Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner981 View Post
    Doctrine shouldn't be taught in schools (well, at least public schools), be it religious or secular. Teaching history is fine, even if its history that you don't believe was 'good' or 'right'. I see no reason why people can't be educated on what Islam is. In fact, unless there truly is indoctrination going on, everyone should support it, even opponents of Islam, because our children should know what it is.
    What is "secular doctrine" here?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chromeshellking View Post
    And that is the problem we cannot ensure that consistency.
    You can literally say that about every law ever written.
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes
    Or should I?

Quote Originally Posted by Xisa View Post
    I don't disagree, but that logic can literally be applied to every law ever written.
    Some very much more so than others. Knowing the place and mind with which its created can help us make an informed guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Why should the way we teach about religions in school apply equally to all religions?
    You can ask why should the way we teach history in school apply equally to the history of all other nations?

Good.

I distinctly remember even at age 8-12 wondering why the fuck i'm learning about Joseph and his rainbow coat inbetween Science class and Math class.

Like holy shit, get a grip on reality. Some bunk ass story about Moses parting the sea. My favourite part was my realization that people actually believe this shit when I was around 11. The laughs I had over that shit.

Thank you.

As a side note, I was triggered when I realized no one taught me about Odin or Thor. I had to learn how to worship Thor by myself and am now an acolyte of the Thunder God.

Quote Originally Posted by Etrayu View Post
    Good.

I distinctly remember even at age 8-12 wondering why the fuck i'm learning about Joseph and his rainbow coat inbetween Science class and Math class.

Like holy shit, get a grip on reality. Some bunk ass story about Moses parting the sea. My favourite part was my realization that people actually believe this shit when I was around 11. The laughs I had over that shit.
    Maybe someday you might want to have a deeper understanding of Shakespeare, Milton, Blake, Steinbeck, CS Lewis, etc. Or maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by Merkava View Post
    You can ask why should the way we teach history in school apply equally to the history of all other nations?
    I have no idea what this question is supposed to be relevant to. If they're pushing education on religions off to 10th grade (which I think is stupid but entirely legal) than that rule should be applied equally to all religions, not just the "foreign" ones. I think there's valid reason to suspect they won't.

The very reasonable question is, how certain can we reasonably be that this will be applied equally?
    That's a good question.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some very much more so than others. Knowing the place and mind with which its created can help us make an informed guess.
    I know the place and mindset of this particular law better than anyone on this forum.

It's using a sledgehammer to to tap in a crown molding nail, but whatever it takes to sink in the reason and logic for "Religion doesn't need to be taught as truth in schools" is okay with me.
    Or should I?

Deleted
    They should just removed religious education altogether and replace it with something useful.

Quote Originally Posted by buck008 View Post
    Religious doctrine should never be taught in schools period. You can learn about religions, their history, and the basics of what they believe. There is no need to teach dogma in a secular school.
    I don't think there's an issue if you teach some Christian literature in, for example, an English class if it's made it explicitly clear that these stories are, as everything covered in the class, fictional. That said, the only reason I even consider this concession is because most classic European literature is steeped in some form of, or at least references some form of, biblical literature.
    Deathknight's do it using disease, blood and the power of the unholy. Warlocks do it with dark demons by their side. Mages do it with summoned arcane powers. Druids do it using the forces of nature. Rogues do it through stealth, poison's, shadows and....from behind. Paladins do it by calling to the light for aid. Shamans do it with the help of the elements. Priests do it through the holy light.
    But warriors....
    Warriors just fucking do it.

I have no idea what this question is supposed to be relevant to. If they're pushing education on religions off to 10th grade (which I think is stupid but entirely legal) than that rule should be applied equally to all religions, not just the "foreign" ones. I think there's valid reason to suspect they won't.
    In a majority English speaking nation, which happens to be a Christian majority nation as well, why not spend more time focusing on Christianity? Not at the exclusion of other religions, but why mandate equal time?

I know the place and mindset of this particular law better than anyone on this forum.

It's using a sledgehammer to to tap in a crown molding nail, but whatever it takes to sink in the reason and logic for "Religion doesn't need to be taught as truth in schools" is okay with me.
    I think going through your primary education without knowing the core foundation of (in the case of Islam alone) something like a sixth of the human race to be a rather poor sort of education. Teaching about what a religion believes and does is no more an endorsement of that belief than teaching about communism.

- - - Updated - - -

In a majority English speaking nation, which happens to be a Christian majority nation as well, why not spend more time focusing on Christianity? Not at the exclusion of other religions, but why mandate equal time?
    I'm not talking about "time spent", I'm talking about the delay this law is trying to inflict. Not equal time, equal application of the debated law.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not pushing off reference and study of religion. It's pushing off the study of the tenants and fundamentals of Individual religions (for academia) until the students are more mentally developed.
    Or should I?

It's not pushing off reference and study of religion. It's pushing off the study of the tenants and fundamentals of Individual religions (for academia) until the students are more mentally developed.
    I don't see any particular reason these kids can't get a firm understand of something like the Pillar of Islam. I mean actual muslim children learn them long before middle school. I doubt christian children are any less intelligent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because that's a tacit enforcement of it by the state. Sure teach how it's influenced policies, but don't teach the dogma of it more than others.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Because that's a tacit enforcement of it by the state. Sure teach how it's influenced policies, but don't teach the dogma of it more than others.
    And on the matter of "equal time", I can see a pretty solid argument for spending less time on Christianity, as children in Tennessee I imagine already have quite a bit of exposure to it. Maybe better to focus on teaching them about things they're less likely to already know.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think going through your primary education without knowing the core foundation of (in the case of Islam alone) something like a sixth of the human race to be a rather poor sort of education. Teaching about what a religion believes and does is no more an endorsement of that belief than teaching about communism.
    I agree to an extent, but I don't kids need to be learning Ave Maria or Dua Ahad until they're developed to the extent they can discern it academically.
    Or should I?