Mental health medications

So I'm bipolar and have to take seroquel in order for me to keep my moods mostly stable. I appreciate that I goto the VA clinic here in town as a veteran and they mostly pay for my meds. I pay an $8 copay for a 30 day supply. I'm in a support group on facebook for people with bipolar disorder. It's a place where people can get together and discuss it. exchange advice and stuff for how to deal with the disease. There's one constant that I see brought up all the time on it is the cost of some people's meds. One girl says that a one month supply for her Abilify costs $800. She can't afford them due to the price and not having insurance currently. another person has stated that their abilify costs over $1000 a month and that's with insurance.

I think that it's quite obvious that if the price is that high for meds then it's pretty obvious why so many people with bipolar disorder and other mental illnesses go untreated. Something needs to be done about the price of meds.

Deleted
    Get a system like Sweden.

Quote Originally Posted by Xistenz View Post
    Nothing that good ol' Jack Daniels won't fix.
    It's really not a good idea for people with mood disorders to take a depressant.

15+ Year Old Account
    Look at Europe and learn.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    Many drug companies offer medications free to low income patients. Are you sure these people have done their homework on what programs might be out there for them to get access to treatment?

Not much you can do other than masturbate over the prices of meds here in europe. Maybe order them from India or somewhere, if that's possible? I've heard they make some good cheap meds there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    One girl says that a one month supply for her Abilify costs $800. She can't afford them due to the price and not having insurance currently. another person has stated that their abilify costs over $1000 a month and that's with insurance.
    Also -- this doesn't make sense -- the girl without insurance will pay $800 for Abilify but the girl with insurance will pay $1000? Someone is making up numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    Also -- this doesn't make sense -- the girl without insurance will pay $800 for Abilify but the girl with insurance will pay $1000? Someone is making up numbers.
    Not always I had knee surgery and the physical therapy coat for me was 75 bucks without insurance 160 with insurance.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    You do realize that dosage and how much insurance will cover can vary right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    You do realize that dosage and how much insurance will cover can vary right?
    I didn't think about dosage.

But it seems that something is awfully awry if you end up paying more via insurance out of pocket than you would if you just paid wholesale. That absolutely doesn't make any sense to me and seems that there has to be another factor (like dosage as you pointed out) in play.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Look at Europe and learn.
    Abilify is just as expensive here, it is still under patent so no cheap copies yet, according to my contact person.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sahyia View Post
    Abilify is just as expensive here, it is still under patent so no cheap copies yet, according to my contact person.
    It's not expensive here for the one taking it. You pay max 2200(270$) sek per year for prescription medicine here.

$100 for 60 20mg Abilify pills in Mexico. A lot of people cross the border and buy there, not sure if it's a controlled substance or not so US customs might seize the pills and fine you. Valium is a controlled substance for example.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

I used to do inspections in Pharma plants. Cost to run, and build plants is very high. Process to get approval is expensive and if something does not make it through FDA approval it can be a major loss on money. Due to requirements a single 90 degree tube fitting would be about $100 before install, and this was years back.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilla Blomma View Post
    It's not expensive here for the one taking it. You pay max 2200(270$) sek per year for prescription medicine here.
    It is free for the first 2 years here, im just talking about the base cost, before you get help or anything. Paper I have mentioned 3328 dkk pr. pack.
    We help the sick, but the reason they have to pay so much is because its still covered by patent. Solian a similar product costs 1/15th of the price of Abilify because patent ran out.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sahyia View Post
    It is free for the first 2 years here, im just talking about the base cost, before you get help or anything.
    How exactly are you buying those meds without a prescription aka "get help"?
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    How exactly are you buying those meds without a prescription aka "get help"?
    State health insurance paying parts of it? I worded it wrong, I meant help with affording it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Another factor being glossed over is many countries have government controlled pricing for meds -- the US does not.