer hide Steph on the weakest outside player every night, Golden State's opponents would be licking their chops. The numbers only manage to show Steph as an *average* NBA defender because Klay, a truly elite defender, handles 100% of the heavy lifting.
    Klay's not an elite defender either. I think people are really underestimating what Draymond brings to this team defensively and how it impacts others. Bogut and Iggy as well in flashes.

Steph Curry is 10th in defensive win shares. He is 6th among all point guards in dRPM.

Klay is 68th in defensive win shares. He is 8th among all shooting guards in dRPM.

Curry, Durant and Green are all much more valuable players than Thompson no matter which stats you attempt to cherry-pick.
    I agree fully that Curry, Durant and Green are more valuable players than Thompson. I think people are a little enamored with the massive scoring surges Thompson's capable of and has shown, one of which played a major role in saving the Warrior's ass in the OKC series.

I do want to point out that I'm not entirely sold on Curry's defensive statistics. At least not without further context. After game 2, Cleveland made it a point to run switches with the ball handler and whoever was guarding Curry in almost every offensive possession regardless of the offensive player on Curry. Could've been Shumpert. Could've been Tristan. Didn't matter. They attacked the ever living fuck out of Curry. Lead to the Cavs going 4-1 in the remaining 5 games, with net rating/game of +13. Curry during this stretch gave up 48.3% FG/40% 3P and was absolutely abysmal with anything inside 10 feet (66%+ FG).

---

Damn, sounds like Horford reached out to the Durant to ask if he was going to stick around in OKC to which Horford received a vague answer. Pushed him to sign with the Celtics instead.
    Last edited by jregz; 2016-07-05 at 03:55 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jregz View Post
    Damn, sounds like Horford reached out to the Durant to ask if he was going to stick around in OKC to which Horford received a vague answer. Pushed him to sign with the Celtics instead.
    OKC could have had KD, Westbrook, Horford. Now they're looking at possibly not having any of them and being in full rebuild mode if OKC trades Westbrook before he leaves town and doesn't give them anything in return.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lebron and Wade... the bromance returns!

Interesting for Gasol.

Also Dirk resigned for 40 million for 2 years. That pushes them over cap but under luxury tax bar. They'll have him signed last so this is possible to do with...what was it, Bird something? Super happy for him though, since he has regularly agreed to be under paid for his contribution for ever.

Quote Originally Posted by jregz View Post

Times change apparently.
    Hes still technically not playing for the Heat and the Lakers . And from what Im gathering he didnt exactly take less money to go there did he? The Big Heat 3 all redid contracts to take less than they should have to stack the deck, this is just a stupid NBA cap transition year so people like Mike Conley are making 30 mil a season. The problem isnt having great players play together, its having great players taking far less than earned in order to play together, rigging the system.

- - - Updated - - -

And you don't understand the stats in question zero out the external influences like teammate contributions. Besides, the original point is who the best 3 players on the team are. Are you prepared to argue that Klay Thompson is a better package than Draymond Green? Draymond might not even be #3. He and Durant are basically #2a and #2b.
    You did not just compare Durant and Draymond in the same sentence

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    I think this move is worse than Lebron's because Durant didn't have to move. He had a very good, young, deep roster around him. When Lebron left the Cavs, they went from a 60 win team to a 19 win team. The Thunder without Durant almost made the playoffs last year. I think Lebron made every effort to win in Cleveland, realized it was hopeless, and went to Miami. Lebron's move killed Cleveland but turned Miami from an also ran into a contender. Durant's move destroys a contender and turns another into a superpower.
    Not this ridiculous argument again. THEY WERE THE NUMBER ONE SEED MULTIPLE TIMES! How is that a hopeless situation give me a break.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure if OKC should even bother trading Russ or not, now that they have all this extra room why haven't we heard their name in the Wade talks? Try to get him on a 1+1 deal and if and when it fails miserably, Russ and Wade will both be off the books and they can start from scratch. Any team you trade Russ to is likely not going to be able to give you lottery picks and what players are you going to get back that makes sense and matches salaries?

Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    Sure is a busy week.
    For sure. Sitting around in my pool and grilling for 4th of July was taxing. I'm still sore.

And you guys Lebron meant he was going back to Miami when he said Wade and him would be reunited...

If Heat don't want to give him good money he doesn't really have a reason to stay. He's been loyal and played his career with them but he has another 3-5 years left and he alone can't really be the superhero to get them a championship anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Also Dirk resigned for 40 million for 2 years. That pushes them over cap but under luxury tax bar. They'll have him signed last so this is possible to do with...what was it, Bird something? Super happy for him though, since he has regularly agreed to be under paid for his contribution for ever.
    Wow that's some pretty good money. He has no reason to leave Dallas even to be competitive anymore.

Fuck man what the fuck is with these numbers?

Btw I saw you post that you're learning R. Lol. Learn something cooler. Actually R is pretty niche and good for nerdy things...

Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    Not sure if OKC should even bother trading Russ or not, now that they have all this extra room why haven't we heard their name in the Wade talks? Try to get him on a 1+1 deal and if and when it fails miserably, Russ and Wade will both be off the books and they can start from scratch. Any team you trade Russ to is likely not going to be able to give you lottery picks and what players are you going to get back that makes sense and matches salaries?
    I doubt Wade is interested in OKC.

I thought the moving Ibaka move was to clear up cap space to make KD happier. It probably was. But it's a shame that now OKC has to blow up the team. I mean they beat the fucking Spurs and were 3-1 above GSW. Kinda sad. We know that Seattle is good at drafting (or rather fortune smiles on them) so they've got them going for them at least...